Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

my neck

Cindyx3CCindyx3 Posts: 144
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My neck is still numb almost two months after surgery. Is this normal? My doctor said when they cut they can hit a nerve and it should get better. How long does it take? It doesn't hurt, it' just annoying and the stitches itch. Doc said they take three months to dissolve. I went for PT and she made me lay on my stomach and put heat on my neck and I think the thing was too heavy. I took one Soma and feel better. She made me ride the bike and I've been in a lot of pain ever since Thursday. My doc said if PT hurts then to stop, so when do I resume? That he never told me. I guess another call is needed.

• when i had neck fusion i had those sensations for close to a year. and i had them in more places than you. dont worry its normal for your surgery and there will come a day when they are gone....
  • This is some recovery and I never had spasms before and boy do they hurt! The PM doc saw how tired I was and told me the muscle relaxers would calm me down. I just panic and come here to let it all out. :) I hope you are doing well.
  • I bet the numbness in your neck gets better..
    My neck felt the same way for about a month.

About p.t.I had been to surgeon for 6 week check up and my fusion had Not started yet.
    A couple weeks later I went to see my rhumey for some thing not related(had been going to him for 25plus years)He said I needed to start p.t. for neck issues and balance/walking.
    So I start p.t(5 blocks from home).. This was wrong thing for me to do I find out later.

The Surgeon and the insurance company were not happy.
    I should of waited for the surgeon to order the p.t.
    But didn't know that until 1 month of p.t. 3X's a week. I believe it set me back a month.
    The bike at the beginning of each session made me want to scream from the inside out.
    The tape that was put on sides of neck to try and relax muscle tension was awful and intensafied spasms.
    I have since begun to fuse and @ this X I'm not going to p.t.
    I do my own p.t.@ home.
    Also the p.t. facility was a little to loud and so many different distractions for me.I couldn't concentrate.

I Hope your neck numbness is getting better & you figure out a good p.t. for you....
    hugs to all...Patsy
  • I'm 4 weeks post surgery and have a numb neck too. I posted about it. My steri strips have not all come off either. I was told to encourage them so I have. My scar is raised which scared me. I called the nurse and was told that is common.

I'm with you on this being a LONG recovery. I had a cry during my morning walk. My husband wants to go away for the upcoming Holiday and I'm scared to take a long car ride.

As far as PT. There are good PT's and bad ones. I'm in the fitness industry and have worked with several of them myself and with my clients. I really check them out before I refer to them or use them myself.

Before I use a PT I'm going to ask how many post cervical patients they've worked with. I hope my surgeon has a group they refer their cervical patients to. If not I'm going to question the heck out of the PT's until I find one that I trust. Laying on your stomach seems like a bad move this early in your recovery.

I'm already riding a stationary bike and walking twice a day for 30 minutes because my doctor told me to. I am not allowed to put heat on my neck just ice. If I were you I'd really check out the PT and maybe find another one. The rule in PT is if it hurts STOP!

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • I read your surgery history and am amazed.

i am in a depressed desperate state. lt s1 fusion almost 2 years ago. since oct leg and back pain has gotten worse, not it is unbearable. it is next to impossible to work, i have a sitting job oddly enough in an orthopaedic's office, i am the manager. i go home and curl up and cry from the pain.

pain doc has me on neurontin, lyrica made me feel suicial, epidural didn't work, prednisone tx didn't work, i want them to find out what is this pressure and pain from. i have such sharp pain in my back and the butt and outer thigh are on fire.

i am going back to my surgeon weds, for advice, id on't like him, "i am surgeon you are cured", but he is an excellent surgeon, jus doesn't like follow up.

any advise on what this could be, you are not medical but those of us that have gone through this know alot and you certainly have had more than your share,

do you still work? hope that's not too personal
  • Thanks and it is so good to know that you're not in this alone. I did call my doctor and he said to stop PT until I feel better. I would just think that they would know what they should and shouldn't do after a person has surgery.

I have driven after two weeks post op. I do walk and do light cleaning.
    I'll check out your posts when I get a chance and thanks for your help.

• I know what you are saying. I will not return until my doctor OK's it. He said try and if it hurts stop!!! My neck is hard as a rock and I'm in pain. The first PT was good. This new lady said lay on your stomach, she put a heavy heat pad on my neck and then told me to ride the bike. AWWWWW I know better now! I also told the first PT that doc said not to lay on my stomach and she said it was fine????? I'm going to listen to my doctor and make others listen to him as well.

• I had my ACDF June 8 this year, had been going to PT 2 times a week with no problems for 3 weeks. Then my exercise weights were increased slightly and the same day I suffered a big flare up of pain about 3 weeks ago. I don't know for sure what caused it, maybe it was not related. I started a new med.(medrol) and stopped PT. The nurse told me to start back to PT when I feel better but I'm afraid it will start the pain up again. Not sure what to do.
  • I have my own feelings about physical therapy.. I had them way back before I had neck/back problems.
    Being in the medical field for some time I have seen and heard alot..
    My second day in hospital after surgery. knock knock on my door...I hear........ Physical Therapy here.
    I'm trying to rest and she comes in and treats and talks to me like I'm some kind of dummy or something(that's how I felt) I was like what?
    Why are you here? who sent you here?...I don't need no physical or occupational therapy.. for goodness sake It had only been 12 hours since I got out of recovery room. She says well the Nurse notes you cant walk without assistance. I said to her.. yes that's true, but I walked into this hospital using a cane. I just had surgery and yes I had to use walker during night with assistance from nurse. but shoot give me time my legs wont hold me up and my arms are weak. I was ticked..but that's me and I have my reasons for the way p.t works in hospitals (sometimes)
    I did have to use a walker for I think 2 or 3weeks after I got home...But boom bang I was back to my cane and getting back to Patsy before surgery in time...
    I don't mean to say nothing negative about p.t workers. This is just my experience. The P.T. that was sent to my room was there because nurse thought I needed to be looked at. Maybe because i rang for her to help me during the night to go to bathroom one to many times. She did get pretty ugly with me. After first time of her being ugly to me I had my phone on speaker and my hubby heard how she treated me... She had talked in loud mean voice and said what would you do if you where home(i was sitting on side of bed & couldn't reach walker because she put it folded up against wall)I told her well if i was home my hubby would happily help me..I explain to her my walker should of been left by my bedside and if i still needed help i would of rang for you. She left me sitting in bathroom for almost 1 hour. with no walker around(I know she did this on purpose)(my hubby still on phone for whole time)I will quit there but it only got worse..(first 5min was recorded on my phone)I did report her.. I was a nurse for many years so i know whats wrong and she was way in the wrong.. After that I had the nicest Male Nurse.
    My thoughts my experiences(that's all)
    Thinking about you Cindy.(hoping your feeling better today)
    Smiles for Miles.....Patsy

• My sister is was a nurse from h--l. She was so mean to people I would just stand there with my mouth open. She worked emergency so time was short to deal with things but geeeze! She developed mean habits that's for sure.

As I said before PT can be a blessing or a curse. Sorry to hear yours was ugly. It makes me stronger to stand up for myself to know the good and the ugly are out there.