Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Looking for some helpful excersises or stretches

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Over the last few months I have noticed that I am getting pain down the top of my right buttock and down my right leg after several hours of driving.I have adjusted the lumbar support in my seat and am trying to sit straighter ..but still after a few hours of driving the pain returns. Can some one reccommend some basic exersies that I can do to help relieve this. It is not yet at the un-bearable stage ..but i do notice its been getting worse over time. Thanks In Advance

• You might want to get a small pillow or roll a small towel up and use it behind your back to support the lumbar curve. Also, take a small towel, roll it and place it along the outside of your driving leg. Sometimes when driving more than a short distance, the leg automatically turns out slightly so the knee is pointing toward the interior of the car rather than straight forward. This outward position causes some rotation and tilt to the pelvis which affects the rest of the spine.

One of the best all-around positions for the back is the following: lie flat on the floor, with head on a very small pillow, head positioned so the chin is very slightly tucked toward chest. Knees are bent with feet flat on the floor. Arms are close to the body, palms facing UP. Relax and breathe deeply from the belly for up to five minutes at a time.

This position is a natural form of traction that allows the discs to unload and also allows the soft tissue around the spine to relax.

I make a point of doing this several times each day, especially after a stresful activity or if I have been on my feet for any period of time.

Check here for some good suggestions from the pros: