Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scott in the UKSScott in the UK Posts: 136
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Spinal Injections
I actually first joined this site back in February 09 with a slightly different 'login name' but I lost my password and exact name so I've had to re-register.

Back in February following an epidural for back pain here in the UK,I suffered excruciating pain straight after the so-called treatment.

I came across this site after my wife suggested I try to talk with people that have similar problems so here I am.

It's been 6 months since that epidural and I eventually got a follow up MRI scan done which seemed to show DDD,a prominent disc bulge and an annular tear.

I've since been to see a surgeon to see if I was suitable for an IDET and it appears he thinks not.
September 22nd 09 I have to travel 70 miles for a DISCOGRAM and I have to be there to book in at 07:30am.

Has anyone else had a this form of procedure to assess the next step?
If so,what was your outcome?

Scott from Gloucester,United Kingdom.Married-Aged 42-I have a gorgeous wife and a 2 year old son called Leo.I've been off work as a Prison Officer for 6 months now and I'm bored stupid.

• i too live in the uk and am married and 43 ,i have had various procedures and 2 operations on my back but invitingly i am virtually house bound since the last operation back in NOV 07 .i would proceed with caution my friend .regarding operations .there are things that you can do to ease your pain at home ..these are .a recliner to sit in {i can't sit on anything other than }and we also have a twin electrical adjustable bed with a memory foam and sprung combination mattress.this is a help when getting out of bed in the early hours ! i also you the acticare .as you live in the uk you should try one as you qualify for the 30 day trial period.see www.acticare.com for more info.
    please remember that your job is an active job {i should imagine?} and there is a possibility of you damaging your back ?? if you can get by without having surgery ..i would ..because in my opinion i don't think that you would be fit enough to return to the prison service and if you did it would not take much for you to be off work in pain again ..should you need to get physical with an unruly person !!.you are a young person by today's standards .if you can live ..and by live i mean drive .shop.be with your wife {if you know what i mean!} and generally get by on some strong pain killers..i would rather than surgery ..i have been in pain for 15 years and it has cost me my appearance /job/first wife /and countless other things that we take for granted .all i am able to do now is get from my bad to my recliner and to the toilet and back to bed again ..things for me are bad //i was a slim fit man with a very good job as an electrician married to an attractive woman with a young family ..all was going well until some idiot crashed their van into my small van .than my world started to fall apart.first the job then the wife of 11 years and and and !!! luckily for me its not all bad .i remarried a nurse! and now have a purpose build home and a nice car but i have not been able to return to the work place due to chronic pain .i do wish you well and feel free to contact me should you want to
  • I know nwhat you mean about being "bored stupid"!
    This July I had a discogram. My orthopaedic surgeon knew exactly what the problem was, however, due to health insurance nonsense we needed to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that a fusion was neccesary. The outcome of the discogram was that, yes, I need a fusion. What it told my insurance co. and Dr. was where the pain was coming from. 15% from one disc, 85% from another disc. This is a costly procedure and was a total waste of time for me since my x-rays and MRI showed where the problem was. For people who have a back problem and there is no strong evidence why/where, the discogram is a good tool to figure out the problem.
    On another note, just be prepared to be in pain for at least a few days. If you don't have pain meds, ask for some. At the end of the procedure they will inject anaesthetics into the discs, and hopefully you will be pain free for a while (wow, its a great feeling!) Icing the back helps releive some of the pain. Hope this info helps,
  • i had a discogram done 10 days ago, it is a diagnostic test to see if it is the disc causing your pain, it hurts, hurts like hell, i am still struggling to walk, sitting in a car is absolute agony still. i know everyone is different and i hope yours will be better than mine.
    i don't know where the person who replied before me lives but i did not have any pain meds given to me, no anaesthetic injected into disc either.
    read my post about it
  • I live in New Jersey (united States). I believe I read your previous posts about your discogram. I cannot believe that you were treated that way. The surgeon gave me strong vicodins, with a refill, as well as injecting the anaesthetic into the discs. I am so sorry for your pain, they should have at least tried to make you comfortable. I wonder, is this the way all discos are done in the UK? I hope not for all of the patients' sake. No health plan in any country is 100% wonderful, however, none of us should suffer for no reason. Icing my back and resting as much as possible helped me, but it was still at least 10-12 days before i felt better.
  • The discogram was the only thing that showed what was wrong with my back. I had the mRIs and CT and Myleograms and all the facet blocks and everything to no avial. I was scheduled for a one level fusin, but because of ins co, i had to have a doscogram which showed 3 discs torn. I was glad that i had it otherwise it wouldnt have caught the other two. Maybe it is for that reason. It hurts, but let me tell you, they do give you some sedative and get some pain meds ahead of time. You will need them for a couple days. Not horrible, just bad enough.
    Annular tears will not fix themselves and I had a two level fusion last Dec. I am hoping to have hardwaare out and then be more pain free as my latest test showed hardware causing pain. Good Luck and let me know if I can be of help.
  • Thanks alot for the information everyone.It's all very well getting on the net and surfing these techniques but you never get an accurate picture until you speak to people who've had it done.
    Saying that I'm somewhat nervous.I'm taking 130mg morphine every 12 hours as it is but that's not brilliant so I'm going to have to talk to the doctor before I let him do anything.

I just got a call from an Private Physiotherapy Clinic who said an insurance company had been in touch on my behalf and want me in on Monday for some treatment.

I worked out that they are at least a 15 minute walk from the bus so I couldn't manage the walk.

They're going to call me back.
  • Do you qualify at all to get some help with transporation there? Here, if you are disabled, there are services that provide van transportation directly to medical appointments.

Are you still cooking daily???