Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Getting Better

patwhite101ppatwhite101 Posts: 1,213
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:34 AM in Chronic Pain
I have just read Jirfrye(Susan) post on how she is having a wonderful day. I am so very, very happy for her.

I also have some wonderful news to report and I just have to share it with everyone. I am also afraid I may speaking to soon and tomorrow my world will come crashing down again.

I am at long last actually getting better!! The pain in my feet is slowly fading away and the pinched nerve in my right thigh is gone!! As of 3 nights ago I have been able to sleep without elevating my legs to stop the burning/stabbing pain in my right thigh!! My thigh feel normal again!!
ow this can be I do not know.... my prayers and the preyers of my family are being answered!! I am begenning to feel normal again and it is the most wonderful feeling in the world.
Doctors have told me over and over I would always be in pain. The nerve damage was permanent so how can it be that I am suddenly getting better? I have never once gave up hope all through my ordeal and set back after set back.

I still have a long way to go because of my muscle weakness but I start physical therapy Friday to start building my strength and work on my balance issues. As my legs get stronger I know my balance will improve also.

After all these years of chronic, savage pain I am actually getting better!! I feel almost normal again!! I do not know why. But who am I to question the power of prayers?
I also want to thank everyone on this forum for your help and encouragement. You have been just great!! Bless all of you.
I do not know or understand why I am actually getting better but it is the most wonderful feeling in the world!!

Hugssssss to all >:D<
Patsy W
advertisement

Comments

• I am so glad that you are finally getting some relief. It is great news!
  • do you have an in with someone upstairs...if so drop s/he a line and give my name. i dont understand how you are better. do you have scs on?
    well...life is good... life is good...
  • I am so glad you are getting better :), I have a very strong faith and i believe that there is nothing before the power of prayer, yourself and family asked in prayer and they recieved....some days i actually ask myself God do you see whats happening? or God why arent you helping me?....but I believe he answers prayers in his time and does whats best for each and everyone of us.

I hope the pain stays away and physical theraphy helps you gain strength in your legs and entire body.you will be in my prayers and thoughts, I will say a prayer for you tonight and thankgod...when times are tough and there seems no end to it all i always try and think of the little footprints story..... :*
  • Wonderful that you are having a good day!!! Take it slow, don't get too excited, lol. Good luck with your physical therapy and may you continue improving.

Best to you,

Marianne
  • I am so happy to hear this, words can't do justice!!! I hope it continues to get better for you, and that the damage wasn't permanent after all, and the nerves have begun to repair themselves, wouldn't that be wonderful? Although I'm not religious, more agnostic, and haven't figured out that "benevolent being upstairs" thing, I do believe in the power of positive thinking, so I will be sending more positive thoughts your way, for sure!!!
    Hugs!!!
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Thank you my dear friend. You have always been great to me. I thank you for that.
    I have not been without pain for several years and now it is just fading away.
    Yesterday I actually forgot about pain meds until bedtime and today I did not take my first dose until an hour ago!!
    Life is good!!
    Hugssssssss >:D<
  • I have missed you buddy. Was getting worried about you.
    Pete I do not know why i am getting better.....I just am!!
    My pain is fading away more every day!! Go figure!!

No Pete, I no longer use my stimulator. It is not for me. But that is not unusual....stimulators are not for everyone. I could not take the constant pulsing/tingling and I even had mine "tweaked" twice. I even questioned that fact in another thread. Could I live with it??
    Do not let my problems with the stimulator keep you from getting your implant!!
    Hey....I used my riding mower yesterday for the first time in 4 years!! It was doooo good to work in my yard again.
    It took me as long to climb on it as it did to mow my yard coz of my weak legs!! LOL I was very tired but it was a good tired.
    Hugssssssss >:D<
  • I havent been on here long but I do enjoy the site and I have read alot of your posts, Good things will start happening for you, dont get to jumpy and try to do everything all at once try to pace yourself, you still have a long way to go and we dont want you to tire out before you hit the finish line, everyone here is very happy for you and we want you to keep us updated as to your progress, it gives us something to be thankful for as well as something to look forward to. Enjoy these days you deserve them , don;t forget us though we will miss you. Good Luck and keep up the good work.

• Thank you guys. I knew all my best Buds would bw here to wish me well!
    I have always thought something else was causing my savage foot pain and now I am convinced it was. I do not know what....all I know it is fading away.
    Life is very, very good again and getting better all the time.
    I baked a fabulous Cocanut Cream Pie earlier and I am going to have some pie and milk before I go to bed. I am saving a piece for everyone.

G,nite
    Luv and hugsss >:D<
  • mainly in surprise at recently experienced mirricle but also in waiting for the pie >:D< >:D<
  • Thank you so very much for your wishes and lovely words.
    How kind you are.
    Yes, I do have to pace myself. My muscles are very weak now because I have been forced to be off my feet for so very long. I have no legs to speak of anymore and building my strength back up will take time.
    Oh Tweety...I could never leave my friends here. I have made some wonderful friends who i just adore and I will always be here for them. They have always been here for me. As I become more active i will always take time for my dear friends.
    I am sure you and I will be great friends.....I do hope we will be.
    Sending you a special hug.... >:D<
    Patsy
  • Thanks for the kind words Pat, I am sure we will be friends, You are going to be very busy getting better but I know in my heart you will always be here for us, once your in here, you are hooked and it's a wonderful feeling to feel like you are someone instead of feeling like you are just a person with a disability, I have nothing but respect for the friends I have met on this site and I thank God everyday for the people who set this site up. Please do pm me any time, I look forward to our friendship here. Take care and take it slow. Remember we are always here for you, even if you think it is a small acomplishment, it is not it is a milestone, one you will not soon forget. Thanks for the hug and I am sending you one back, along with a gaurdian angel to be sure you dont go to fast. Take care and write when you can. Linda
  • :D :D :D :D :D

To forget to take your pain meds -- it's a wonderful thing. The "aha" moment of oh my gosh I feel human again!

May you continue to feel better and stronger every day.

Take care,

Judy
  • Thank you for sharing your wonderful news! You have given us all hope that our lives CAN change.
    Faith M
  • Hello Patsy, great to hear that your day is great!

• I am so glad to hear you are FINALLY starting the slow upward climb to some kind of medical improvement! Bet you are thinking "it sure took long enough!".

Sometimes, the best thing we can do for ourselves (in any given situation) is to give ourselves time to heal and get stronger.

Take care!
  • Pat, you are testament that doctors are not the Ultimate Healer. I have read your posts, and this news is nothing short of miracle. We should all use the new mantra, "I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES"

Rusty
  • I am still doing much better.
    Had my first PT session today!! Yippeeeeee
    It went really well and it is really going to help me get the strength in my legs.
    I go two days a week for 6 weeks plus they gave me exercises that I do at home.
    I am doing something good for myself and it feels wonderful.
    I was always active, never one to sit around but chronic,savage pain in my feet changed all that! :''( I know my pain was savage, even the sheets on my feet was agony....but I could have handled it better had it been in a different area of my body. I can tolerate a lot of pain but this foot pain got me down!!
    Thank you everyone for your happiness for me. I do not know why my pain has faded away but it has. Prayers ARE answered.
    Hugssss to all.... >:D<
    Patsy W
  • except to keep up the good (and hard) work at pt!!! I'm so happy for you!!!
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I am so happy that things are finally starting to look up for you. I really hope that you continue to experience more better days than bad ones and you can progress with your PT exercises. Hey, save me some coconut pie too okay? Take care O:)
  • Hi GF...
    Good grief...I walked off left my "pooter" on for hours. Looks like I have been online but have not. I took a nap, cooked dinner. washed dishes, took a shower, watched TV and just now discovered my "pooter" on. =))
    Boy I am slipping.
    Thanks Kelly. I am still doing great and it's so wonderful to feel normal again.
    Hugssssss >:D<
    Patsy W
  • Hi Patsy, Knock on wood the good luck and painfree days are here forever more for you! You had enough pain for a lifetime and now can enjoy life again! Be careful anyways, kind of like after a fusion/surgery as you go and don't over "go" it too much, too quickly so the good feelings stay! Iamgine a day w/o pain meds or anything to get through? YEA, I'm very excited for you! I do believe in angels, prayer, and miracles....and no questions asked, who cares why or how? Just that it is!

Or just for fun, here's a thought:

Maybe that SCS just hit the nerves long enough to kick them back in shape before you decided you couldn't take another minute of that buzzing! Then your mind told your body to get on with life! LOL!

I'm just thankful prayers work! Take care and I look forward to hearing more good news!
    Kathy
  • Thanks so much. I am enjoying this while I can.
    Hey...I can now wear my one pair of dress shoes i have not been able to wear for several years. I tossed out all the other ones I had except this one pair I saved. I put them back on this morning just for grins and giggles coz I could. LOL BTW...I use to be a shoe freak and had to toss out about 50 pairs!!
    I have a bushel of lovely red, ripe tomatoes to work up today!! I was able to make a huge pot of Pasta Sauce to freeze before my back gave out. I still have some to freeze and some to make Tomato Soup with to can.
    I have always believed that my foot pain was not caused by nerve damage. I do not what caused it....Doctors always said it was caused by my nerve damage and would not even consider anything else. It may return...but I do hope not. I really believe PT is going to help even more.
    I am just going to enjoy this and not question it in any way.
    BTW...the stimulator did not help my foot pain enough to keep it on. The tingling on top of the pain drove me bonkers. It did help my leg pain some but not enough to keep it on.
    I had what I believed to be a good trial but my Doctor did not tell me I should not have used my pain meds until AFTER my permanent implant!! How was I to know how much it was helping me?? Stupid of me huh? But also stupid of my pain Doctor to not make that clear to me before my trial.
    Thank you my friend for your lovely comment.
    Hugsssssss
    Patsy W
  • Glad things are getting better for u.. Hang in there and keep looking UP!
    Don't get carried away and take care.
    And just want to thank u for being there for me! I really appreciate ur support and I'm glad to be here amongst understanding and caring people who truly understand.
    I felt alone until I came along to this great place and never felt so informed and determined as I am now. Despite the the other....
    I'm so xcited to see my dr....being informed and in the mindset to get answers and repsect I know I deserve.
    Can't wait to let u know how that goes.
    U and many others are a Godsend in my life and u should pat urself on the back for all u say and do for others. U have made a difference in my life...for sure.
    And my prayers include include all my newfound supporters.

Still thinking bout that tomato soup.... The tomato (instead of chicken)soup for my soul.
    Big hugs and smiles:)
  • I don't really know your medical history, but you seem to have been suffering for a long time, so I'm really pleased for you!

I saw you wrote that your doctors thought it was caused by nerve damage; if nerves have a decent blood supply, they do re-grow, albeit extremely slowly, at something like 1/8th - 1/4" a month. I can't remember the actual figures, but it's really slow.

Anyway, whatever's responsible for your improvement, it must be so fantastic to 'feel normal' again.

Congratulations!

Val
  • Thank you so much for the kind words.
    I have no idea why the savage foot pain has suddenly left like it has but it is gone. Now if I could just get rid of my back pain....but I only have it sometimes not 224/7 like my foot pain.
    It's wonderful to feel almost "notmal" again.
    I can only prey the Angel that has visited me visits everyone here.
    >:D<
    Patsy W
  • Thank you for your lovely comments.
    Thanks for the info on the nerves.
    A lot of people here have been in pain much longer than I have Val and I am sure a lot of people have more pain than I do.
    My pain issues actually started back in the 80ies. in my neck. A fusion in my C spine was a success and have no more problems with it.
    I ruptured a disc at L4 and L5 and my leg problems started in 94. A neurosurgeon finally chiseled out the rupture....leg pain continued so a fusion was done at L4 L5. Pain continued but the savage foot pain did not start until about 5 years ago.
    I do mean the foot pain was savage!! BTW... also have DDD,
    I was on my feet much to long today and now something new has been added to the mix. Pain down the left side of my back to my hip bone and burning pain down the front of my left leg to the top of my foot!! What is this new he&% that has been thrown at me?? LOL
    I am sure a good nights rest will fix things but after you have suffered for so long any new pain scares the dickens out of you dosn't it??
    Thank you both
    Sending you both a hug and also everyone else... >:D<
    Patsy W
  • I just wanted to update a bit on my sudden amazing recovery from the savage pain in my feet that I have been suffering with for several years now. I also had leg pain from my knees down to my feet but not as bad as the savage pain in my feet.
    I still have no answer as to why my pain has gradually faded away. I just know it has!! My prayers have been answered!! That is the only answer I can give.
    I have had one small set back this week but it has not been pain. My legs have been badly swollen. The pain meds cause this because when I do not take any meds i have no swelling.
    I have been able to cut way back on my pain meds...thank goodness.
    I still have pain...in the right side of my low back, knee pain from when I injured my knee a few years ago and my right shoulder. But it is mild compared to my foot and leg pain!!
    I am so very blessed. I have wonderful friends, neighbors and a loving family that I am very close to.
    I have also survived heart failure, a couple of emergency surgeries that put me in the hospital for a couple of months(I kepy going into shock and they also had to open me back up because my intestines were still blocked)
    So I am so very blessed.
    I have made some wonderful friends here on SH. Thank you for being my friend.
    Thanks to all of you that have sent me private messages thanking me for my kindness and help I have been to them. That is the best medicine anyone can recieve.
    Thanks to everyone for your understanding and support here on SH.
    You guys are the best!!
    Hugsssssssss ro all >:D<
    Patsy W
  • =D> So glad to hear you are still feeling so much better. Prayers do get answered :D .

Keep on getting better!

Judy
  • interventions from God!!~ I am so glad for you Patsy. May the pain stay away! ;o)

S~
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.