Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion S1L5

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Please help,

Had dissecotomy S1L5 6 years ago. Pain free for 5 years. Then out of the blue massive pain 10, could not walk, ended up in Hospital for 4 days. Took 3 months to recover. Was taking 90mg moriphine per day. Shots helped the first 6 months, then had another one and it did not work. I have had 3mri, milogram(sp?), electric nerve test. The nero said nothing showed up on milgram test. Nerve test showed nerve damage. They could not say if it is permenate or a sympton.
I am now taking 3 percote per day, also taking neurontin for leg spasms. The nero wants me to have a S1L5 fusion. He believes nerve root is being impinaged causing my pain. I do not want to be on pain meds forever and I can no longer put up with the pain.

I would like to hear about recovery time for fusion, or any personal advice about the procedure. :?

• I had L5/S1 surgery on June 10th. I had a cage with BMP (bone growth hormone), cadavar bone, a plate and 3 screws. Stayed in the hospital 2 days after surgery. My surgery was successful and I continue to heal with minimal pain. I have no trouble sitting, walking, standing. Restrictions are, no bending, no lifting, no twisting (BLT). My doctor explained that the disc had deteriorated to the point that it had to be pried open, and that I would be 2" taller, although I haven't checked. If I had it to do over again, I would have had it done sooner. I hope that this helps.

• Maybe have a doscogram to make sure it is only one level before surgery. Would hate to go through it and still have pain cause they missed something? They were only gonna do one level on me. Then discogram showed 3 levels with tears. Good Luck. Fusion is a long process, and one that you want the best surgeon working on your back! Let me know if I can help. :-C
  • Ted - I had three levels fused (i.e., three discs removed and replace with bone fragments, four vertebrae fused together). The recovery was NOT easy. It is a bit easier if you have less levels fused. I have to say I'd do it again though. While I'm not totally out of the woods, my pain levels are soooo much lower than they were a year ago. I rarely take my oxycodone any more. Maybe one a few times a week, if I've tried cleaning the house or some such nonsense, but at least I can move and function. I agree with Robin - you might want to have a discogram so they can be sure of how many levels are damaged before starting the surgery.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.