Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Med Scare

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Lower Back Pain
Last week I went to my Neurologist for a check-up (not surgery related). A routine blood test was conducted. On Wednesday the office called and told me to come in ASAP for another blood test. My liver enzymes were through the roof. Normal being 42, mine were 202!!! Apparently, several of my medications contain acetometaphen. I was told to stop taking my Percocet, Cymbalta, and Crestor. I was, instead prescribed Vicoprofen (hydrocodone and ibuprophen) for pain. They fear that I have cirrhosis of the liver. I go back in two weeks for another blood test. Does anyone have any experience with this drug?

• Fine drug as long as you didn't have a fusion recently. It contains ibuprofen as well as hydrocodone, so if you've had recent fusion, check with surgeon about ibuprofen cuz it inhibits fusion.

Don't think you can cold turkey cymbalta unless you new to it and it a small dose, tho. Important to check with the prescribing doc and/or pharmacist.
  • as soon as you change you meds it will drop back to normal
    just a thought .how much paracetamol were you taking per day the safe limit on a healthy adult is up to 8x500mg per day.i had a similar problem with kapake that's 500mg of paracetamol and 30mg of codeine ,liver profile up the wall.took about 3 months to settle down .my AST is still a bit high though .do you drink? {i don't} many people think that paracetamol is harmless ..its is anything but ,,i tend to avoid it
  • I DID have a recent fusion. Is there a pain med that doesn't contain acetominephen or ibuprophen?

• The narcotics that I know of that don't have tylenol is Dilaudid, straight oxycodone, MS IR, and Actiq (Fentanyl suckers). These are immediate release meds of course. I don't know if your doctor would put you on a long acting form since they would normally have you wean off all pain meds once you recover from surgery. Well, I hope you feel better soon. Take care
This discussion has been closed.