Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back surgery(fusion)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have a condition called spondylothesis and I'm a grade 1also I have degenerate disc disease and a herniated disc all in the l5 s1 region. They have said they will do a fusion on my l4 l5 pelvis. 6 screws 1 metal rod a bone graft 2 metal cages. Now I'm in a great deal of pain. I have trouble getting up sitting walking just all the normal things. In the last 6 months I have lost about 50 lbs and have tried to be active as much as physicaly possible and it has helped alittle but still alot of pain and almost costant unless i'm taking percs and slow release oxys. I would really like to chat to people that have gotten the surgery

• I had spondylolisthesis, Grade 1, L4/5 that flared up badly last March. Had severe spasms that would make me scream!!! Couldn't sleep for several days at a time. Couldn't walk 5 feet. Painful "dead" right foot, etc. etc. I have DDD as well. Finally, had to have the fusion done last July. Took most of my symptoms away, but did take a long time for me to recover. I also have rheumatoid arthritis, so need MS Contin twice a day. A year later, I'm much better, still have to be careful of what I do, but so much better. I'm assuming by your user name, that you are young? I'm 52 so takes me longer to heal.

Best to you,

• Hi Mike -- Had a four-level fusion, S1 to L2, just nine days ago. Yep, spondy and DDD. It was painful coming out of surgery, I won't lie, and I had a couple of other out of control pain episodes, but meds are a wonderful thing, HA! I was home from the hospital four days post-op; skipped the rehab facility completely. I live alone and am doing for myself for the most part. Just can't lift, bend, or twist but am managing quite nicely. Get your home prepared ahead of time, and don't be too proud to accept the help of friends. I have no family, and I don't know what I'd do without my church family. You can do it! Best wishes on your journey. --Dorothy
  • Mike - I had a three-level fusion last November. I had three totally torn discs, a bit of spondy, some scoliosis from the way the discs blew and everything settled, and DDD. I had those horrible electric jolts of pain that take your breath away and don't allow you to move. Those days are gone. I won't tell you the recovery is easy. It simply isn't. However, I believe if you have the fusion done, you will eventually be glad you did it.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Only the L5-S1 fused for me with level 2. I understand your pain
  • Great idea to lose weight and get in as good of shape as possible prior to surgery. I was going to the gym and working out to make my body as ready as possible (until it just hurt too bad a few weeks before surgery). I do believe that doing this as well as talking to "Spineys" here and taking all of the proper vitamins & eating healthy has helped me to the speedy recovery I am experiencing.

Keep it up and keep us posted...
  • i had a L3-S1 fusion Jan. 2008. was doing well but discomfort and neuropathy. had ct scan done and revealed a failed fusion lower half. going for revision on Sept 9. bigger screws and longer rods into pelvis. hope this works to stablize the spine!