Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical fusion after attempted murder

beagleboybbeagleboy Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi. I'm 4 weeks post op from anterior cervical fusion(c2-c3). Earlier this year I was randomly attacked by an individual who was high on something. I was stabbed 18 times and fell about 100 feet off a cliff. The fall resulted in a broken neck, fractured skull, 2 collapsed lungs, epidural hematoma, and a broken ankle. The fact that I survived is nothing short of a miracle. I had several other injuries but I don't want to make this post too long so I'll focus on my broken neck. In February I was placed in a halo. A few weeks after the halo was removed, my vertbrae started shifting. It was stable for a few months but it got worse in July so I underwent cervical fusion. The operation went well, but of course I'm anxious over the uncertainty of my bones fusing since I won't know for a few months. I'm not sure if I'm going to have physical therapy after I get my neck brace off. Do any of you have experience with cervical fusion or post op physical therapy? I appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

• i want to say first of all welcome to the site.I had a three level fusion and two months after the operation i started physical therapy. Most people have some sort of therapy after the operation,in a few cases i've heard of people not doing it but i'm sure it depends on what your body was like before the fusion and if you have weakened muscles and such to rehabilitate.Its a miracle that your alive after everything you went through.I hope everything goes well for you from now on.
  • Welcome to Spine Health. You will find many members here who can relate. Probably not many on the attempted murder issue, but definitely on the broken neck and fusion recovery.

The hardest part is having the patience to let yourself heal and the tolerance to do what it takes to get better no matter how much we don't feel up to it.

Welcome to the neighborhood,

• You have arrived at a wonderful site. I had C5-6 fused, and I'm one of the few on here that had neither a neck brace after surgery, or PT. Generally at 6 weeks checkup you will have an X-ray. It should show if fusion is starting, but total fusion can take up to a year. So as C says, patience is a key element in your recovery. As is following your surgeons guidelines, especially about weight lifting restrictions, mine was nothing over 10 lbs.

It sounds like an awful experience, but the Good Lord must have something special in mind for you to do after you heal O:)

Again, welcome, and post as you heal.

• hey Tammy. i just wanted to thank you for your reply. did you have multiple surgeries? did you wear a neck brace post op? i hear that a lot of surgeons dont require patients to wear a neck brace after surgery. i dont understand this because it seems like the bones are still very fragile even with the screws and plate.

i feel like i can relate to your injury. of course the circumstances are different, but our lives were both turned upside down because of terrible choices that people made. i try not to let my anger get to me, but it can be difficult when people do such cruel things. i pray that you are doing well.

PS how do you make the message that appears under every post?
  • You have been through alot, did they ever arrest the person responsible, I am sorry you had to go through something like that. I have had a cervical fusion as well as three back fusions, yes I did have to wear a brace for 6 weeks, then I had to be careful for 3 months after, every individual is different in the healing process, what worked for me may not be what will work for you, I do hope that after everthing you have gone through, that this is a walk in the park and that you have no problems. You have shown us that you are a strong person with a will to survive and staying strong is what will carry you through this. If you need us know we will be there for you, Welcome aboard the spiney crew, and Good Luck with everything, if you get nervous or just want to talk just come back here and talk to us, there are so many good people here, and all of which genuinely care about each other, that is what makes this forum so special, I have met some lifelong friends here and we talk everyday, it helps to get through the rough patches, try it you wont be dissapointed. Keep us up to date.
  • I only had to wear my collar for the first three weeks and only when i was up doing something,when i was relaxing in a car or on the couch i wasn't to use it. Every surgeon has his own rules on the collar.I do use the collar when i'm in the car now because of the accident it really hurts my neck still to hit any kind of bump in the road.Once the car ride is done though i take it off.I only had the one surgery,he did three in the one surgery.It was a big surgery so i here but i don't have anything to compare it too because i've never had a surgery before.LOL Yes some days i find myself sitting and getting very angry as i recall the accident.The person in the other car has no idea how she impacted my life and she hasn't had to pay for it at all,but i try not to dwell on it too much and get back to my day as it is right now.
    I'm a bad one to ask about the messages.You can go into forum faqs i think and it may say there.Hopefully someone else will come on and help you with that question.I had a heck of a time doing it myself :/ If you have anymore questions for me you can always PM me ,anytime.
  • Go to the top of page and click where it says my account. At the top of page on the left hand side, it says view (and)edit. Click on edit, then you can add info.
    Try not to get too anxious over your recovery, stress makes pain worse. I know, easier said than done!