Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Muscle spasms

HollieSterling38HollieSterling38 Posts: 390
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:35 AM in Chronic Pain
Just a thought .......
This is something I was told by both nerosureon and pcp.....
That muscle spasm are a way your body reacts to something being wrong and they spasm to protect the the problem going on.
Has anyone else been told this?
advertisement

Comments

• i heard that here on sh but my drs never said anything like that...
  • I have been told that too, by doctors and PTs. And it makes sense to me. I have also been told that sometimes muscles can get into a chronic spastic (turned on and can't be turned off) long after the injury is gone. That too I can understand....but in my situation....I have had chronic muscle spasms for 2 1/2 years - even received botox injects - that didn't stop the spasms at all.

So I am at that place with the doctors - WHY won't my musles shut off - is there an injury (my case a moderate herniation and lots of bone spurs, DDD and arthritis) - but they are not so sure, still have reflexes and strength.

Don't know if this applies to your statement - but it does make sense to me regarding the muscles.

pfm
  • My understanding is that the spasm can keep you from going into a position, where you injured yourself in the past. In this case, your brain through memory is using pain to control your present actions. It can be unlearned by exercise and gentle stretching through the same motion, so both the back and brain "see" you doing the action that caused an injury and then "Sees" a new outcome. It takes time to re-train the brain.

There are time when the back just has spasms, which are related to nothing, misfiring nerves. This may be due to injuries.

• I just know I have had constant spasms for years and mine won't let go
    even excercise for me makes it worse. They are spassed cuz something is wrong.
  • Hollie...I was wondering the same thing about muscle spasms. I just had spinal fusion on July 2, '09 of C5,6,and 7...my main complaint has been for six years severe shoulder spasms in the area of the shoulder blade on the right side. Someone dropped a box of candles on my neck and these problems seemed to start after that, but I also had my gall bladder removed (unnecessarily) because I had right shoulder pain and nausea. Didn't fix a thing. Now the spinal surgery has not helped the shoulder spasms one whit. I have been searching everywhere for any ideas on what this might be...TOS?? Brachial plexus problem?? But nothing seems to match this particular area of spasms. I've tried injections, PT, painkillers, muscle relaxers, and now major surgery all to no avail.

When I was 14 I had a posterolateral thoracotomy, which is an extremely invasive surgery (they sawed two ribs out and pulled my shoulder out of the socket, but on the left side) and I'm wondering if, all these years later, my muscles could be screwed up because of that and the heavy lifting I've done. Any ideas?

I'm new here, so please forgive the long post. Glad to find this site!
  • I've been told that by all my doctors, my pcp, ortho, ns, neurologist and pm doc. I have severe spasms in my neck and shoulders, the only thing that's given me any sort of relief is the baclofen which I started a couple of weeks ago, and the nerve blocks, but they don't get rid of them, and only last a few hours... We're still on the search to find total relief...
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Spasms control my life. I use 2 spinal cord stimulators and I need to have them running 24 hours a day in order to function. The drawback is that the stimulation to the nerves triggers muscle spasms. The spasms are in my right shoulder blade and my neck. I take Flexeril at night and it seems to help but I have to suffer through the days. I can't take any muscle relaxers during the day because they make me too sleepy.
  • They just won't shut off! Just constant if I tale something or not it just won't stop!
    Pain in the booty!
  • I've been having the same problem ever since I fell 5 weeks ago. Doc says it's from infamation. MRI and CT shows everything ok.
    I also read that Lyrica can cause spasms.
  • It seems like I have been having muscle spasms forever and ever. Right now as I type this my legs are just firing away. Now, I am starting to get them in my left arm! Argh. It is frustrating. I have muscle spasms that muscle relaxers don't get rid of. I have pain, that pain medication does not get rid of, and I have nerve pain that nerve pain medication does not get rid of. *sigh* Guess that means I am supposed to be feeling these things for whatever reason. I am living with it, trying to make the best of it! Wish I knew the why too.

One Love,

Stephanie
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.