Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sweetpotatoe57SSweetpotatoe57 Posts: 97
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I wondered if you can stretch to much. I had surgery on L5 S1, no hardware, 7.5 months ago. I stretch at least 3 times a day. It just seems that my muscles always feel tight. Someone mentioned that I might be stretching to much. Any thoughts?? I do my core, hamstrings, piriformis, adductors, sit ups, pelvic tilts, walking, and a cow-cat stretch. What is to much? Or should I just take it down to once a day? sweetpotatoe57

• just my opinion but i think its great youre stretching and moving. in my opinion based on personal experience you cant stretch too much....pete
  • I don't have an answer for you, or even an opinion for you... :O but I have a suggestion. Why don't you try backing off somewhat for a period of two weeks and see what the results are?

I had surgery 21 months ago and there are certain movements and specific stretches that I just know are going to cause me pain. It is predictable and happens every time I do them. So I don't do them.

• Dear Sweetpotatoe,

Good for you... on keeping up with your daily stretches. Way to go! I have been doing mine since 4 months post-op and what a difference it makes. (I had experienced quite a bit of tingling sensations and numbness throughout my legs and feet, post-op. When my surgeon gave me the go-ahead to start doing leg exercises, it was music to my ears. About a month into my leg exercises, I was able to throw away my support socks. Once again, another happy day as so many of my lingering fears started to subside).

Over the years, I have always done daily stretches and pilates. There have been numerous occasions to where I would over-extend. When this happens you feel stiff, sore and tight in the affected areas.

Your best bet, to be on the safe side, would be to call your doctor and report what you are feeling. I have had to do this myself and my surgeon welcomed my phone call.

Doing daily stretches and exercises since injuring my spine, is entirely different than what I was accustomed to. I need to use caution now, but I've adapted to this requirement with no complaints. The fact that I can even walk again, is considered one of the biggest blessings in my life.

There are times where I need to reduce the quantity of certain stretches from my daily routine... due to bouts of the swelling, stiffness and pain which are associated with the arthritis throughout my spine.

I wanted to mention that I am a big fan of the pilates stretching bands. These bands are a fantastic aid in strengthening your core muscles, your upper body, arms, legs, etc. When you get to the point of being able to use these, I think you will really enjoy them. Do you have an exercise ball? Those are also good to use.

Keep up the great work, Sweetpotatoe. I wish you lots of success and hope your muscles loosen up real soon. Do you use any ice or heat treatments? For the neck, upper shoulder, knee and foot areas... there is a great salve I sometimes use. It is all natural and acts as an anti-pruritic/antiseptic. Feel free to PM me if you would like the name of it, as I don't know if I can post it here.

Take good care,

Tammy :)
  • I don't know that you can really stretch too much, but you may want to check with your doctor. It could be that you just have really tight muscles or knots in your muscle fibers. I recently was introduced to the Graston Technique -- my physical therapist uses metal tools (specifically designed for the technique) to sort of washboard the knots out of my muscles. I have found that this has improved my posture, flexibility and reduced my pain levels. The technique is not for the faint of heart. It can be painful to get those knots out of there, but it feels great afterwards. You might want to ask your doc about it if he feels you are too tight or you have knotted spots in your muscles.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.