Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How serious is nerve damage (please I need help)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Scoliosis
I'm 22 years old next month and I've had kyphosis (73 degrees), scoliosis (11 degrees) and Lordosis (9 degrees) since I was 13 and it's been getting worse. Last week I was sitting down normally, watching tv, when I had a severe, sharp pain in my upper back (which is weird because my pain is usually lower-mid back) and it lasted about an hour. Since then my back has been in a lot of pain and I've had a tingling feeling all up my back and it has even moved into my arms and legs a little bit. It's starting to worry me especially since I can't get into my doctor until sept. 10th (my doctor is ridiculously hard to get into).

The pain and tingling has been getting worse so I'm wondering if I should be worried about serious effects or if nerve damage is just minor.

I see a neurosurgeon Sept. 8th, as well. I'm hoping I can get the surgery to be honest I'm too young to feel as lousy as I do. Anyone had the surgery, btw, because I'm a little curious as to how that works.

Any help would be much appreciated.

• I just wanted to say welcome to spine-health. I don't have experience with this type of surgery, but I'm sure others will be along soon. You've found a great support site, and I look forward to seeing your posts.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I don't think you need to worry about permanent nerve damage. Nerves are tricky. They can be fairly resilient, but are also very finicky at the same time. Also, the medical community still doesn't know a lot about what does result in injury and what doesn't.

I don't think at this point you can even call what is going on "nerve damage." It would just think about it in terms of having done something that has irritated a nerve. I would suggest you ice the area several times each day while awaiting your doctor's appointment. If there is any inflammation around the nerve, this should help to bring it back down.

I'm sorry I'm just now seeing your post. Are you feeling any better by today??
  • How did the appt. go? If you have any questions regarding scoli fusion surgery, just ask and I'll do my best.
This discussion has been closed.