Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi Everyone

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in New Member Introductions
I'm new to the site, but not to back pain. I'm 40 years old and been fighting for a long time. In 2002 I had microdiscectomy for L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1. Pre-surg, my right leg kept giving out. Almost fell a few times so had to use a cane. Surgery was great. NO MORE PAIN!! NO MORE CANE!!

Last few months, though, it's coming back. Now I have pain down both legs. MRI last week shows all three discs are herniated again. Anular tear in L4-5. I work in imaging center, so radiologist sat down with me to go over results. He's surprised I'm still standing, let alone walking.

Saw my DO this morning. Wants me to have epidurals. Problem is I have uncontrolled diabetes. Does anyone out there have any advise for me? Don't want surgery again if I don't have to. Also other medical issues that make me worry about surgery.

• Welcome to SH :H Your doctor should talk to you about whether or not epidural injections are safe to do with someone with uncontrolled diabetes. I don't know about this and I'm sorry I can't answer your question. I've been through 5 but all they did was make the pain worse for me. Sorry that you're facing the same problems again, esp after having surgery for it before. I had a reherniation 1 month post op after a microdiscectomy, so I know how it is. I hope that you're able to treat this conservatively this time around. Take care O:)
  • You can have an ESI with diabetes. I'm not diabetic, but on the instruction sheet they gave me it has special instructions for diabetics. I don't remember what they are, but your doc will advise you.

The ESI I had 2-1/2 weeks ago has helped me tremendously and I'm still doing good (but keeping my fingers crossed).

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. have you talked to a pm or a pt about other methods of pain control? :? perhaps there are solutions for you other than surgery!! =D> please have a look around the forum and make yourself at home.. :D good luck as you search for pain relief! =D> Jenny :)
  • Welcome to the board!

I just had a discectomy/laminectomy almost 3 weeks ago so I can definitely relate ya!

I hope you can get some good advice on alternate treatments.