Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Concerned about going back to PT

yellowboyyyellowboy Posts: 46
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had ADCF on June 8 and then started physical therapy about 5 weeks ago. About 1 1/2 weeks ago I had a severe flare up of pain, stopped going and now am not sure if I should go back. The nurse prac. said to return when I am feeling better but ....
What get me is the therapist did a full report when I went to see the neuro surgeon after three weeks of PT and then he asks me " are you getting any physical therapy " ? so I know the report was a waste of paper. Just wondering how beneficial it is at this point. I have the bands and weights- the same as she was using, and have started back VERY lightly on my own

• If you are doing these same exercises as you were shown, great! Keep going! I would also suggest getting back to the PT now too.

I had a flare up - went to a 8 or9 - on the day I was on my way to PT. I went because I wanted PT to see what I was like on my worst days. And with this in mind, we still did some work, but he was great in pointing out what I should work on and what I should avoid! BTW - my PT was from Britain - had been one of the PT's that looked after spine surgeries aftercare. So he was very much aware of how to handle me, while I was in acute pain.

With his help - I was able to reduce my normal turn-around time of 8 to 10 weeks from a flare-up to 4 weeks.

It was with the PT's help that I learned how to look after myself with a few "NEW" tricks that really shortened my rehab.

I use PT as a resource and give me pointers every 3 to 4 months when I am not in a flare up situation and make sure I am improving. It also keeps me honest with myself!

Hope your doing better!
  • I agree that so much boils down to who is doing the PT. It can range anywhere from a wonderful learning experience to a meaningless one or even harmful one. It is so important to find a good physical therapist. It can make ALL the difference in the world.

My surgeon never read the notes from the PT. I bet that is typical. My next surgeon hires his own PT and his him in the same office space so if there are ever any questions about what the PT is doing, he finds out right away.