Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Abdominal Swelling post Fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had an anterior fusion at L 2/3 done on July 22, 2009. In the recovery room. I had no feeling in the quad area of my left leg which was very new. I had good reflexes but no feeling. Anyway, I now am using my leg much better but the nerve pain is incredible. The surgical approach was on my left flank and some bone was removed from my ribs for the fusion. Since my injury was 22 years old, I was bone on bone with the vertebrae. I was told that to get the fusion material in, they had to "jack up" the vertebrae 11 mm to create the space. My back feels fabulous, the rest of me not so much. My low back hurts and I hurt from my incision to my knee on the left. The right is very pretty good. Also, the swelling in my abdomen makes me look pregnant. I know I have a 2cm in diameter blood clot in my abdomen from surgery as well. Has anyone else had this kind of swelling? Some evenings it is so bad that my belly button shifts about an inch to the right.

I am a teacher and supposed to be getting ready to go back to work. I cannot imagine working right now. I have had two MRI's, x-rays and a CAT scan. No answers. The pain is being explained by the 11mm stretch of the nerve root which I believe.

Meds: Diamox (work with excess water on my brain) 100mg a day....like a water pill
Neurontin (1200 mg a day)

loads of others but these I think would work directly with my new symptoms.

• I had a fusion and disc replacement the opening surgeon tore my vein I got sent home 3 days after surgery to be readmitted with a 8 inch blood clot in my grone upper thigh.. I have been on bloodthinners for 6 months now and I am crippled due to the mess up had there been no complications with surgery I would be 90% better. I cant do anything.. I thank God everyday that my back doctor had another doctor but a filter in the day after surgery or I would not be here today.. then in the process of finding an attorney found out the opening doctor has been sued before go figure.. But my back surgeon ROCKS.. the most amazing doctor I have ever meet.. Good luck and I hope you start feeling better soon..
  • swelling - actually, I think I'm developing a hernia, because the muscles just didn't go back the way they should have. I have intense shooting spasms of pain along my incision line. The scar is keloided, puckered, and just plain nasty. The surgeon has referred me to a plastic surgeon to have it fixed. At this point, I'm not sure if it's the muscles or the scar that hurts the most. Coughing and sneezing are just awful. I have to hold on for dear life. My scar goes from the center top of my pubic bone to the bottom of my left rib cage. The left side of my abdomen is numb to the touch. It ain't pretty!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I had fusion and disc replacement 11 days ago . I think I am having great results. I was bone on bone also L4- L5 .. S1 was bad. But they did the worse one and the pain is gone and I can feel my right big toe again after years of treatments finally that pain is gone but still I am sore.
    Now my incision is in the left side abdomen. I am swollen. Went to doc yesterday saw the PA. The looks I got concerned me but was assured this was normal post opt. But said if it don't go down I will see the other surgeon that did the cutting. Now after reading which in the past has really messed me up because I'm not a physician. It's easy to jump to conclusions. Being a cancer Hodgkin's disease survivor you'd think id be an ole trooper. Wrong... Wrong...! So this swelling ain't going down in fact I think it's increased. I feel like a balloon on that side. There's a little pain. Coughing, sneezing is bad. I have still got 24 staples in me if not I think I would pop. But all I can do is wait. The PA says fine so if it font get better back to doc...
    Anyone else had this? What happen what visit? Will it truly go away and is all post opt or.... Thanks