Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Brand name vs generic

charryccharry Posts: 5,657
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Pain Medications
I called the Pharmacy to order MS Contin. I asked for the brand name this time as I feel the generic wasn't working. They had them the next day and don't supply them usually as they're too expensive yet my insurance covers the cost. After 3 days on them I feel a little dizzy but have more pain relief. I really believe there is a difference with generic vs brand name. I thought they were all the same before. I know there's other stories on brand name meds vs generic but even my Dr thinks they're stronger. Anyway maybe I'm getting a little better instead? That would be great indeed. Charry
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,836
    Many times when I was refilling my Oxycontin, Oxycodone, Opana, etc, there would be a sticker on the pill bottle that says, Even though these pills look different and are the generic brand, we guarantee that there is no difference
    I dont know, I've never noticed any difference, but I have read about many people who have seen that. And Charry, you witnessed this yourself right now.

I really dont know what the correct answer is. For me, if the pharmacy told me that my current pain medication (Opana 5mg) was made from tree barks and monkey dung, as long as it worked, I would be fine.

But its when those generic pills dont do the job or when you get the real stuff id does more.

I just dont know
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • My doctor told me that if I get generics and have to split a tablet (like Vicodin) that the distribution of the med may not be even and the half that I take may not truly have half of the meds that I am expecting. Otherwise she says there is not a difference except the quality control process. QC is actually higher with generics to make sure they match the name brand.

If I have the opportunity I will buy a generic any time.
  • I don't know if there is any difference between generic and name brand that I've noticed. BUT if you are feeling a difference then I stay stick with the version that works the best for you. Hope you keep feeling better and better Charry!!!
  • i was sick and has acid indigestion .so now i get the branded version Oxycontin and oxynorm and no problems .the pharmacist told me that it is down to the additives and bulking agents used in the manufacturing of the drug
  • Straker, I bet that's what it all comes down to. Not the active medication itself but the "other" ingredients that are used to actually make the tablet or pill or whatever.

I agree 100% with eajoseph, you go with what works better for you!

I hope you are able to find the name-brand again, sounds like that's the winner for you. I absolutely understand pharmacy conundrum, I've been fighting that for several months and finally have found a good one I think.
    Spiney hugs >:D< >:D<
  • Typically, the difference in name brand versus generic drugs is the "delivery system". A question to ask your pharmacist is does the generic metabolize the same as brand name. In many cases it does, but sometimes it doesn't. That is why you may have a slightly different reaction when you take a generic versus name brand.

Agree 100% about splitting pills. There is no way to accurately tell how much drug you are receiving and how much "inert" material you are getting after cutting a pill.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Sometimes you can even tell a difference between generics. For instance 10mg hydrocodone is not always 10mgs. The FDA mandates the manufacturer produce a product that falls within a specific range of hydrocodone content to meet the 10mg classification. Brand name products will make sure they put the full 10mgs of hydrocodone while generics depending on the brand won't because they know as long as they meet the range requirement they are in compliance. For example Mallys are typically on the lowest end of the range.
  • My wife used to work with some startup pharma companies. They would take the name brand drugs and create generics. There is good money in this if you can pull it off. One simple rule is that there must be something different in the generic so that it is not a 100% copy of the original. I'm not sure if it is just in the delivery system. One I know of it is not in the delivery system. They actually changed part of the drug. However you would not know the difference. It is a very popular drug and most do just fine with it. The beauty is instead of the original that sells for over $100 a pop this sells for under $30.

There are some generics that have been proven to not be as effective as the original. Some doctors also have certain generics they are dead set against. My mom's heart surgeon is 100% for her taking Plavix and no generic. Her internals doc has agreed to sub all her meds with generics. For a senior with 6 meds. That changes her monthly costs to basically the cost of the Plavix. The rest are $0 copay. Until we hit the gap of course...
  • My 1st comment, yeah! I cannot take generic pain meds even on a full stomach because I become completely nauseated. I can take name-brand pain meds all day on an empty stomach. I've tried this several times and it is what it is. It has been explained to me that the generic versions of pain meds use a different "binder" with the actual medication and it's the binder material that causes me problems. Also another biggee about generic meds in general (not just pain meds): generics only have to meet a minimum requirement of 75% of the active dose or ingredient to be considered a generic alternative to the name brand med. So, since I take 150 mg of Topomax, when my insurance company switched me to the generic version, I could have been actually receiving anywhere between 112.5 mg to 150 mg of the medication. My neurologist wrote my Rx for "dispense as written" so we would know exactly the dose i was receiving. I find this jaw-dropping! Hope my 1st comment was helpful to someone.
  • I am just the opposite of you. For me the generic pain meds work better for me but in other types of meds I can't take generics. That is really strange huh?
    I have a lot of problems with medications even brand names.
    My pain Doctor said there IS a difference in Oxycontin and Oxycodone. He will prescribe Oxycodone but will not Oxycontin!!
    My GP Doctor says they are the same. Go figure
    I know some Doctors will not prescribe generics and some will.
    The debate over generics vs brand name has been on going for years and will continue until drug companies will admit there IS a difference and what the difference is.
    Patsy W :H