Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 months post l4-l5 discectomy, positive strory

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hello everyone, i'm new here :)
first of all, excuse me for possible grammar mistakes, english is not my native language.

i'm 22 years old male from poland, we don't really have such an active message board about spinal surgeries here so i thought i'll just share my story on yours, i hope it'll be somewhat cheering.

i'm a computer programmer and didn't realize at all that simply sitting for a long periods of time may produce such a horrible diesease. after few months of severe pain and being unable to sit or walk i decided to have a surgery. mri examination showed advanced stenosis in addtition to l4-l5 herniation, so surgeon decided to do open surgery. when they cut me open, it turned out that things are not as bad as they looked like on mri and just performed standard discectomy, without doing anything with stenosis.

long story short, i've been great ever since. it's been five months now and despite flareups from time to time, i don't feel any significant pain, let's say 1-2 in a range of 10. i excersise, go to swimming pool twice a week, don't sit too long anymore, probably about one hour at time, then i go to lay down for like 20 minutes, and stretch a bit.

i'm just wondering, is it enough? i know that everyone is different, but do significant amount of people get away with just one discectomy? to be honest, i'm very scared that someday the horror may come back. any advices from more experienced members?

:)
advertisement

Comments

• welcome...and all the way from poland...never been there but my great great grandparents lived close by.
    oh...there are plenty of people who have taken care of their back and never had trouble again.
    hope you enjoy this site. take a look at faq info above and hope to talk more in future....pete
  • My Dh has had wonderful success since his discectomy. It was over 7 years ago and he is stronger and more active than ever.

It can be done.

Just do what you are doing, being wise and taking care of yourself. Sounds like you are on the right track.