Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My surgery may be canceled

ileneiilene Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am anxious, upset and annoyed. My surgeons primary girl is out sick, the one that doesn't know how to do anything is there. Last week this one was out on vacation, and the other one was sick, and I wound up getting information I needed for pre surgical testing from another surgeons secreatary. Well the saga is continuing!

My WBC (white blood count) came back high, 12.2, which is not terribly high. The girl form surgeons office called me around 4:00 telling me I had a problem with my blood work and that I was going to have to repeat some. After questioning her she told me that my WBC was Low! I am a medical person, and immediately asked her how Low, only to find out she didn't have it the results in front of her but that she was going to Fax them to my PC. I called my PC only to find out he didn't have them. I called this girl back only to get a machine. My PC called me telling me how they weren't able to reach my surgeons office, how he wanted to see the results. I again tried to reach her, but again got a machine. I became quite anxious if my WBC was low, this can mean that I was having an autoimmune responce, and since I have 3 autoimmune diseases was upset. WBC also is low when you have cancer. (I went thru radiation therapy in 2003). My anxiety increased.

The girl called and said how she emailed me the results from another office, (the secretary that helped me out last week), and that she also faxed the results to my doctor. I called my doctors office only to find out he never got them. I tried my surgeons office only to find out the girl left for the day, message machine was on.

I went to the library to use their computer. I found the email to me and looked at the results, WBC was high. Not very high, but high enough that surgery may be canceled. Will have another blood test tomorrow, and see what that shows. I don't want surgery if I am sick, but am wondering and will have to talk to PC about it, since WBC can increase from stress...and I am under stress, physical and mental. I have been on high blood pressure medication since April, when my pain increased. My body responds to stress and pain in strange ways, just thinking this could be the reason WBC was high.

Will let you know when I know if my surgery is on or not.

• just more aggravation to increase stress level. hope communication improves....pete
  • Well, after having to deal with that incompetent girl in the doctor's office, you should maybe have your WBC checked again. If stress can cause it to be elevated, it's probably higher than it was before! ;)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • I'm afraid after all the stress of today that it will go up, but at least then I will know for sure it is from stress....lol....read some more on it, and asthma can elevate it too....I knew about stress, worked in cardiology for 30 years....

PS can't believe I have to fax results over to my own PC...her's never got to him.