Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

c3,c4 injury and muscle jerks

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have c4,c5,c6 fused and it went great! That was over ten years ago. I was in a wreck and two days later went to the hospital and they told me that I had broke c7 a stable break and they called it a shovlers or something real close to that. They also informed me that I had herniated the disc between c3,c4 and refered me to a nuro surgen who sent me for a cat scan and an mri. Afterwards he told me that 5 out of 10 doctors would take me and do the surgery right away to fuse c3 to c4, the other 5 would wait and see if the swelling went down and the pain went away and he was with the 5 that would wait. He told me the complications of fusing them and tolsd me to go see a pain managment doc. I did and she has me on morphine 30mg and a breakthrough morphine of 4 mg's> I am also on tizanidine4 mg's and celebrex 200 mg's. I am also taking Senna a natural laxitive to combate the morphines side effect of constipation.
The pain is bareable for the most part with the meds and i am numb most of the time in my hands and part way up my forearm, my toes are going numb too but was told that had nothing to do with this injury. Most of my pain is in the neck and shoulders and radiates down my arms. Surgery has been selected after 8 months of this torture.

What my query is, is that my legs (both at the same time)when I am laying down will sometimes jerk complety up to my stomache or my arm will suddenly jerk from the elbow up to the height of my shoulder and nothing else will move. Out of the clear blue no warning just boomb sudden and very quick. Even my head is jumping in a violent yes motion. It is one time mostly and on a few occasions they jerk twice and it's over except for the pain I am left in from the sudden movement. The pain is not in the legs or the arms it is in my neck and shoulders. Is there anyone else out there that is having simular if not the same reations to either the injury or the meds? And if so which was it or both?

I have read a lot of these posts and didn't see any that were the same, if so I am sorry for the duplicate.

Thank you for any information that anyone has so I can talk to my doc about it the next visit which is two months away.

• So no one that has read this is having the same thing happen to them or has heard of this happening to them? I really thought there would be someone out there that was going through this and we could talk some.
  • Ron,
    I have been having these muscle jerks too! Sometimes they almost knock me off the bed they are so violent. I have like electrical shocks when I have them sometimes. I told my neurologist and she looked at me like I was from another planet. Well, I got on the internet to try to find out what it was....my conclusion was dehydration. I am not much of a water drinker, but I started drinking at least a gallon for a couple of days....You know the muscle jerks got much better. Just a few twitches. Now I am back to drinking my diet Sunkist and starting to have the jerks again, though mild. So, I guess tomorrow will be a water day. I am just glad to hear that someone else has had them. I have been so baffeled.

• Sas,
    thanks for letting me know that you were having them too. I am not a big water drinker either and I will have to have a water week too see if that makes a change. I have to say that the feeling of electricty isn't there but some days are much worse then others. Some days only one appendage and others both legs and arms flying. I laughed one time so hard a friend asked why is that so funny and I told him they would love to have seen this in the movie the exorcist. I was wondering if this was some sort of epileptic sezure or did I need to start seeing A preist. I still have almost two months to go to return to my doc.I will gladly try drinking more water and check in and let ya'll know if it starts to subside or goes away.
  • Sorry I missed this post before now. I get those involuntary muscles contractions as well. I am always afraid I am going to hit someone by accident. They come for no rhyme or reason no pattern that I can see at all. They are worse as I drift off to sleep get the sensation I am falling. I also have the electric shock i like to call it i am vibrating. Somedays you others can actually feel it happening. I have been to see a nuerologist about it and not much help except it is coming off my spine. Spine surgeon thought it maybe something else. I do think you need to call this surgeon and let them know this is happening though. I am fused from c3-c6 with c6-c7 herniated. If there is any pressure on the cord it is going to have consequences to your limbs and the levels below it. Here is a link to myelopathy and cervical stenosis which may lead you in some directions on your search. http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spinal-stenosis/cervical-stenosis-myelopathy

Hope this helps and keep us up to date on how you are doing.