Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

RefugeeRRefugee Posts: 100
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I know some things are embarrassing to talk about but thats why we post here right?

Just curious about incontinence and what part of the spine affects that area of the body? If I only go to the bathroom once in a week and thats when I take it upon myself to do something about it and if I lose control of myself with the gas situation is it any type of medication or incontinence. The doctor questioned me on this but I thought it was actually going on yourself I didnt think it could be loss of control of gas also.

Can the cervical spine cause this??

• This can be an embarassing problem. Have you always gone once a week? Pain meds can be very constipating. I have found a high fiber diet very helpful.

For more info, you may want to check out this website: http://www.uptodate.com/patients/content/topic.do?topicKey=~f0ab4wp/xXlpnf

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Best to you,

• sorry youre having this difficult problem. im just going by personal experience but i dont think constipation is a result of pressure on spinal nerves. diet, activity and even what sex you are can affect this problem...women moreso than men may have this....as for gas...i find that just prior to your being able to move your bowels the gas becomes more prevalent. gas tells you not to get too far from the bathroom...at least thats my experiece >:D<
  • Ditto to Pete's comment.

Also - I did have issues pre-op, it was the opposite, I would have no control of my bladder. Surgery seems to have cured this perfectly (thank heavens!)

From what I understand it was my S1-L5 that this came from - lumbar.