Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How is your boss dealing with your recovery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Water Cooler
I started having issues around January 2009 - numbness and tingling down my left arm, pain, etc - you all know that drill. 2 cortisone shots, no relief.

I had ACDF surgery in early April 2009 and went back to work in June.

My concern is that my employer isn't realizing that I am still broken.... primarily because I have attempted to downplay my spinal stenosis, nerve damage, bone spurs and herniated disk.

I think that playing it so tough has been a negative thing for me.

When I am "locked up", or sore, or cranky because I am sore, or if I call in sick because I am just in too much pain - I just don't think that they GET that I am still recovering....

I'd welcome any thoughts and advice - I am on FMLA, so they are "technically" aware that I have a medical condition that may impair my ability to function at 100% one hundred percent of the time, but I don't think that day-to-day they GET me....

• I only want to ask if you turned in a dr statement letting them know your limitations? If not it might not be a bad idea to get one or even get an updated one and just sit down with them and explain what is going on health wise and your pain levels. You could tell them you were trying to force yourself to get through each day trying to ignore the pain and it just didnt work and that you had to go back to the doctor and discuss the situation. That would be my only suggestion. Good luck
  • Can lead to the wrong impression.

I mentioned somewhere on here that I worked three 12 hour days in a row last week. Getting things done that NEEDED done. Most of it involved light weight stuff and some up and down on a ladder. I was having good days and got through it pretty well.

Yesterday I was told, "I know you can do this I saw you on the ladder crawling over stuff last week". What they were doing yesterday required an entirely different form of exertion and would have sent me home in an hour.

I just said, "that is not the same thing" and left it go at that as it was not my supervisor or anyone at a level of authority over me that made the comment. We are pretty much left with the problem of doing what we can, then others having the impression we are 100% normal. I do have work restrictions in place. I follow them pretty well, last week I stretched them a tad. My mistake, no good deed goes unpunished, I sometimes think.