Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

failed hardware, C1/C2 fusion. loose wires

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Anyone out there heard of this one?
Had posterior fusion at C1/C2(halo brace and all) in 1999 due to Rheumatoid arthritis and a whiplash following a fender bender. Several years later discover wire has come loose. Doc's say this is not all that unusual. However the fact that the wire has migrated towards the spinal cord and "appears to be intruding into the dura mater" is raising eyebrows. The evaluation to date is that the risk factor associated with correcting the problem does not warrant intervention. "Death or paralysis,but not necessarily in that order." Don't you just love them docs with their refined bedsides manners?
As the cervical and lumbar both look like San Fransisco railroad tracks after the 1906 quakes is not helping matters.
Several Doc's have said, "never seen this before." Heck of a way to claim uniqueness!
Anyone out there with any near similar experience, would love to hear from you.
Keep up the good fight.
Mary D

• welcome to a group of people who have spine troubles. mine is a mess too. i dont know how you keep your sense of humor. thats one way to hang in there. i never heard of the wire loose so high up in neck. i have two skews {no jokes now} that came loose from neck surgery but drs said leave them alone...all you can do is get 2nd opinion. why not ask them how thick and hard the wire is. i think your sense of humor will carry you through this ordeal....take care...pete
  • Dear Mary,
    I'm glad to here that it took years for you wires to come loose. I had a posterier C1C2 Fusion on June 9th of this year. Folowing my surgery I had to wear a Aspen Collar. Sorry I did not get the privalage of wear a halo. But I think it probably would have been better for me since the Aspen Collar is removable which I think was my downfall. Since before I had this surgery I was to I would only in the collar for 6 weeks. So when I went to my 6 week check-up the doc asked me to wear it another 6 weeks I asked him if he was serious. Wrong question, my doc does not like to be questioned. I lasted another 4 weeks of wearing it. Went for my 12 week with my wife and to get my work release. Unfortunetly he wanted another set of xrays which was my downfall, in those xrays they saw that both wires that they used to hold things together had snapped and the bones had slid 2mm out of alignment and was told that I would be having another surgery 3 days following this news. So I have heard of the wires slipping and breaking. But was never given a reason for there breakage. I really hope you do not need another surgery.