Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fentanyl Patch Question - regarding heat

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Chronic Pain
I have done a lot of reading here. I am going to see my Dr. this afternnon. Often times he asks me what I want to try next.
The last time we tried Opana ER - 10 mg x2 daily and then uped it to 20 mg per every 12 hrs with Vicodan 550 for inbetween. No help ! :(

Any ways...... so I was thinking of the Fentanyl Patch, but my biggest concern is I have a water bed. It is completely waveless and I swear by it for helping my pain. However I keep reading that the Fentanyl patch can't be worn around heat. Is this info correct?
Thanks, Beth :)

• The best person to ask is your pharmasist.... And the dr.

• Thanks Hollie, :)

Yep that is what he gave me ( 75 mg ) and told me I could put it on my stomach. As of my injury it is impossible for me to lay on my stomach.

I don't know why I could not just remove the a\patch at night time?

Due to other health issues, I take so many night time meds, I am never in pain while I am sleeping. So I would not need the patch in bed.....

• If I remember correctly don't remove cause acts like time release and you change it every couple of days...that's how mine was anyhoo...
  • Ask your pharmacist!!

This is for round the clock pain. It takes about 18 hours to ramp up and if you remove the patch- it will not "re-stick", it is a one time use only. Don't break open the patch either. Only a person who is narcotics tolerant should handle them with thier hands. I started on 25's them with BT up to 50 and then on the 75's.

If you use a diary to time your other meds - detail where you placed your patch and when you placed it.

It helps if you are unable to talk for what-ever reason.
  • http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/ucm125846.pdf
    What should I avoid while using DURAGESIC®?

• Do not use heat sources such as heating pads, electric blankets, heat lamps, saunas, hot tubs, or heated waterbeds. Do not take long hot baths or sun bathe. All of these can make your temperature rise and cause too much of the medicine in DURAGESIC® to be released at once and this can be dangerous.
  • You cant take your patch off and put it back on. It will not stick. Also, with a waterbed, I know the label so no to them. The patch has to remain on for whatever length your Dr perscribed. Usually 3 days. You need to put them on at the same time every 72 or 48 hours. Whatever you are supposed to. Also you cant really get them wet. Without a waterproof bandaid over them, they fall off. As expensive as they are, you really need to be careful. If you have any questions, please PM me.
  • Also if you have a problem with it staying on try a bandaid or tape over it to keep it secure.
  • Thanks to each of you.

I can't sleep on my stomach ( physically impossible with my injury ), so I put it on my stomach last night.

I told Dr & Phar. that I have a water bed and they told me to put it on my stomach and ( knowing I can't sleep on my stomach ) I would be fine.

Truthfully if this was a problem, I would give up the patch first. The water bed ( totally waveless )is a God sent for my arthritis and other such pains.

Thanks - Beth ♥
  • so far so good with that Hollie, but I plan to get some papertape to keep on hand just in case. I read that I should only tapes the edges of the patch?
  • Fentanyl has its good and its bad. The good is its great for round the clock pain. It is 300 times stronger than oxicodone and metobilizes longer in the body. If you feel like a prisioner to pain pills patches are a great alternative. And for chronic pain there is nothing better than not waking up in sever pain. It really helps control the pain most of us do not take our pain meds till we start to hurt and that is not good. That is why a constant dosage is great.

But some of the bad is that it is very long process to stop using the patch. if that is even an option for most. If your skin is sensitive it will be hard to use a 72 hr patch. You have to be cafefull bout getting them wet they wont stick and also the risk of infection under the patch, they should not be placed where you sweat because there is nothing to absorb the moisture and no air flow. The bigger the patch the more issues you may have. If you love the water you dont have to give it up but have to plan around when its time to change your patch. its not going to hurt to take off for a little bit before placing new one. Its important to document when you change your patch most boxes have a place on the back to write. And they must be flushed and not thrown away they are damgerous to our wildlife and pets.

Beth I hope you find the pain relief you are looking for, it may also help to use some kind of nerve med., and antiflamtory if the pain is something you have to deal with for a long period of time then. Also try to find ways to help lessen the pain with out meds. maybe heating pads, tens unit, water therapy, excercises like streatching and breathing nothing hard, ultra sound therapy, acupuncture. You would be surprised how a few small thing make a big difference.

Best of luck
  • well toyoung the truth behind the patch is I am obese :''(

I want something to help with the pain enough I CAN swim and do water therapy again. When I was first hurt that is what I did and it worked pretty well.

Then new injuries and such developed and I gained a LOT of weight and got in a LOT more pain and now can't do ANY exercises :(

SO the plan is to give me enough pain relief that I can exercise....which in turn hopefully will also help my pain level.

I am a tad worried about being in the water so much with the patch on though.

I still do and always have LOVED to swim...
  • Do you mine me asking what all meds you are on? And do not be sad of the weight gain. unfortunatly it happens more than you think with back injuries.

Also if water therapy is something that will be a big plus with you than see about getting some tagederm its waterproof. If you can place it over the patches then will not have any issues.
This discussion has been closed.