Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 Week Check Up Today

slowpoke60sslowpoke60 Posts: 139
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone,

Today I went to my Doctor for my 4 week check up from my L5 S1 surgery in July 23, 2009. He was really pleased with my xrays. He said that I was fusing excellent. If he took 100 people, then I would be in the top 10%.

He lifted all my restrictions. I am to wean my self off of the back brace in the next couple of weeks.

Even though he lifted all restrictions, he said only do what my body would let me do, to stop if it hurt. I was really surprised because before my surgery, he said that I would have to wear the brace for 3 months and there would be no BLT for 3 months.

I told him that I still hurt pretty bad and that I still had to take pain medicine every 4-5 hours day and night.
He ask me if the pain was the same as before the operation or different, I told him it was like before the surgery. Since it was not different, he said that was ok then.
He said it was from the nerves that had been in trouble for several years and that they just had to get well.
I ask him how long? and he said that it was different with each person. It was up to my body. But hopefully in a year.
My next appt. is in 3 months.
Sorry post is so long.

• Sounds like an excellent report from your surgeon. Jut don't get carried away with your new-found freedoms!! We don't want you back on here complaining about having done too much too soon. Just listen to your body and approach things cautiously. @)

You'll need to change your screen name after what the doc told you!!
  • Yes, I in tend to take it easy. After I got back home, I was hurting and really tired. So I Am taking it easy because I sure do not want to end back in there with problems.

Today my daughter finally got work from her insurance company that they approved her surgery. It is a worker comp. injury and they have been taking her to court for almost 2 years now, but last week when she went, the judge told them that he better not see them back in there and to schedule her surgery. It is about time.

She will be having surgery on L4 L5 and S1.

• Congratulations on the progress with your fusion - I hope your pain completely resolves once you are solidly fused!
  • for my appointment in 2 weeks. I am hoping the fusion is as good as yours so I can go back to work. I am bored to tears...
  • I know what you mean Khumph. Good luck on your doctor's appointment. Maybe your's will be a great reading.

It will be 6 weeks this coming Thursday and I still can't do very much without a lot of pain. I tried to go to town last Saturday and went to 3 different stores, rode around in one of the carts in one store, but I don't think I will try more than one at a time for a while yet.

God Bless
  • Hi Joyce

You must be so pleased with what the doctor said. Best to keep away from the stores for a while, but I bet it was good just to get out.

Hope your daughter's surgery goes as well as your's.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Hi Trishdownunder

I truly learned my lesson about going to too many stores.

It was good to get out, even though it hurt.

Today I drove for the first time, just a short distance to my daughter's house. They had to drive me back home. :D I guess I won't be trying to do that again for a little while.

God Bless
  • Let me reiterate: you need to be careful about pushing too much too soon. Unfortunately you don't know what is "too much" until after you've done it.

Also, take it easy with the driving. Even though you have restrictions lifted, you are smart to avoiding driving as much as possible until after your 3- month check-up. Even on a smooth road, there is a certain amount of road vibration that jars the spine. Plus, whenever the car brakes, turns, changes lanes, the muscles guarding the spine will tense up to protect your surgical site. This may not cause problems, but it might contribute to muscle spasms...which are better to avoid when possible.

The best thing for you now is to rest and walk, rest and walk and walk a little more. Put everything else off for awhile.