Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Questions about ACDF surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Has anyone been told by their physician that they have permanent nerve damage because their surgery was postponed too long. I'm only 49 yrs. old and am upset that I will have permanent restrictions after this surgery. Don't get me wrong I feel some relief as far as no more headaches, however I am still experiencing pain in my arm and neck. I am also feeling the numbness and tingling in my arm and hand. Also I have a lot of numbness in my leg and foot. I do have a bulging disc in my lower back but the numbness is a lot worse since this surgery. Could this be related? ACDF @ C5 and C6

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Welome to our forum! many of us have had to have revisions to previous ACDF's ..... go get checked out! Did they say you are fused? ... have you had a post surgerical MRI or cat scan? You may want to demand these follow up's to see if things have progrssed. It is know as DDD .... just becase we've had surgery .... doesn't mean our problems are over.
    Pain, numbness, tingling, meds, have become a daily way of life ..... but life goes own.

Peace and serenity to you!

Bless us all,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I should have had surgery three years ago. He said permanent and my neuro said we have to wait and see. They basically confused me, because one doc said permanent and the other doc said not yet??? I wish they'd get it straight! I get very upset!

• How long ago was your ACDF? Have you had an EMG to determine the extent of nerve damage? If your surgery was within a year, you may still see some improvment. Don't give up hope yet. You mention restrictions, what do you mean by that? If you care to tell a little more of your story, we might be able to relate better to our experiences.........and if you already have, forgive me, I didn't see it :D Hang in there, at least the headaches are gone!

• I had C5/6 fusion done 1/08 and have done very well since. It took about 3 months for my arm symptoms to go away completely. When was your surgery? Also, why was your surgery done? You mention a bulging disc in your lower back. I had a bulging disc at L4/5 which was due to spondylolisthesis, after physical therapy failed, I had a L4/5 fusion done in 7/08.

Best to you,

• I was injured at work in 2006. The company sent me to a doc who said nothing was wrong with me, I know hard to believe right. After 2 years of fighting with the company it was ordered by the courts that I go to the doctor I was supposed to see in the first place. One look a my MRI from 2006 and he said I needed surgery and should have done it in 2006. After my ACDF I am having a lot of complications that the doc says wouldn't be happening if I could have been operated on sooner. I don't sant to apply for disability but when you have permanent restrictions shat do you do. No lifting over 25 lbs. No lifting above shoulder level. No repetitive motion. No overtime. What is left. Just a little depressed.
  • No I believe it, work comp docs are paid by your company.

I understand your depression over applying for disability. Its hard to accept the limitations. I tried several times to go back to work, just couldn't do it. Took me 2 years to accept that.

Try to stay positive, hard to do I know. Concentrate more on what you can do, not what you can't do. It takes practice, but you can do it.

Best to you,

• I'm curious about complications after ACDF due to surgery should have been done in 2006. I have not had my ACDF, inj. in 2003. Yes, I have dealt with work-comp. Its getting late and will try to post again about filing SS DIS. I can't lift over 10lbs,sooo many restrictions. My intro letter is (Hi to all spineys) in back/neck surgeries or neck pain forums, can't remember, having a senior moment at 57yo. :))( I get depressed 2,but not ready to give up yet, will talk to you further (|: >:D< :H
  • :H Finally got my restrictions. I can never lift 15 lbs. repeatedly and never lift anything above shoulder or at shoulder level. These are permanent! I am still healthy otherwise so I feel blessed. Basically I need to find a job where I can make my own rules.I'm only 49 years old, yes I think this is young. LOL Hopefully my compensation will be enough to give me time to decide what to do. I really don't want to file for SSDI but I will cross that road when I get there. Thanks so much for your replies. They mean so much!!!!!
  • :)))

Neck pain has been bad last 2 days. One day at a time.

• I was told that because other doctors jerked me around for 2 1/2 years with shots before I saw the Neuro Surgeon . I had my ACDF done in June 09, still have as much pain as I did before surgery. The Doc says wait until the 6 month mark to decide on going off work permanently but I am tired of waiting. C5 through 7.