Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The last month

eajosepheeajoseph Posts: 315
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Depression and Coping
I need to share what's been going on. In July my PM increased my Kadian (ER Morphine) and a few weeks later everything fell apart. I began having burning sensations in my elbow, wrist, hand, fingers and not all on one side. Left elbow & hand, right wrist & fingers. Sometimes both sides but not always. Spasms from my neck into my shoulders. Shoulder and neck pain. Stiffness and swelling in my fingers. My upper extremities just went crazy for some unknown reason.

My "favorite" part was the top of my left foot began swelling and hurting. It was so bad that if anything lightly brushed it I would fight back tears. Couldn't lift my big toe on that foot either (Still can't bend it much). I tried toughing it out for a while but in 2 weeks had to see my PCP. He ordered a MRI of C, T, and L spine. First time the entire back were ever viewed . Lots of bloodwork to rule out vitamin def, etc. Even checked for STD's; glad to report that was fine! :))( At my request, he referred me to a neurologist; one he would trust with his life.

Back to PM two weeks ago. They were shocked when I reported my pain was worse and in new areas. They had me slowly stop Kadian. Said it could be causing an adverse reaction. :? Researched it and talked to the pharmacist. Cannot find anything that says the med could cause this but followed their orders. The foot is feeling some better but that's it.

I woke up one morning and my R ring finger was locked completely; used my other hand to move it. Next morning, same finger locked and wouldn't budge until I ran warm water over it and pried it open with other hand. Wearing a splint at night for now. That was no fun.

Back, legs, etc are killing me now. Only pain med is one 7.5 mg Percocet 4x/day. Not even close to enough. Last night I got to sleep at 4AM. I had to take another Perc to sleep at all. Today has been hell.

I am taking all MRI/CT films and reports to the neuro on Tuesday. Called one place that did a MRI of C spine Fall 06 for the report. They said no problem just bring ID and come in. Did it today. 45min drive. Report is in a warehouse (facility was sold to CRA) and can't be there until Monday or Tuesday. I started crying right there. Fought to keep it together a little. Lady said she could fax to neuro so I wouldn't need to drive back. Went to my car and completely broke down. Just sat there sobbing. This is rare but that was the final straw.

PCP's office called to say I could pick up the MRI report of C-Spine from last summer. Get that up on the way home. Open it and it is the wrong frickin' report! I'm going to the hospital that did it and get the report. I can't handle any more screw ups.

I want somebody to figure out WTF is wrong!!!! Find meds or something that will make life bearable. I have scar tissue pressing on my nerve root at L4-5, hemangioma at T7, and lesions (not sure # or size) have been noted at various locations. I'm scared. And I'm tired of impatient drivers almost running over me when I'm trying to get to my car. I can't help how slowly I walk. I don't like it but it's the best I can do.

If you made it this far, thanks. My tunnel seems to be getting longer and darker. I think I'm going to bed.

• I so wish that I could come and help you! It is so hard just to travel and to do it for nothing,just sucks. I am so glad that you have appt on Tues with Neuro. Is it a distance and do you have someone to drive you? I hope you do, and I hope that the Dr can find some answers for what is happening to you. I will be praying for you and you will be in my thoughts until I hear how it went.
    As far as the tunnell. I have been there too. I only hope that you get some answers and solutions as well. We are in this together, and together we will beat it...Keep you chin up. I hope the weekend is better for you, my dear friend! Heres some gentle hugs >:D< >:D< >:D< :H Love, Robin
  • so sorry you are feeling so sad and blue.. :''( i hope tomorrow rings brighter and more true for you.. :D as always your SH friends are here for you!! :X please try and rest and stay still till you see your doctor... stick close to your family.. good luck and all the best! =D> Hugsss, >:D< >:D< Jenny :)
  • Sending you an angel O:) to watch over you through this tough time. :| Bless your heart, please tell me you have some friends that can drive you to your neurologist appt. if you're not up to driving.

My heart went out to you when I read about you driving all the way to pick up films just to be told they were sent to warehouse. When you're about on your last Battery cell (so to speak), you really don't have anything left in you to deal with such idiots.

I'll keep you in my prayers that you get some relief from your current symptoms --- I know it sucks and I truly feel for you. Hope the neurologist can help you out with the symptoms and get you on the road to recovery.

I pray extra hard for protection for the mommies out there. I don't have kids and I can't imagine dealing with the severe pain issues and having to be on "mommy" duty. Moms can't go down!

Take care Beth and know all you spiney friends are here to support you how ever we can. >:D< >:D<
    >:D< >:D<
  • What hit me the most in your post, are the parts you mention stiffness and swelling. Have you ever seen a rheumatologist? Maybe an arthritis is playing into some of your pain?

I'll keep you in my daily spiney friends prayers. I hope you find some relief soon.

Best wishes to you,

• Robin, lulusheart, deltalady, and Marianne--Thank you for all your wonderful words. It really makes all the difference in the world to have friends that can relate to what you are going through and are so supportive. I got sleep last night; not being exhausted makes thinking easier.

Other than my PCP, all of my drs about 30 minutes away. I can usually make it there and back. DH had been going with me to appts except for PM. But he starts his new job on Monday so he can't come this week. We're so happy that he got a job in this economy. My neighbor is a wonderful friend and is watching my daughter as preschool has not started for her yet. Son starts 1st grade on Tuesday. I definitely have plenty of friends that I could call upon to drive me if needed. I don't want to impose or take advantage of anyone so I rarely ask for a driver. Watching the kids is more important.

I definitely wonder if part of my problems are arthritis related. Could the burning sensations come from a type of arthritis? I will add that to my list for the Neuro. Up to this point, drs have only focused on one thing or another but never the whole body.

Thank you for your wonderful support, kind words, prayers, hugs, etc. I will let you know what I find out on Tuesday. Although, I think it will be more testing before an answer is found. *sigh* But that's part of the process. We spineys deal with so much and only want to get as close to normal as possible.

Being mom makes it hard. The kids are great helpers. And neither has thrown up in my shoes (while wearing them) or in my purse while in the car for a while. #o The joys of motherhood. :))(
  • just a little post to say i hope you are feeling alittle better. :D looking forward to hearing what happens at the docs!! rest and take care! :D Hugss, >:D< Jenny :)
  • Dear Beth,

Just wanted to let you know that I've been thinking about you and sincerely hope your doctor's visit goes well.

Is your doctor suggesting to go off of the ER medications completely? (I was wondering this, due to you having only the Percocet to take).

Please take good care and know you are in my prayers.

Much love,

• Jenny--I did get some much needed sleep the other night. That at least helped me to not feel like everything was falling apart in front of my eyes. Last night was a small bout of insomnia, but that's because my son's friend slept over. His mom was worried because the friend has lately been waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to go back to sleep. I'm sure that I was subconsciously worried that I wouldn't hear him. But he made it through the night without waking up! Hooray! Successful sleepover!!

Tammy--Thanks! I'm not sure what the PM is going to do next. I'm assuming that I will be given a new RX for something on Thursday. My Percs last about 4 hours and then I'm hurting again. Since I'm only allowed 4 per day right now, I end up with 8 hours in which I have nothing. (Sidebar: I still have some 5mg Percs that I was given a few months ago. If I need it, I will take one or 1.5 of those to get me through. I know I shouldn't but I'm hurting, can't sleep, can't have a life, etc. I need something to help me out for now besides just my beloved ice pack.)

I'm actually anxious, nervous, hopeful, etc about the appt tomorrow. I need a dr that will look at the whole picture. And not just one aspect. I keep having pretty intense muscle spasms in the top of my shoulders and burning through the arms and wrists. Lumbar spine can't cause that, can it?

I really really really wish my husband could be there with me. But he started his new job today. He's my strength, support, encouragement, pretty much my whole world (just add our kids and they finish making me everything I am). Will be taking a list of symptoms, meds, questions, and procedures. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. My son's 1st day of the 1st grade as well as the neuro appt.
  • i have my fingers and toes crossed for both you and your son!!! :P it is going to go great for both of you!!how exciting you must be, to be taking your son to the 1st grade!!! :X good luck on your appointment! :D keep us informed!! :D Jenny :)
  • Am anxiously waiting to heat how your appointment went. Let us know as I am thinking and praying for you. >:D< :SS :?
  • sorry double post oops 8>
  • My son had a great 1st day in the 1st grade. He loves school and riding the bus and even eating school lunches. :sick:

My appt went as I thought it might. The neurologist wants me to get an EMG/NCV done ASAP. She took lots of notes, listened to me, understood my concerns and how all of this affects so much and that I don't get "sleep" because of the pain. She asked what my biggest concern was or what I was most worried that this could be. I said that I have no idea what's going and that my biggest concern is that I will have to live like this and in this pain for the rest of my life. I'm 40 (for a few more days) and my life is nothing like it was 15 months ago. I fought back tears, and lost at times, but she never said I was depressed; she said it was pain and frustration from what she could see. She said she would do everything possible to figure this out.

I really did not want to do the EMG. I've had two of these in the past and they were not pleasant at all. I asked about the one test the second opinion neurosurgeon mentioned and she gasped NO. Apparently she feels that it won't provide enough information and with my not even close to being controlled that it would be extremely painful again.

Tomorrow I have an appt to see the nimwit neurosurgeon who did my fusion. And Thursday it's Pain Management.

At the end of the day, I have no answers yet but do feel that the neurologist wants to help me. Cause, treatment, prognosis, etc

I'm exhausted since I had another really bad night last night. Good night everyone!
  • I am glad that you had a good visit with her. At lest maybe she knows how bad you are feeling. I hope your appt today goes well too. I hope that your pain dr can give you something to help you more.
    Glad your little one likes school and riding the bus. My kids did as well until they figured out that Mom could take them in to school and home because I worked in town. That ended my 15 minutes of quiet commute. Hope you are having a good day, and that you will get some answers soon. Love ya.
    Oh, Hows hubbys new job?
  • I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough go at it the past few weeks. Percocet doesn't seem to be a replacement for the amount of kadian you were taking. I hope the EMG test goes well and no nerve problems. It's not a comfortable test at all. Do take a painpill before if recommended. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN