Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sitting pain

kdaviskkdavis Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Chronic Pain
I have severe pain sitting in my lower back, and been to many different doctors. I have been diagnose with moderate DDD L3-L5, but have read and been told most men my age(45) have DDD so how do I know this is my problem. MRI showed the DDD.

Have also had a EMG and was said I have nerve damage. But do not know what caused my nerve damage.

I just had a myelogram, will get results next week.

Have any of you out there have similar problem?

• i hope the myelogram shows whats giving you pain. another test to pinpoint bad disc is the discogram....best of luck.....pete
  • I had bad pain and sciatica before surgery in lower back.
    Nerve compression was my problem before.
    Now it's caused by severe muscle spasms and I constantly have to shift positions.
    Goodluck and let us know what u find out.
  • Hi,

I have the sitting pain, lower back, tailbone area, and down the left buttocks. Sometimes the back of the left thigh. Mine was L5 S1 nerve root compression, with a abnormal EMG. I had bone on the S1 nerve root. Sitting still hurts, but it is slowly getting better. My surgery was 7.5 months ago! Did the Dr. give you any indication as to where the nerve damage was? Mine did show L5 S1 chronic nerve damage. That was the only way I ended up with surgery, as my MRI did not show the bone on the S1 nerve root.
  • The MRI you had showed the DDD. Most people begin to have degeneration beginning in their late twenties. It is because the discs naturally start to dry out, and the body was not created with a system to replenish the fluid. Read more here:

Your nerve damage is caused by nerve compression caused by the degeneration of the disc. It could be from a bulging disc pressing on a nerve, or from stenosis that takes the space that the nerve needs to move freely. Do you have any pain radiating into your hips or legs??
  • Welcome to the site! It's full of helpful information and especially from people who've had what you've had. I've learned loads, so hope you do too.

The thing to remember is, the GPs (UK) and doctors (US) can't 'see your pain' and many seem to disbelieve how painful and debilitating it is.

I have exactly the same problem as you and last year, was told by 'X' number of GPs that what I had was 'normal for my age'. I knew it wasn't normal, so carried on digging. Mine was initially diagnosed as DDD and now they find nerve impingement.

They will then make you go through the 'diagnostic injections' which help them decide where the pain's coming from. I'm halfway through this process and frankly, still in intense pain.

What this site has taught me is that there are SO many people with this and so many doctors who think it's just 'normal for your age', when it's not. It's usually something more serious, like nerve impingement.

I agree with gwennie17. Nerve compression seems to be the answer, so it just depends where it's being compressed.

Good luck and I hope you sort it out.

• Just started to have some leg pain(left side)...MRI showed minimal impingement of the thecal sac.

MRI was done 9 months ago before I started having leg pain.

Wow, seeing all you guys have the strength to deal with gives me a second wind.

Thanks for the responses....hope one day we all find cures for our pain problems.
  • Yes, like Gwennie said, we all have DDD to one extent or another as we age, but it could be that yours is more advanced than a normal person your age. Most of us have that problem.

Gwennie is right on about the nerve pain/damage.

I also have L4/5 issues and had severe sciatica in both legs, but mostly the left. Also tingling like it wants to fall asleep.

I got an ESI two weeks ago for the disc bulge (causing sciatica) and facet joint injections for my bad facet joints at that level (causing lower back pain). They both worked wonderfully and I have no more sciatica and only mild lower back pain.

I'm glad this site give you new strength and that's why we have over 11,000 members - because we all need to talk to others who understand what we're going through.

Keep us posted.
  • DDD for me started in my late teens.
    When I was in my mid20's I had a rheomotologist tell me
    That my spine in xray and the inflammation showing in my sedrate test
    Looked like that of someone in there 50's
    I'm 38 imagine it now.
    DDD and arthritis and pain has no age limit.
  • Sitting is my hardest thing too. It feels like my top half is crushing my lower back. Sometimes I wish they built some kind of suspension chair where my arms supported me instead of my back and butt, lol. I love my facet injections, but sadly, it's wearing off. I hate this part. But I had a nice Summer thanks to those shots!

Question though - I often read people say their pain radiates down their left side. Mine is on the right. Would that still be a sciatica or stenosis issue on that side do you think? Can it be on different sides for different people?
  • I too have burning pain when sitting in buttocks also sacrum area,lower back and now hips. I have been and seen so many doctors, had every test, they thought the problem was a L5-S1 annular tear, had spinal fusion, still have the same pain over 1 year after surgery, I'm going to pain management today, no one can help me so far, but haven't given up yet, I can sit for about 30 minutes before the pain starts and progressively get worse throughout the day. I can only sleep on stomach and wake up with no pain, until I start sitting. Pain progresses throughout the day. I hopefully will get help soon, good luck to you all too.
This discussion has been closed.