Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain down the front of my foot

BarMcBBarMc Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am getting a lot of pain down the front of my foot and big toe and the pain is so bad that it stops me in my tracks. I have some pain coming down my leg but nothing like the pain in my foot and toe which can even keep me awake at night. Could this be coming from my lumber spine or neck? Thanks

• problem. I get pain in the front of my ankle, and under the heel of my foot. It could be sciatic. I know that's what mine is. For me, I can tell when it's just joint related, etc., as opposed to being "sciatic". It's just a different kind of pain.
    Not sure what it means that it's traveling down into your foot. Maybe further nerve root compression?

Just know you are not alone. :)

• I can't help you, but thought you'd find this dermatome chart helpful.

• i had that same trouble years ago and it was L5. had surgery...its ok now...
  • This could be part of sciatic pain. I had my worst damage at L5/S1, and I have what seems to be permanent nerve damage to the outside of my right foot. It's been numb since surgery and I doubt I will ever regain the feeling. My doctor says it is possible it will come back, even up to two years post-op. We'll see. For pain that is on top of your foot or more to the inside (medial) side, you've probably got that coming from just slightly higher up the spine (probably in the L2/L3 region.

What is your situation? Have you had testing on your back? Do you have DDD or disc bulges? Do you have lower back pain or neck pain? I hope you can find some relief.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Hi Linda,
    Keep meaning to add what I've had done. Had four spinal surgeries - two neck and two lumber so I was just wondering where the pain was coming from. My last MRI which was last May showed chronic prolapsed disc in lumber spine above the last fusion and also below my cervical fusion with two in my thoracic so they have advised no more surgery for me but although I take multi medications this pain in my foot stops me in my tracks and wakes me up its so painful. Thanks for your reply. Hope you have a pain free day. Barbara
  • Hi Pete
    Thanks for your reply - i've had 2 neck fusions and 2 lumber and wondered which area it was coming from but I think your right is the lumber prolapse which is causing it. Had an MRI last year which show a number of prolapsed disc but advised at the moment to not have surgery as tooooo many discs need attention so hoping for some miracle in surgery in the years to come that I can try. Take care, Barbara
  • Hi Cath
    Thanks for that - its confirmed what I thought and coming from L5 - I had an MRI last year which showed disc bulge above last two surgeries in my lumber and also below my cervical fusion and so surgery is not in the equation at the mo but it does help if you know where it is coming from as although I am on strong medication the pain is so severe it completely flaws me. Have a pain free day. Take care, Barbara
  • Thanks Caity - I think i've sussed it with other comments people have written - its coming from my lumber spine which is in a mess anyway but with the pain being so awful i just wanted to be sure where it was coming from. Take care, have a pain free day. Barbara