Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please! Someone Decipher This Result

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
At the C5-C-6 level a combination of posterior osteophytic ridging and left paracentral disc bulging is present producing mass effect upon the left side of the ventral cord.Minimal right paracentral bulging of C3-C4 is present but this doesn't significantly compromise the canal.

• Not a clue -

In the meantime, do tell what your symptoms are, what's your history, what all brings you here?

...and welcome to spine-health - sounds like it's the place to be for you with what little I can decipher from the above diagnosis.
  • Sorry we can't tell you what a mri says. We tend to speak from experience. We are not doctors and that is best left to the professionals to read the results and interrupt. When do you follow up with doctor who ordered these films? If you would like to get some information on what some of the terms mean, use the search feature, at the top of the page. It will also lead you to a hoist of other things concerning the neck as a whole. This will aid you in becoming informed, so when you speak with them, you will understand what they are saying. You may want to also look at the article in the FAQ section located at the top of the page on "preparing to meet with a spine surgeon". Not that I am saying you need surgery only a surgeon can make that determination, but it will help you prepare for the meeting and will have a list of questions to ask. Take care and keep us posted. Welcome to spine-health.
  • www.spineuniverse.com has definitions for a lot of the common terms used to describe different spinal conditions.
  • i remember you introduced yourself a few days ago and at that time you were asking about surgery. i do believe its time for you to see a spinal surgeon instead of the neurologist who as i recall you were not happy with. i'm sure a good spinal surgeon will be able to advise you of the proper step....pete
  • So I can't tell you with any certainty what that means, but it certainly sounds like you have some osteophytes (usually from arthritis or some other injury) and a disc bulge pressing on the front side of your spinal cord or associated nerve roots. This is at C5/6. C3/4 has some bulging, but it doesn't seem to be compromising your spinal canal. Either way you slice it, it doesn't sound good. What are your symptoms? Is this affecting your shoulders and arms as well as your neck and back? Did you have an injury, or is this the result of aging and DDD? Tell us a bit more about yourself. We can't be of much help unless we know what you're going through.

Again, I'm not an expert, but I studied Latin in my youth, so a lot of medical terms make sense to me.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I worked for a spine surgeon and I have some experience interpreting these reports.

posterior osteophytic ridging = there is some bone growth/spurs at the back of the spinal canal

paracentral disc bulging is present producing mass effect = the bulging disc is pressing on the spinal cord

Minimal right paracentral bulging of C3-C4 is present but this doesn't significantly compromise the canal = there is some disc bulging on the right but it is not pressing on the spinal cord

Taken alltogether, there may be something going on that could be made better with surgery. But.....and this is a big BUT.....you don't say what your symptoms are but your doctor or surgeon will have to see if your symptoms correlate with where the pressure is on your nerves.

The MRI can show something that doesn't mean anything. If you are having symptoms that match the MRI then it gives you more confidence that surgery could make it better.

In any case, you need to see a surgeon and get his opinion.

Good Luck