Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

First bone density scan :(

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:35 AM in Osteoporosis and Fractures
Will it never stop!!! I just had my first bone density scan last week. I'm 63, 112 lb. female.....hip/femur -2.5 and worse was lumbar spine (L1-4) was -3.7. I've always had lumbar problems, have a known herniated disc and mod. stenosis but it has been stable. Two years ago I sustained a very painful L4-5 annular tear that took 9 months to heal.

I've lost 1-1/2 inches in height but I thought that was due to my two cervical fusions (total C3-6.) I didn't realize I'd shrunk till I was measured at my first Rheumy appt. in June. I'm now on placquinil, did 6 weeks of Vit. D, and now on predisone 5 mg a day which has finally brought great relief to my cervical spine, wrists, and fingers. Working dx is probable lupus and raynauds. Rheumy will tell me osteoporosis drug options at next appt 9/17.

I'm concerned about separating lumbar fractures from DDD and osteoporosis and what treament options I'll have if this happens.

Does anyone think I should make appt with my spine ortho doc for x-rays at this point?
advertisement

Comments

• I think you should do whatever feels right to you. I am 37 and have osteoporosis t-3 of the lower spine and hips. I take an injection once at night called forteo. supposed to rebuild bone within 2 years. right now im thinking about whether to do discogram and or nucleoplasty. Ill know when it is time for my appt as will you the decisions we make are right for us and no one else. whatever you decide good luck
  • I know refugee you can't say much....but I also think, since I am post-menopausal by many years, this bone density scan is near what one would expect.... I'm also a cynic and think they started the hoopla over this when so many women went off of HRT....got to make money someway!

I will be working with my spine surgeon tomorrow and may run it by him, if he's in a good mood :) He's never xrayed my lower spine, and I sort of want to know if there are any collapsed vertebrae already. From my reading, you can have these without experiencing severe pain.
  • Yea me to. I am gonna request an mri of the lower spine cause of the pain factor and tingling i have going on.I just hope to get it done before the deductables and caps start over in october. Sorry i cant give any advice my osteo is bad to and im 37 so go figure. I think it is maybe something to do with where we lived and our lifestyle cause my husband has it to. His isnt as bad but close. I wish u luck with whatever decision you make let me know how it goes for you and i will do the same.
  • Refugee - the more professional literature search I do the more I am convinced this is a huge scare technique, and the Rx's so far only help a very minimal but the long term adverse effects can be severe. Didn't talk to my spine surgeon, but did run it by his PA. She said they don't look at the BDS's as it doesn't change any surgical decision.

I did get a CD of my scan so had all the numbers to plot into the UK FRAX computation - and now that is under attack. Most all the studies were done with funding from the pharmac companies and Merck/Fosamax is really under the gun and major lawsuit just profiled in NYT. The jaw necrosis issue is now becoming so large that reports are coming in where dentists are refusing to pull teeth etc. if a person has been on any of the biophosates.

My rheumy called and was almost crying when I said 'no' to any drug treatment at this time. For now I will take Calcium citrate with Vit. D pills (because I am on Prilsec for GERD & citrate is not dependant on stomach acid for processing) and start walking more after work. I know my diet has played a significant role for lack of Ca & Vit D.

I don't regret having the scan done, but I think I will just tuck it away for now. Yes, osteoporosis can happen at any age, and men too. If rheumy wants to pursue this then he will have to do lab work to make sure this is not related to parathyroid or other disease issue......I see him on the 17th so will report back in after I see him.
  • I have been on fosamax and now my doctor wants me to try the forteo injection. I am scared because of all the side effects like rapid heart beat, joint pain and nausea.
    Does anyone experience any of these?
    What else should I be worried about?
    I am scared. I have alot of factures and pain in my spine.
    Let me know, please help.
  • i do it at night and havent had any reactions so far. took me a week before i could use the needle just couldnt stand the thought of doing it and the needle is so tiny. I dont even feel it. been on it for a few months now and have to do it for 2 years but i had to get bone built back. My doctor didnt give me a choice i went in thinking i was going to get a script for a once a month pill and walked out with a full bag of stuff. good luck with your decision.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.