Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

In the words of Roseanne, Rossana Dana -- It's always something!

deltaladyddeltalady Posts: 610
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Chronic Pain
:?? Yes, it is always something! I got the results back from the MRI of my left foot. My primary care doc called me yesterday to say I needed to go back to my podiatrist and have him clean out the mess in my foot.

A Little History: My surgery was in Oct/08, small incision between third and fourth toe - for morton's neuroma -- incision site healed according to schedule. Beginning of June incision site started to swell, saw podiatrist about it, he said didn't know what was going on and put me on antibiotics. He said if that didn't work would have to clean out. I went to PC doc few weeks back for second opinion and he sent me for MRI.
Impression: Focal mass-like lesion between the third and fourth digits, corresponding to the area of pain and swelling as noted by the vitamin E marker. Associated inflammatory edema along the dorsal subcutaneous soft tissues at this level, as well as extending into the fascial plan inerposed between the third and fourth metatarsal heads and along the volar aspect of the subcutaneous soft tissues is also noted. There is inflammatory enhancement of he edematous subcutaneous soft tissue and fascial planes.

A small fluid collection volar to the third metatarsal and distal metatarsal identified.

The constellation of findings is suspicious for either extensive postoperative hematoma versus extensive postoperative fibrosis.
This whole SAGA for me (with sciatica etal) began with my foot surgery in October. To say I'm going a little mental at the thought of another foot surgery is an understatement. The podiatrist told me he'd have to leave it open (meaning no stiches) for it to heal.

I know I need to be positive but anything that sets back my progress with healing my sciatica issues just really bums me out.

What really bugs me too is that I have NO IDEA why my foot developed an infection SO LONG after prior surgery as there were no cuts on my foot to get infected. I'm a very clean person -- my house is clean. Go figure?

I listed this thread under chronic pain because I'm also not lookin forward to MORE PAIN -- right now the area infected is sore and uncomfortable but I don't have any throbbing stabbing pain. I don't know what it will feel like after surgery.

Okay, I've babbled on enough and whined enough to my spiney friends. Feels like I'm heading back to the front lines of the war where this whole thing started. Flashbacks! 8}

I'll know more when I see podiatrist this Friday.

It's always something!

Luv ya,

• i'm no dr and even if i were i'd never understand that foot report....
    but i am a concerned guy who hates the fact you have this added problem...i guess something got in the wound last year that just festered.
    i do wish you luck and hope the trouble is curred so you can go attack the next problem...at least we're all fighting these things together... >:D< >:D<
  • :D Maybe it's time for a little "boatramp therapy" (LOL). First I need to find the "healing waters"!

How are you doing my friend? Up early this morning!

Take care,

• hi!!! :H i just sent you a pm!! i did not see your post!! sorry you are having such feet trouble. ~X( we need them badly!! LOL! take good care of them!!! :D L, Jenny :)p.s. it is always something!
  • I'm so sorry to hear about your foot. I didn't think an infection could happen that far after a surgery either. I guess something got in there and slowly festered like Pete said.

Hope that you don't have a lot of pain from the procedure and that everything heals quickly! We definitely don't need any more pain. >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • It sounds like you are headed back to the battle zone but I'm sure the dr. will take care of you this time around...esp. keeping your primary involved too, that will let both drs. keep "check" of you and each other so nothing is missed! I can't believe these infections and problems fester so long before showing up...kind of frightening. My s-i-l had an operation/inf where the dr. kept it open and it did heal much better with time so there is a positive story to help you along! Let us know what you decide and when.

• I am so sorry you are having added problems!! Everyone is so right, we do not need other problems added to the mix.
    I had the same surgery on my foot as you had but had no more problems after that. Oh yes...I did drop a bathtub on my foot right after the surgery(long story)LOL
    I hope everything goes well with your added surgery so you can focus on your chronic problems and get those cleared up.
    Sending you a hug.... >:D<
    Patsy W
  • Sorry to hear about this latest development with your foot. I know your podiatrist will take good care of you. Yes, when it rains it pours. I hope you get better soon. Take care >:D<
  • on both feet at the same time in 2005. I just wanted to get it over with. This was all happening about a year after my back really started bothering me. My husband would dunk me down in the tub so I could at least rinse off. If I had to do that surgery again I would do it all the same way. Good Luck to you. I hope you heal fast so no more infection gets in. They may have you irrigate your feet at the surgical site.
    I would also ask your Dr. to do a culture from the area so you can get on proper antibiotics, if he feels it necessary.
    Good Luck, bite the bullet one more time 8}
  • :D Thank you for your replies (Pete, Jenny, Beth, Kathy, Patsy, MeyDey, Miss Piggy -- this too shall pass (LOL)-- what would we do without each other for support!!!!

Thank you my O:) O:) angels!

• I am so sorry that you are having these problems. I know that sometimes it seems like it is one thing after another, (personally) but I hope that you will soon have this put behind you.
    You are always the one that sends me the angels, now I want to send some to you. I hope you get to feeling better soon. Take care and consider yourself hugged! >:D< Love, Robin
  • I see your updated picture with the new grandbaby! How sweet!

Enjoy and thanks for the encouraging words.

This discussion has been closed.