Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Should I have microdiscectomy back surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Lower Back Pain
I've had sciatica and back pain for about 8 months. Up until recently, I felt pain while walking and standing and I was unable to sleep on my back or front. Also, I am unable to do a straight leg raise without pain past 30 degrees. Because of this, my doctor has recommended surgery.

Recently, I felt an improvement. I am now able to walk mostly without pain and sleep on my back. On the down side, my straight leg raise is still with pain past 30 degrees and I still feel tingling in my feet once in a while (especially if I stand for a lengthy period of time).

BTW, I am 26 years old and I don't need pain medication.
According to the doctor, I have a small herniated disc between L4-L5 and a medium sized one between L5-S1.

• welcome to a bunch of other people who also have back issues. sorry you are in pain and it has gone on so long. your dr is recommending surgery. pain has hit you now 8 months. your biggest concern should be avoiding any permanent damage...aslo avoiding pain...if you are uncertain it is best you get another opinion from a surgeon who specializes in the spine. your own gut feelings are important. if this pain is hitting you so bad and you wast it ended then go for it....best of luck...pete
  • if you can get by without pain meds keep away from operating theatres
  • All of the straight leg raise tests that my many doc's have done with me produced no more pain than the usual constant pain that I experience.

I recently had an L4-L5 microdiscetomy/laminectomy/facetectomy. Part of the herniated disc was removed as well as several fragmented pieces. A few weeks before my surgery my surgeon did the leg pull test. And my reply to him was that I felt my usual constant leg burning pain. No "OOH, OWWW, or EEEKS that HURTS!

It makes me wonder about the usefulness of this straight leg testing. Perhaps it's more indicative of a problem in the very early stages.

I wouldn't think of your pain from the straight leg raise test as a downside. Perhaps a bit of physical therapy and abdominal core strengthening exercises is just what the doctor ordered?
This discussion has been closed.