Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Worried- oxycontin shortage

meydey321mmeydey321 Posts: 2,435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Pain Medications
Well, I found out that the Oxycontin pills I was owed by the pharmacy were not able to be filled because of the shortage. It's been 2 weeks since they ordered it and have come up with nothing. I'm down to my last pill tonight (I take 2 40mg Oxycontins daily) and I hope to hear from the pharmacist tomorrow morning. What's going to happen if I don't get it on time? Will I have to be hospitalized? I had horrible withdrawal just from Cymbalta when I ran out once (nausea, vomiting, dizzyness, body aches), so can you imagine how much worse Oxycontin withdrawal would be? I will call my clinic for help if I don't get my pills tomorrow. Actually, they only have the brand name available but I cannot afford those. I already paid for my script and it was $250 for 60 pills. I'm sure 30 brand name Oxycontins cost more than that. Is it that lawsuit against the generic makers of Oxycontin, government restrictions on the quantity in the market, and the war the cause of this? I read once that someone believed the shortage doesn't exist, and I'm here to say..yes, there is one :S

• :SS Do you have the option to have your script filled at another pharmacy that may have the Oxycontin in stock? Am I reading your post correctly that you've pre-paid for the prescription already? :|

Sometimes when I've gotten my oxycodone script and taken it to say the Walmart pharmacy, I've been told they are out so I move on to Walgreens and they had no problem filling it.

Probably simplifying something that isn't that simple for you.

I just think it stinks that on top of dealing with chronic pain so many people have to cope with difficulties in getting the scripts filled in a timely manner.

Hopefully, your pharmacist will take care of you tomorrow or at least your PM doctor.

Hang in there and I certainly pray it works out for you. I find the pharmacist to be the most compassionate of all the medical people I deal with so I'm sure your pharmacist is doing everything they can to help you.

>:D< >:D< >:D< Hugs,
  • I did pay for my scrips 2 weeks ago and was told I was owed some more. I also have to stick to one pharmacy due to my pain contract, and the pharmacist is supposed to call around to get the rest of the Oxycontin for me (generic). If I don't take it the same time everyday and a couple hours go by, I get amazed at how fast the pain jumps up. I have to get it first thing next morning.
  • Hi Medey,

Would you be able to purchase a few days supply of the brand name Oxycontin, until the generic version arrives?

Another thought I had, would be to ask the pharmacy if they have any 20mg tablets in stock.

I wish you the best of luck tomorrow and hope it will all be taken care of. This is one stressor you can certainly do without! I would hate for you to have to go through any kind of withdrawals!

Thinking of you,

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    As part of my post retirement opportunities, I have an option to work for our Hospital's Pharmacy driving medications to people that can not get out.
    I was talking to one of the pharmacists the other day and he told me that Oxycontin/Oxycodone is going to be real hard to get. They have not had a delivery in over two months.. He felt this was just the beginning and that by the end of the summer, there will be no sources for Oxycontin and Oxycodone.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thank you for sharing this information, Ron.

I was given my refill scripts for both Oxycontin and Percocet last Thursday.

After I read Meydey's post, I am going to drop these off in the morning and inquire about this shortage. (Both scripts are ready to be filled). I will post any information I receive from the pharmacist.

A lot of us will need to act rather quickly, if we need to switch to another ER and IR pain medication. Oxycontin and Percocet are the only pain medications I have been taking since my surgery. Like Meydey, there is no way I would be able to stop taking my 120mg of daily Oxycontin... without winding up in the ER.

Deep breaths... deep breaths. :W

I know in my heart, our doctors won't let us suffer or go without pain medications. I can't help but wonder, why our PM doctors have not forewarned us. You would think we would be hearing about the shortage from them versus the pharmacists, or am I wrong?

Best wishes to everyone for a good night sleep,

Tammy >:D<
  • This would really suck. I just filled my Percocet and that went ok thankfully. I had to stop ER Morphine so I only get 4 Percocets a day and that's not enough. I go to PM this week. Will try to remember to ask about this.

Hope you find a solution tomorrow morning. Not knowing for sure what strengths are available, is there maybe an 80mg that you could cut in half? Let us know how this goes.
  • Meydey -

You say you are taking (2) 40mg pills. Do they maybe have smaller doses? My mother ran into this a few months back... It was the oxycodone (not the oxycontin) and instead of the 15mg pills, we were able to substitute for (3)5mg pills per dose. ALOT of pills, for sure, but it helped.

I didn't realize there was a shortage AGAIN!

• Well, I trying to figure out what I'm going to do. There's not enough of the 5mg Oxycontins on hand at the pharmacy to get me by. It will only last 2 weeks and that would be taking 16 5mg Oxycontins a day. I waiting to get help from my doctor right now. I can't afford Fentanyl, I'm allergic to morphines, and oxycontin is not available right now. The only one there is plenty of is generic percocets. If I were to fill the brand name Oxycontins, it would cost the pharmacy $600 to order it, and they would charge me around $625 for 60 40mg Oxycontins.

• Hi Meydey,

Were you able to get any of the Oxycontin's this morning? I sure hope so.

I was able to get the Percocet's (oxycodone-apap) filled this morning, however, my Oxycontin's will not be in until Wednesday. I use Walgreen's and they had to call another store to have them sent over for pick-up on Wednesday.

I am glad this shortage was brought to my attention. Others who are prescribed these meds should call their pharmacies to check availability.

Take care,

• Hi again...

Just wanted to post that I live in Arizona, if anyone would like regional comparisons of this shortage within the US.

Tammy >:D<
  • I remember this shortage earlier this year. I had no idea we were experiencing another until Meydey mentioned it in her post.

Hope it is a short shortage and manufacturing will be back to normal PDQ.
  • Well, thank goodness I'm back on again. They let me go to another pharmacy who had it in stock. However I was warned through my search that my next refill won't be guaranteed due to the shortage, and that I should talk to my doctor about the possibility of moving on to something else. I will address this issue at my next refill appt because I don't want to face this problem all the time. Oh, and last night I was getting sick and felt muscle spasms all over, my stomach was crampy and jumpy, had diarrhea, and just an overall feeling of malaise. I knew this was nothing and the tip of the iceberg. Thank goodness I'm done with that.
  • Glad another pharmacy had the med you needed. My stomach just started the same thing this morning. I hope it passes quickly for you and me.
  • Sounds like you were experiencing withdrawal....

Glad you have it resolved for now.

Maybe, you could try (try) to stretch this refill out, just in case you have difficulty with your next refill?

OR, hopefully the shortage will be gone by then. I am going to see if I can find out anything about it.
  • I was kind of surprised I'd experience symptoms so quick; I guess it doesn't waste any time huh? I wonder what my doctor will do next visit. I feel back to "normal" now.
  • I contacted a pharmacist I know (way up over in Jersey). This was his reply to me:

"I haven't heard anything about any new shortages. I just remember some people coming into my pharmacy saying other stores say they don't have it in the area (New Jersey), but nothing concrete about a shortage. We haven't had any trouble getting oxycodone 5, 15, and 30mg as of today. I will let you know if I come across anything."

Maybe what happened in your case was just a freak accident vs an actual 'shortage'?

Anyhoo - just wanted to share this info with you, and hopefully give you some postive news?

Take care!
  • I heard from two pharmacists that there is a production problem with Oxycontin due to government restrictions and the lawsuit between the brand name and generic makers. I don't know the full scope of the problem. Is this a sporadic regional shortage or a growing nationwide concern? It's hard to say when you get conflicting reports. Anyhow, I do hope this issue is resolved soon for the sake of those with chronic pain who need it to make it through the day.
  • (Sorry Meydey - not that I want you to bear the brunt of the shortage...)

Here in Louisiana, we had a shortage of sorts earlier this year. And I do believe it was because of the Manufacturers and the lawsuits, or what ever it was... I didn't have any problems this last refill (8/17). I do remember when we had the shortage, I was only "inconvenienced" one month. Actually, it was my Mom's prescription. I didn't have any problem with getting mine refilled about 2 weeks after that...

I sure do hope things straighten out for you, and SOON!

I wish I was the type that could manage to have a few day's worth saved up. But, I take every last one within the month. Maybe if I could get an increase in the ## of pills in my prescription...

Do you mind keeping us posted on your progress? Thanks!

• I'll keep you posted :H
  • Hi All,
    Yesterday, I had to go and get my monthly supply of Neurotin, and I asked my pharmasit, what was going on with Oxycotin? She told me, that there is no shortage of Oxycotin, but you will not be able to get the generic Oxycodone. They haven't been able to get it for a couple months now. I then asked about Percocets, that drug was fine in generic. They are just not producing pure oxycodone. So here's the scoop in Wisconsin.
  • Thanks for sharing this with us. I have a refill appt coming up and I will discuss it with my doctor. I certainly don't want to do the Oxycontin hide and go seek thing every month. Many of us cannot afford to pay for the brand name and many pharmacies don't want to order it because it is so expensive.
  • I just had my perscription filled on Thursday. My pharmasist has always warned me if the supply was a problem weeks ahead, and have not had any problems. Got my refill in Iowa no prob. Just FYI
  • Hi Everyone,

Just an update from DFW Texas, we have a shortage of name brand but not generic. Back in June I had issues getting even genric filled, only one pharmacy in the area still had it and they didn't want to fill my three a day for a month RX, but I finally got them to do it.

I have tried other pills with little success so I'm not sure what will happen if they stop producing this medication.

• I'm going to call my pharmacy and see if they are having a problem with getting the Oxy. I can take either the generic or the brand name, the generic cost's me $10. and the brand name is $25. so either way I don't care, I just need to make sure that I get it.
    Here's where the real problem comes in. I'm currently out of town, in another state with my hubby. My doctor told me that I could go ahead and leave town and let a family member pick up my prescription and send it to me. But that won't happen until 3 days before I run out. If my brother in law has problems he won't know what to do and I'll be in a mess of trouble. My hands are shaking just thinking about this!
    As for not being able to use another pharmacy due to your contract, I've never even heard of that. I have a contract with my doctor also which I follow by the letter (I inform the ER when I have to go and refuse any pain med's, etc.) but I am free to use wichever pharmcy I choose. Sometimes my regular pharmacy will be out of stock so I'll take my script to another who has it. No problem. Your doctor should make allowances for this and give you more freedom on where you can have it filled. As far as I know there is a database that doctors can check and see if you are doctor shopping and using multiple pharmicies with multiple prescriptions. Shouldn't that be enough to trust you? I just think you should be given a bit more leeway, look at the prblem this has already caused. How sad!
    As for withdrawal, it's a horrible experience that I've gone through for two days before. It wasn't my fault but the fault of my surgeon who refused to refill my prescription when it ran out. Gee, she neglected to mention to me when she gave it the last time that I was supposed to take less, I went by the directions on the bottle, how was I supposed to know? Am I a mind reader? No! Well I changed surgeons and found out that she had really done a hack job on me in the first place. Big wonder!
    My suggestion is if you do run out go to the ER right away. Do not allow yourself to suffer from withdrawls. It a terrible experience and one that you do not deserve. None of us do! Plus, getting control of your pain again will be very hard indeed. If I wait too long to take my meds and allow my pain to get out of control it's so much harder and longer to get it back under control again. I'm rambling here, sorry, I'm worried about my next prescription.
    Good luck!

P.S. If anyone learns of any news please keep us posted! I would deeply appreciate that.
  • Well, I went Oxy-hunting today and I called 4 different pharmacies. Walgreens wanted to charge me over a $100 more than what I paid for 60 pills from my regular pharmacy. It pays to call around esp if you are paying out of pocket. I found another place with more reasonable prices and they had the full quantity. I'm wondering if they will have enough generic Oxycontin in stock for my next fill. I heard today that pharmacies may have some generic in stock but once it's gone, they will get no more. Yikes! I also called one place where the brand Oxycontin was all out.

• So there won't ever (or at least for a very long time) be any generic oxy? I wonder what the whole story is behind this?
    I have a suggestion. Do you belong to one of the warehouse clubs like Costco or Sam's Club? If you're laying out cash they are usually the most reasonable place to get any prescription filled.
    Well, I don't mind if I have to buy the name brand since my copay isn't that much but I'm still very worried that there will be a shortage there also. This is the ONLY drug that will work or me, Dilaudid and Fentynal don't work at all. What are we supposed to do I wonder?
  • I went to pick up my Oxycontin today and I was fortunate to get a complete fill this time around. I do have permission from PM now to look around at different pharmacies for this, so I guess that they want me to stay on it as long as it's available. Another good news is that I paid a whole lot less at this other pharmacy but I hate going in there because it's like an assembly line and you have to wait 2 days for pick up a refill. I prefer smaller chains; I'm all for supporting local small businesses anyway.

PS I don't belong to Sam's and there are no Costco's in my area
  • Good news, Meydey.

You got your meds, saved some bucks and have the go-ahead to call around... should this happen again. I hope it doesn't, but at least you aren't limited with places to fill your scripts.

Thanks for sharing.

Take care,

Tammy :)
  • It's about time something is going my way for once ;) This time my pill are oblong and I looked on the bottle and the manufacturer is Teva. I don't care as long as it works just the same.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    I'm thrilled to be out of the Oxycontin - Oxycodone world ... Major cost and stigma!

The Oxy combo put me in detox and rehab after my second surgery ... my levels were near toxic.

So now today I am very happy and UADing (Use as directed)my cost effective MSCONTIN 30 BID and generic norco 10/325 2 Q 4h .... Solid pain relief ... cost effective .... doesn't make me too fuzzy! ..... Beware the OXYCONTIN AND OXYCODONE (PERCOSET) as they can hurt you as well asa help you .... with them you could be walking a fine line.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!