Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What ifs????

HollieSterling38HollieSterling38 Posts: 390
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello again to all!
Like in my previous thread I stated how my scs was causing me more pain and stiffness than before... Well(deep subject) LOL .... What if it's more of an underlying condition that the scs is just really aggrivating?
I have been reading and searching for answers for the pain and stiffness like ddd and spurs and others(can't recall all specifically) that are making question other causes that could be the culprit of all this.
The ddd and spurs are two that stand out the most to me because I have both all the way down my spine and this is why I'm starting to question if that is what's causing my scs to hurt sooo bad.
To let you understand my pain,let me describe it......
Chronic muscle spasms, burning stiff pain, pain radiating around my ribs and rib/chest tightness. My spine feels like someone is driving a screwdriver through it from top to bottom(hollie on a stick).Bones and muscle pain to touch, irritability,nausea from pain and neck and arm pain.
What am I or the dr missing????
Maybe this is why the scs is hurting me so bad. Not that it's implanted wrong or not working properly or anything like that at all. Could it be all the other and I shouldn't of had it implanted in the first place for these reasons?

Just trying to figure of out. Because I know I'm not the only patient he has and he doesn't have time to research everyone for everything.
I read Rons thread earlier (thorasic pain sufferers) and could so relate to everyone there.
Wow....the what ifs are stressing me out!
I go to dr tomorrow and just looking for answers for both of us. I just know something is not right. And all the pain and stuff I listed above I have had for years and since the implant of is way worse.
So what if????
I wasn't going to post this because I feel a little shunned after my last thread.
I'm not having a good day and it makes me sad and scared to want to talk out because I don't want to hear the skeptism.(but someone else made me feel ok about it)
I'm just wanting and needing answers (that hopefully I can get tomorrow)and
I just want someone to listen to me.
My pain and situation is soooo real (like everyones) and depressing.
I need and want support and hope things smooth over here.
I want to focus on answers for me and this place has made me not feel so alone.
Thank you for your time!

• your condition along with surgery on lower and upper spine shows there was and is pressure on your spinal nerves...enough pressure to lead the dr to recommend the scs. i recall in other post you got relief first 3 months of scs. now the scs benefits are gone. to me that says scs may have migrated. dr has yet to test in order to verify migration. hopefully he will agree to do testing.
    i hear you now thinking the scs is aggravating another unknown condition...this gut feeling may have merit. gut feelings are important. obviously we here at sh arent equipped enough to diagnose problem. this is where you must communicate rationally and clearly with dr. it appears quality communication has been lacking in the past.
    i would sit down today and put all your questions on paper. hand letter to dr and let him study it. that way if you are angry or terrified your communication wont be hindered....
  • The key is to make sure that you write all of your questions and concerns down and "what ifs" and take that with you when you see the doc.

The Internet is a great place to find some answers and develop more questions, but it can also become a black pit of despair. A person has to be very careful that they don't take on symptoms of things that they might read about and then focus on those. It serves not only to confuse the individual but most certainly confuses the doctor. So basically you go in to see him with what you know and what you feel and let the doc sort through it for you.

There are rare cases where a person has discovered what is wrong with them by researching like crazy on the Internet. There are far more cases where a person finds some information, finds they fit into that list of symptoms and then they mistakenly focus on that. When they go into see the doc, they present their symptoms based on what they read and the order of precedence for the wrong disease or injury. This in turn confuses the doctor, frustrates the patient and sets everything back and delays proper diagnosis and treatment.

So what I'm trying to get at, is that it's great to read and become informed, but try not to come to any conclusions without the help of your doc.

Let us know what you find out tomorrow and then press ahead from there.

• I'm just rattling out loud trying to figure it all out.
    I've got my notes and questions ready to go.
    I'm just not having a good day and my body is telling me something is wrong!
    I'm grabbing for anything that might me the problem, but checking the scs out is first on my list.
  • tension can mess you up too. if youre not tense it would be very surprising. nice bath might help...or a bit of stretching.....
  • I'm not looking for things that don't pertain to me, but ddd and spurs are what caught my eye since those are things I know I have. I know I'm not a dr and wouldn't even know where to start trying to be in his shoes ....just need him to step into mine for a moment or two. LOL

• I am tense.... And nauseated.
    Kids have wore me out this week!!!
    Daughter started school today and son left for college today and I didn't even get dressed today.....
    A long hot bath is calling my name and my pillow sounds sweet.
  • I) Enjoy your hot bath and some well-deserved sleep so you'll be ready to see the doc tomorrow.

Sending you a >:D< and an angel O:) to watch over you during this stressful time. Take it day by day!

Take care,

• Thank you! I do deserve it..... LOL
  • Those are very good questions you have posted. I understand your flusteration and your need for answers.
    You need xrays and CT scans and I hope your Doctor orders them.
    I wish I had answers but I do not.
    All I can do is hope and prey you get the answers you need.
    Get a good nights rest and tomorrow I hope you get some answers and IF it comes down to having your stimulator removed I hope you find someone to do it for you.
    You have so much going on with your spine already...who knows....you just may have something new going on that needs to be adressed.
    Sending you a hug and will be hoping you have some answers for us tomorrow.
    Patsy W
  • Hi Hollie,
    After reading your thread you gave me a good idea of what I should check out. The upper and mid back section of this forum. (for thorasic pain) I've been sticking around in the chronic pain area since I have chronic pain and I've had surgeries on my lower back. But I have serious problems with my mid and upper back that I've never been able to get my doctors to look into. In don't know why.
    Thank you for giving me the heads up to go elsewhere for information. BTW, I too have a lot of nausea from my pain. I also feel like I have a vice around my ribs on the right side where the pain is really deep inside and radiates out. It's hard to explain to other people especially when I already have so many other problems. I know my spine has a huge curvature to it and I brought up scoliosis to my nuero doctor but he just dismissed the idea.
    Another thing, I also get severe pain in my tummy when my lower back is acting up really bad. It radiates from the back to the front. A family member actually told me that that is impossible, that back pain cannot radiate from the back to the front. Well gee, since I'm the one having it I would think I should know what I feel and don't feel. Eeek, I get so fed up at times! I swear there's nothing worse than someone else telling what you do and don't feel.
    You mentioned that you just want someone to listen, well I am. (or reading and understanding anyway) Hang in there Hollie, I am an optimist and I believe that we will get the answers to our questions someday. Hopefully sooner rather than later right? One thing that I know for sure is that all of us know our own bodies better than any doctor ever can. We know when there is something wrong, different, and our diagnosis would be so much easier if our doctors would actually listen to us and take us a bit more seriously. I'm on a hunt for a new PM/Nuero and I'm not going to give up until I find one that is the right fit for me.
    Hang in there Hollie!
  • Thank u pat I slept like a baby for the first time In a long time!
    Xanax helped along with a hot bath and a deep breath! LOL
    Todays the day ...1:30, can't wait. And he better listen or he's fired.
    LOL.....I'm going in positive and hopefully get positive results and answers!

Thank u too 'c'.....hope u find answers also. When I was searching 'the web' and here at SH about thorasic problems I saw alot said how it's supposedly is rare to have such upper back problems, and didn't understand how it's rare when there are soooo many of us who are suffering from it in one shape or form..?..
    Glad I could help lead u there and it put a smile on my face and in my heart to know
    'I' helped someone here like so many have helped me!
    Goodluck to you!
This discussion has been closed.