Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back and Neck Problems/ Minimal Disectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It seems like I am caught between a rock and a hard place. I had a minimal discectomy in my L4-5 area. This did well, up until a year ago; had a car accident and injured my neck. The neck M.R.I. that was done 3/08 states that " At the c5-6 level a combination disc bulging is present and producing mass effect upon the left side of the ventral cord. Minimal right paracentral bulging of c3-4 is present.

The lumbar M.R.I. shows only mild arthritic changes. But I have pain into my buttocks and down my leg, just like I did before I had back surgery. Then I had a slip and fall at a store outside.

A doctor placed me on 3500 mg of Neurontin, Hydrocodone x 4, Valium 10mg x 3, Adderal 15mg x2, and Ambien. He didn't tell me that Neurontin caused depression or suicide, which I tried three times, until the physical therapist I started seeing three months later couldn't believe that I was on so much Neurontin; a drug I shouldn't have been on because I donated a kidney in 2006.

I have not been able to work steadily and now at 48 and now living home with my mother and attempting to be on S.S.I. This is all new to me and I know or feel I have come to the place to find out all I can. The neurologist told me that my neck wasn't bad enough for surgery and that I needed to see a pain management doctor. But refused to give me a new neck and back M.R.I. I am also on workmens compensation becuase of a recent injury from a sign falling and hitting me in the face, which pushed me into a wall. Now why would the doctor not want to have a new M.R.I. after two incidents occuring since my last M.R.I.'s I would like to also state that I am in Mississippi and I am gay...so I don't know if this plays into the fray or not. But I am only hanging on because of my mother, I just don't know what to do at this point. I know that this is not all in my head.

• i hope you arent being discriminated on because you are gay. being gay shouldnt be a factor. does neurologist even know you are gay...
    aside from that if your symptoms are worse youd think dr would want more studies done. how much worse are your symptoms?
    a visit to a spine surgeon might be your next step. i have never had good luck with neurologists. just my opinion over 40 years of pain.
    so sorry about the neurontin side affects. i was not attentive to their side effects either when they put me on the drug. my legs swelled up and the dr couldnt put 2 and 2 together so i ended up taking the drug for 5 years. i finally studied drug myself and found out about the fluid being side effect. we really have to be our own dr sometimes...tell us more about change in symptoms....pete
  • Met you in chat. Agree with Pete, I've never had good luck with neurologists either. Would highly recommend a spinal surgeon, and my preference is a neurosurgeon.

Its very hard to live with the pain, hard not to be negative and get the feeling of giving up. Please seek out our support and a professionals as well. Being gay has nothing to do with your condition and I hope you are not being discriminated against.

Please get some help and another opinion.

Best wishes to you,