Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

boatramp physical therapy

pete81241pete81241 Posts: 1,194
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Chronic Pain
every year i find walking more difficult. i live near lots of ponds and also the ocean. last year i could walk with crutches across the beach and into the water. this year no such luck. hence i have come up with boatramp therapy. you drive your car as close to public boatramp as possible. with crutches you walk into water and have some fun either walking or swimming. a short walk back to car and youre off to another boat ramp. today i hit 3 ramps in about 3 hours. i met plenty of people and had a variety of exercise. this variety seemed to reduce my pain level. i'm now going to explore all the boatramps on cape cod...life is good...on the road again...

• thanks for good thoughts. boats kill me. and if i catch the big one my neck cant take the strain. i lot of guys buy a big boat and just keep it in the harbor as they sip on their martinis. not much therapy but it passes the time...
  • Dear Pete,

What a great activity. :)

You are very much a people person and the visual you painted here... brings a huge smile to my face. I, too, love being in the water. Whether it's the ocean, rivers or our swimming pool... being in the water is awesome.

Best wishes for another fun day.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

• Hi Pete -enjoy! my brother was going to leave his boat and motor for the summer. The shame is that my dad is the only one who can lift it for me. I cannot take tipping the cord to start the engine either.

I have to fugure something out to enjouy this! I'll figrue something out!

See you on the lake!
  • U always put a smile on my face:)

• You are to good, I think thia kind if therapy is good, my question is, does it not bother you to ride in the car so long, 3 hours is a long time, however, when you are doing a therapy as fun as this one, sometimes the litle things just dont seem to bother us anymore, not when you are looking at the reward. I live a few minutes away from the lake and I do have a pontoon boat but I havent been out since may on it. I will keep trying to get back out there as I love to fish also, that in itself has its rewards. (fishfry ). See ya later, visit one for me.
  • no wonder we get along >:D< we love fish and water.
    the beauty of this therapy and i want to add it will soon be in the JOURNAL OF MED REVIEW, is that you are never in one position for very long. 10 minutes to gather gear and walk to water, 15 minutes in the water, 10 minutes to get back in car, 10 minute drive and...oh...half hour at fried fish shack >:D<
  • Well done Pete and good for you. You could use our ramp any time but sadly I am on the opposite coast to you.

We live off a tidal harbor where all the homes have their own boat ramp to a dock at the back of each of the houses.
    Fortunately I can plan the times of hight tides and then the dock ramp floats up to almost level with my deck and that makes it easy to get on and off our boat. However when the tide is low It is much more difficult to get up and down. Nevertheless we love the water too and we get such great pleasure just cruising the canals within the harbor.

We routinely make a point of taking some of our physically challenged and elderly friends out when the tide is high too so that we can share our wonderful location with them. It is so nice to be able do that and very rewarding too.

I am so pleased that you have discovered "BOATRAMPS"!

Thake care my friend

John B
  • Pete, I like your good attitude, that you are always here to make everyone feel better, and that you find ways to entertain yourself and never give up on making the best of each day with whatever you have! I love the beach and water too! The boat ramp idea is great! I hope you find and explore every ramp there before the weather changes! Have fun!

• I'm glad you've found a way to make your therapy fun. Just be sure not to get hit by a boat. I can just picture the post in Lighten and Brighten - "How I Got Hit By A Boat", by Pete.

Take care buddy.
  • I'm glad you've found a way to make your therapy fun. Just be sure not to get hit by a boat. I can just picture the post in Lighten and Brighten - "How I Got Hit By A Boat While Doing Therapy", by Pete.

Take care buddy.
  • Like Holly said.....you always bring a smile to my face.
    I am sure you also make a lot of friends along the way to and from the boat ramps. And I am sure they love you just as all of us here do. You are a wonderful asset to SH.
    Thank you for keeping a happy smile on our faces.
    Patsy W
  • That sounds like a lot of fun, Pete, and a terrific way to get your pt in and meet new people (and enjoy some good fish, lol) Have fun with it!!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • ever finish paying for my scs or if i hit the lottery all my friends here are invited to the boatramp for a paid boat trip to the islands. i will hire an ortho spine surgeon, a neurosurgeon and a psychiatrist for free consults. a catered diner will be served. wheelchairs available and free massage therapists for all...
  • B) Pete, you are a trip! :D Necessity is the mother of invention!

Just be sure there's no fishing docks nearby. I have this vision of you with a big hook coming out of your head. You know you'll be sitting in your favorite catcher's position with just your head sticking out and the sunlight catches the top of your head, and then, and then.........ER.

Keeping exploring! Send us pics please!

• I can supply the Boat, huge tackle box open to all.
    and a few poles... I just don't clean the fish.
    hugs to all..Patsy
  • U said boat rides hurt u... I can picture u in a boat fishing with a recliner installed and laid back! Ur an awesome man.

Smiles and cheer to you!
  • Hey Pete - I've been swimming in Snake Pond (in Forestdale) a bunch of times. It's pretty nice there. Of course, the last few times I've been to the Cape have been in April, so there's no swimming then! Sounds like you have a good program for keeping yourself active and comfortable for the summer. Enjoy!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Pete,
    When i came across this thread i expected a different post. As someone who was a avid boater seen a lot at the boat ramp over the years. I can sit out there for hours for the pure entertainment. H yelling at wife, Wife yelling back at H. Some have teenage kids and they are all yelling how to get the boat in the water. Then finally a boat goes in the water and uh oh forgot the plug. Usually wife in boat sinking and H off to put vehicle away to come back and find it filled with water. No worries argue over who forgot to put plug in, don't bother to get trailer and pull it out, boat continues to fill with water. Then there are those who just can't for the life of them back the trailer down. My list goes on forget raising and lowering motors no need for water on them. Or don't worry the prop or lower unit going to break as it is in the down position and the slope to steep. If you wait till next year and all the new boaters arrive i bet you can stay there longer without even noticing how much time.

I am serious it is the best entertainment. Whatever you do don't offer advise these ppl know all about boating they have seen it done. I would never dare come between spouses on those moments. Then you hear the comments I told you we should have never bought this thing. Why didn't you learn how to do this?

Eventually they all make it out of the docks and have a wonderful day. They come back in and everyone is so happy. Look out though the boat has to go back on the trailer. Now everyone is tired and sun burned and more entertainment. The smart few head for the rest rooms and stay out of sight. Oh how i miss boating and the boat ramp entertainment. Thank god for docks and hoist.

If you time your trips just right you can really get some free entertainment in the mix of your therapy.
  • its great to hear all the comments...unfortunately i've been in rough shape with my pain today. i'm grounded for today...but the hurricane is off shore anyway so surf and tides are way up...oh yes tamtam i once neglected to put the drain plug in and gurgle gurgle, down she went...
    linda, i never swam in snakepond...is it true its the least used pond on the cape.
    i used to swim around cape ponds for exercise....one day while swimming i felt something heavy with claws on my back...i flew out of water like a dolphin....on my back was a big dog who also nearly had a heart attack!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.