Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

9 month check up for 2 level transforaminal lumber interbody fusion

downinmyheartddowninmyheart Posts: 497
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Good evening, Spineys!! It has been a while since I have checked in with you, and I have missed you all. Thank you again for all of your love, support, and encouragement when I have needed it most. Angels, all of you.

I went to see the neurosurgeon today for my 9 month follow up visit.

All and all I can say thatI know that this surgery was the right decision for me. I have more mobility than I did before hand. I can walk for miles at a time. Yes, I have muscle spasms like crazy afterward, but I can walk!

Visiting the neuro today I have the following complaints still pending:

1. I still have pain in my lower back. Scale of 1 to 10, it probably stays around 2-3, but spikes to a 5 if I do anything that I prolly shouldn't be doing anyway.
2. I still have tingling and other nerve issues down my right leg.
3. I can't bend over without a decent amount of pain. I shouldn't be bending of course and so squat, but still it is there.
4. I am more stiff than prior to surgery, in general. I get up and stretch it out every morning prior to doing anything else. If I don't, I'd better watch out cause the day will be sore.
5. My biggest complaint and most bothersome problem is thatI have hypersensitivity in the right lower back, buttock, hip, and outer thigh. Sometimes even the seam of my soft cotton pants will send me over the edge. In addition to the hypersensitivity I have pain. If I get stuck or hit with anything, even lightly in this area I have a stinging external and deep burning internal pain. This is worsened by sitting, even for a couple of minutes. Sitting generally sucks. I have been on gabapentin and now lyrica to try and quell this. Gabapentin didn't help and I couldn't remember words and such, it affected my long term memory. Lyrica is not as mind altering but it is not helping me too much either. I still end up having to take a robaxin and a lortab 7.5 every night with my lyrica to get enough respite for sleeping.

Neuro wants me to get a CT scan to determine if I have fused well enough at L4-L5 and L5-S1 to call me "healed". If I am healed he is talking about injections for the nerve damage, and/or possibly an implanted stimulator. I will be having a nerve test, where they will stick needles into my muscles and run electricity through there to gauge the response to decide what the next right thing should be. I will of course, keep you posted. In the mean time, know anything first hand about the spinal cord stims?

One Love,

• Good to see you back! You would have to mention an SCS, wouldn't you? (LOL, inside joke)

Anyway, I have nothing to offer other than it's really nice to get an update and see that you're doing ok.

Nice to hear from ya!
  • I'm also at 9 months and having major pain issues. I will say that I'm slowly improving. My pain, at it's worst, is around a 7 - 8. And yes, I've had lots of pt and am doing major stretching each morning.

I've been seeing a pain docfor several months and have had 3 epidural injections, one of which (caudal) did help. I've read----somebody can set me straight if I'm wrong----that the sooner you deal with pain issues after surgery (allowing a decent interval and being mostly or all fused) that the more successful you are with pain treatments. I've had terrible lower back pain and am being very aggressive with pain management.

My point is that some of us have to find ways to cope with surgery outcomes that are less than perfect. I could hardly walk before my surgery and now walk just fine so my outcome is great if not pain free. Sounds like your pain isn't a cakewalk but it at least bearable. I have a tens unit that I use often.

Hang in there and keep us updated. My next step is to test the facet joints with a deading agent (no steroids) to see if we can fine the right nerve.

I am especially interested in how you do with nerve mapping (the procedure you described) so please let me know. That's a procedure in my future, as well.

My best and all my prayers to you for successful treatment. Kathy
  • Yes, I would love to know more about SCS. Maybe if I stick around a while I will catch the meaning of the joke.
  • Kathy,

I am sorry to hear that you are having such acute pain after the fact. I am dealing with mine best as I can and for the most part am doing ok. I was reluctant to go back to work in a sitting job as that bothers me the most, but with things the way they are right now I will take the work that has been offered to me. I will let you know how the mapping goes, I won't have the procedure until 9/28. Hang in there!

One Love,