Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone Know about a AME?

adambaadamb Posts: 46
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Just wondering what does the Exam involve and are they very lengthy. This is a Post Surgery Exam from L4/5 fusion in 2008.
Just seen some write ups that even though some are in pain and are unable to work or go back to work get released by the Dr. anyway. Just wondering if anyone has gone through one and what to expect.

• Is an AME the same as a Functional Capacity Exam (FCE)? An FCE does take most of an afternoon (or morning to complete). They run you through different exercises, measure distances you can stretch, how much weight you can lift, etc.

The people giving these tests are not only watching your physical abilities, but they are also watching to see if you are holding back or not giving it 100% effort. They WILL document their impressions on your report, so it is best to comply and do what you can. Obviously, if something is causing you pain, stop and don't do it. Tell the evaluator that it is causing pain.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I believe it is not, I am going to a Dr.'s office he is under the American Medical Exam (or Licsensed by them) Similar I believe to the IME? Not Sure though. But if it is a medical Exam has anyone gone through this?
  • IME stands for Independent medical exam. The purpose of the exam is to have a third party who is neutral to exam you. The doctor shouldn't stand to benefit one way or the other. The doctor is supposed to be a mutually agreed upon by both parties. My best advice to you is to make sure all your medical files are present at this exam. Don't rely on another party to do it for you. In my experience key parts of the file get left out, could just be a accident, but it is your body that needs the treatment. I would write down a head of time all the issues you are having and how it effecting your life. You don't need to tell them of things that wouldn't have anything to do with the injury you are there for. For example if you have a lumbar issue and your wrist hurts, your wrist is going to have nothing to do with your lumbar area. However if you had been injured at work and you hurt your wrist in the injury then make sure you tell them.

As far as the actually appointment itself be a honest with the doctor as you can. Try to do all the things they are requesting you to do. The IME doctors go through special training and certification. So they are trained to pick-up on certain things, such as waddel signs, non-compliant, inappropriate pain signs. They are not there to cause you in harm but rather to protect the interest of both parties. So if you are really injured, just be honest with them and tell them all the things that involve your injury. I have completed 4 of them and had no issues with any of them. The doctors always ruled in my favor. Make sure you have list of all your medicines and any previous treatments as well. I can't express how important it is to be compliant and truthful with the doctor. Anyway hope this helps, good luck and keep us posted.