Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 Months Post-Op--Still have pain - Lumbar Fusion L5-S1

lmacleanllmaclean Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had Posterior Interbody Lumbar Fusion on L5-S1 with decompression,a titanium cage, rods and screws on 2/27. The surgery went well and so did the recovery for the most part. I did physical therapy for 2 months. I went back to work full time on 6/15. I am an Accountant(Ford Motor Co) so I sit a lot. I try my best to get up and walk. It has been 6 months since the surgery and I still have pain. Not the same pain I had before the surgery. The pain is higher. I feel like I have a brick in my back and it hurts on both side of my spine and sometimes in the middle. I can't stand for long without it hurting. Could it be the scar tissue? After my 3 month visit with the surgeon, he said to only come back if I am having problem? Is that normal?

• you must be happy to be back at work and have your brain stimulated by more than painkillers. there's till plenty of time for nerves to calm down. you may see improvement still in the year to come...i hope so...pete
  • I know it's only been 4 weeks, but my STD runs out in October. My leg pain is gone, but my back pain is 100x worse then pre surgery. Can't do more than 10 mins at the computer without extreme pain even in the brace. I'm in accounting too and spend most of my time at a computer. I'm really concerned that I won't be read to go back to work by October.
  • Sitting is really bad...I felt really good before I went back after 3 months. What type of surgery did you have?
  • Hi, I agree with you, sitting is hard, and walking for more than 10 minutes is also hard for me.
    But I hope as time goes by, it will get better for all of us. :)

God Bless
  • You might want to call your doctor if your pain is "different" That is one of the questions that my surgeon ask me about when I told him that I was still having a lot of pain after 5 weeks.

God Bless
  • I also had a spinal fusion in February, 2009 and am still in pain. I have had physical therapy for 2 months and walk 3 miles a day. I have to force myself to do the walking but know if I don't, I will be even more sore the next day. My surgeon says that it could take up to a year for me to recover. I take Flexiril but that's it. It has truly wore me out because it is difficult to plan anything as I never know how I'll be feeling. I live alone and have had to rely on other people to help with just about everything. I have a high tolerance for pain and have been told that numerous times but this has gotten to me. I do not have leg pain but the lower part of my back hurts. I can't sit longer than 20 minutes and when I get up - it's tough. I can't bend and when I have contacted my surgeon's office - they just tell me its normal.
  • wow i know how u all feel im 10 weeks post op and it seems i am getting worse.kinda odd cause i felt better at 2 weeks post op im having trouble getting out of bed the pain is so bad that i don't even wanna lay down..now im having trouble even getting out of a chair.im thinking i have a pinched nerve cause the pain is so bad..i called my doctor and they say its NORMAL ALSO no its not normal Ive had hip surgeries that was a walk in the park compared to this pain im calling my doctor again today and complain again if he don't do anything im gonna have to get a second opinion...im thinking surgery was a bad idea i recommend anyone to real make sure its what you want cause once they do it thats it ur stuck with it...i wish the best to all of you
  • hi can I ask how your back is now as its been almost 6 years as I'm coming up to 6 moths post op and starting to get same pain in my back as before the surgery over the last 3 weeks been getting some verve pain aswell
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

This discussion has been closed.