Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

itzamemomiitzamemom Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Can anyone please offer me information about the BMP in Cervical spine surgery? I'm getting ready to have a single level fusion done at my C4-C5 and docs want to use the BMP. I'd like to know if anyone out there in spiney land has any information they can offer me.
Thank you

• BMP in the cervical spine is not approved by the FDA and there are warnings that have gone on the packages as of July of last year. The only reason i can see them using BMP is if there is a major concern for fusing. If you have already had psuedoarthrosis, heavy smoker, or osteoparosis. I had BMP placed in my cervical spine as I have already had psuedo, however it was done before the official warning came out. Do you know why they are wanting to use the BMP? The side effects to BMP can be life threatening in the cervical spine, as it promotes swelling. There just isn't much room for swelling in the cervical spine at all. Now to my understanding what she be done when using bmp in the cervical spine if a must is to use a steriod with it. There are some here who have had it used with some good results.

Another problem that can arise is if the BMP is over used can cause un wanted bone growth. If the BMP is spilled on a bit will grow on the nerves and this can't be seen on films. BMP leaves the body very quickly once used. By the time you are leaving the hospital the BMP is out of your body. Unfortunately it may take some time for the damage to show up from the use of it. The swelling will happen within days of the surgery, sometimes within hours if there is a problem.

My best advice is to check with your surgeon and find out whey he/she is using BMP, and further get another opinion not affiliated with him on the use of it. There are some very good post in Neck and back surgery about using BMP. If i can be of any further help don't hesitate to pm me. Take care
  • I had lumbar surgery - so different than cervical -

But, I did have issues within hours of my surgery. The doc went back in and took all of it out from inside the spinal canal (that swelling that occurs within days of surgery that Tamtam mentions) It has caused what I now consider to be permanent nerve damage in my right leg.
  • information to know, thank you. I had expressed concern to my doctors about healing, because in the past I've had problems with it, hence the BMP. They want me to be a part of a study involving the BMP when I have my surgery, but told them I would have to think about it. I do know that there's a link off the FDA's website about the new BMP study. Thank you again for your input.
  • All I can say is they used it on my first c5 - t2 fusion and i have had a lot of further issues in my neck since moslty failures and infection. personally i only want my own bone used as a history of fractures and failed fusions.
  • hi tamtam, are BMPs used in the artificial disc replacement; ProDisc ?
  • hi tamtam, are BMPs used in the artificial disc replacement; ProDisc ?