Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finally got my MRI results back...

mistymaammmistymaam Posts: 63
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello all,
I did a post a few days ago about lower back pain, sciatica, and jabbing/jarring pain shooting down legs. I got my MRI results back and they found scar tissue and bone spurs. My Dr. told me that the scar tissue is pressing on my nerve and I will have to talk with a neurosurgeon. Can anyone tell me if the decomprssion is successful the second time after a discectomy? I fear that I will develop more scar tissue, thus impinging the nerve further. Plus, what can be done about bone spurs? Any replies would be wonderful.

Take care and have a nice day!

• your dr is the only one who can give you professional advice. but i have heard others here say bone spurs have been shaved off. anytime you operate you get more scar tissue. also the more surgeries the more chance of infection. i have heard exercise can break up scar tissue. best you get a 2nd opinion....pete
  • Bone spurs can be dealt with fairly easily. The surgeon can grind them off or otherwise remove them. The scarring is another issue. I know some people on the board have had surgeries to remove scar tissue. It probably depends on the situation, but my surgeons both said that there is increasing chances of more scar tissue with each surgery...and neither of them was eager to operate on me again.

Scar tissue is the body's nature healing response when something is removed from the body. It builds up to fill the vacuum. Once formed, it is difficult to get rid of.

There is another procedure called a neurolysis that is kind of similar to getting a nerve block. It is designed to break up scar tissue, but in reality, it doesn't work all that well, and many doctors are relunctant to perform it.

This discussion has been closed.