Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Having Hardware out

iowarobiniiowarobin Posts: 1,268
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I saw my ortho yesterday and had injections done at the screws. And afterwards, no pain. 90 o/o gone. I couldnt believe it, i havn't felt that great for 3 1/2 years, probably longer. I had the test and talked to him this am and will have hardware out within the month, YEAH!!!
Anyone have this done? He said 2 hour surgery, and a couple days in hospital. Anyone have it done, with the full incision, please fill me in? I am so excited to get my life back, even though I have surgery on knee Fri and other one in a month. I am looking at being the normal bionic woman! =)) B) #:S 8}

• we were hoping and hoping things would turn around and now that hope is paying big dividends!!!!!!
  • Moderator Bruce had his hardware removed and then climbed some huge mountain in Asia. He has his story linked in his signature.

I'm happy to hear that there is relief in sight!

• I know you've been so miserable...I truly hope this is the answer for you & that you get your pain relieved & your life back on track! You must be soooo happy!

I might have it done next summer, as school starts next week & I don't want to miss more work this year, so keep us posted on how you feel afterwards, etc. I'd like to know how long you're down afterwards, etc & how you feel, etc. Good luck w/ your knee surgery, & then on to the hardware removal...surely it can't be any worse than having it put in? My NS said (he's a funny guy) "Oh, I just reverse the drill..simple!" Ugh! But, hey! If it works.... !

May you sail thru it & go on to a pain-free life! :)
    (Or as close to that as you can get!)

• Great news! I'm so glad you have at last experienced some pain-free time and I hope the hardware removal makes it permanent!

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • How many people has had to have their hardware removed? Is it a common thing that needs to be done?
    It sure would be hard to have to go through the surgery again!

• Now I want to ask my dr. for those injections - just to be sure on my hardware - great news for you :)
  • My ortho did the lidacane injections right on the screws. He said if it helped the pain, it was probably mechanical. He said it would only help if it was mechanical, if it was disc or anything else it wouldnt effect it. But it was pain free. So another surgery and hopefully pain free or at least some. I still have a torn disc at l-3 so, I can still have issues with that. Hope your Dr says he can do it for you too. I will be waiting to hear from ya. Good Luck
  • that some relief is on the horizon. I hope this helps a lot.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Sounds like prayers are being answered on this part of your life. Within a month! That's so exciting!!! Just think. You should be feeling great in time to Christmas shop and really enjoy the holidays!!! So happy for you! With all you have been going through, you truly deserved a break!!!

Must admit that I think I'm going to ask my drs if my problems could be mechanical or at least paritally mechanical.
  • You deserve some pain-free time! I do hope this is the answer. Somedays I contemplate asking to have my hardware removed. I am sure that is what causes most of my pain. Keep us posted!

Best to you,

• I had mine removed with the next level of fusion, the dr said that once your fusion has taken place and you are fused that the hardware really isnt doing anything for you, no extra support or anything, so why leave it in. I had it removed on July 30th of this year when they attempted to do another level fusion that was not completed, cant tell if it has taken any pain away, but I am sure my body feels better without the extra screws and plates, I have enough loose ones in my head without having to worry about the ones in my back and neck, I only had the ones in my back removed, the ones in my neck are still there. Haven't had any problems with them. Let us know if it does help the pain. Good luck.
  • How nice that you have confirmed your "pain generator". I hope the removal is a success and that you will post your results so that those of us who are considering or about to undergo the same thing will have more "data" on this. Best wishes for a safe and speedy recovery on your knee surgery.
  • I am anxious to have it done. They called yesterday to get it scheduled. Dont know when, I just told them that if the Dr said it was ok now, any day but tommorow was ok as I was busy! :SS Tomm should be a cakewalk compared to the fusion. I will definently let you all know how it turns out. I am really hoping the test was right. Even some releif is better than now. ;)
  • Lidocaine - good to know the details.

I too have an L3 that the doc says it's not a matter of 'If' but 'When' for surgery on it. Oh well.

I'll post after my September apt. if I'm going to have my hardware out. In the meantime, I'll watch for updates from you too.
  • I hope you are at home and recovering comfortably from your knee surgery today!! Just think, if your knees get fixed up and your hardware comes out, you won't know what to do. Pain free or a lot less pain! Wow! Your husband must be really excited for you too. ;) ;) :* <:P =))

Let us know how you're feeling. >:D<
  • 1 down and 2 to go. Surgery was an hour and half late cause a baby decided to be born,c-section and they had to use my OR room. Everything went well. No grandbaby yet, they sent her home, but we still have the 1 year old grandaughter. Daughter in law isnt feeling right, so just keep her here and see what happens. I got home about 6, and the gave me dilauidid before I left. My husband dererves a medal as grandaughter was teething and crabby and he was taking care of her, between hospital and our house(only 2 blks away) and making sure I was ok. Waiting to hear from son on new baby, and I got home to a message that my dad is in hospital an hour away with aspiration pnuemonia. He had a stroke right when I had my fusion and has been in nursing home. Then yesterday my daughter called to tell me she was miscarring her first . It was an etopic pregnancy and so it is good. But I didnt know for sure she was pregnant. So, I felt bad, not being able to be with her.
    No time to be down right now, to many other problems. I just hope daughter gets along ok. Its hard on her I know.
    But now when I am fixed, I can be ther for her when she does have one. So life is doing ok, considering the mass confusion right now. Take care and thanks for the well wishes and prayers. Keep em coming. I know that it is not over yet. Hugs and will post when the little one is born. >:D< :H
  • WOW!! You and your husband both had quite a day! How lovely that your husband is so much help to all of you. You need to learn to space out your medical incidents within your family....but, seriously, do be very careful.

After I had surgery in January and was doing really well, my 92-year old, Alzheimer's patient-mom ended up in the ER three times within one week. I'll spare you the details, but all the standing around, sitting on those awful hospital chairs, and riding in the car 40 minutes each way caused a big flare that I never recovered from...so I might just as well not have had the surgery.

Protect your own health before anything else, if you possibly can.

I wish all of you the very best.