Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sacral tilt, sciatica/piriformis symptoms - PTSD

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
Just over one year ago I was first diagnosed by a competent chiropractor No. 1 with piriformis syndrome and told this was the cause of my then mild Sciatica symptoms.

Approximately one to two months later diagnosed by a second competent chiropractor No. 2 as Sciatica causing piriformis syndrome. X-rays were taken showing my right hip/pelvis to be what was termed "significantly" higher than my left. There was no finding of bulging disc, spinal injury or blunt physical trauma.

Six to seven months ago, a Kinesiologist "mentioned" my sacrum as an issue, but not as actual cause of increasing pain.

A third chiropractor made no real diagnosis but recommended decompression therapy. My first session relieved almost all of my pain. Ten to fifteen future sessions gave no further relief.

All chiropractors attempted to "adjust" my right side to no avail. My left side would adjust, but not my right.

Again, six to seven months ago, an M.D. at an urgent care facility related that all of my physical symptoms were due to PTSD. (Two years ago incident causing severe emotional shock which led first to a two month episode of hyper? mania, followed almost immediately by first terror to the point of physical shaking -- not fear or anxiety -- terror and then severe depression to the point of immobility (only sitting and lying down) great difficulty speaking, thinking, concentrating and thoughts/plans of suicide). "Mini traumas sporadically throughout life (age 51) and very early childhood trauma -- origin unknown as of this date. Have sought hypnosis via clinical psychologist specializing in hypnosis.

Treated with several psychiatrists who determined that I was "disabled" and not capable of working -- at least full-time or with any stress. I was miraculously "accepted" for disability through Social Security which has, to a large extent, prevented me from becoming homeless. The psychotropic medications (bipolar, anxiety for sleep and an ADD medication for fatigue have all been useful in my return to mental health) provided my daily life has little stress.

Urgent care physician, who diagnosed PTSD, suggested "get moving and keep moving." His recommendation was to swim in a warm water (92 to 94 degree) pool. I've been swimming at warm pool since the first week of this recommendation four, five and six days per week consistently.

An experienced and well trained aquatic instructor/therapist certified in Watsu(sp), stated she could not treat me as my pain issues were due to trauma (with no knowledge of M.D.'s diagnosis). This instructor/therapist suggested -- first -- meditation.

A local and highly recommended physical therapist diagnosed sacral tilt and very specifically instructed me to stop swimming as this would destabilize my sacrum.

While at the physical therapy location, was carefully taken through a series of yoga therapy exercises by a yoga therapist/instructor that I had worked with in a previous job and had/have a great deal of trust in.

For the first time in months, I was pain free for four to five days. I was given the yoga therapy routine in a "stick figure" diagram for home practice.

Prior to the sacral tilt diagnosis and recommendation to stop swimming, I seldom had any discomfort from my warm water swimming. Almost immediately following the "stop swimming" recommendation, I began to experience difficulty/pain sometimes during, but mostly after my swim.

I purchased a very high-end inversion table again about six to seven months ago. After first being too aggressive in my inversion, the table was put away until two to three weeks ago.

I've been pursuing meditation, very limited inversion, the yoga therapy exercises, and recently added playing a "singing bowl" (Tibetan singing bowl made in Nepal which claims to have healing effects. I am also utilizing my mind to "re-frame" the most recent trauma, for releasing shame and guilt and for basic relaxation. These practices are fairly recent (three weeks or so).

As my Medicare will not go into effect for a few months, I have no health insurance in order to rule out other medical possibilities or to continue with chiropractic, physical therapy, etc. I've spent most of my money on medical care and am now without further financial resources from any standard medical facility.

I have been becoming more discouraged, more confused and am in almost constant pain, from mild, moderate to severe.

If there is anyone who can make any sense of this lengthy description of my physical condition, I cannot tell you what it would mean to me.

I was active most of my life in softball, jogging, bicycling, tennis, aerobics, rollerblading, etc., and within only a two to three year period of time, am told that none of these activities are suitable and would even be damaging.

I am willing to do almost anything to regain my health.

Any competent suggestions would be more than greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Bobbi1762
advertisement

Comments

• you are to be commended on your determination to find answers.
    my first thought is that you should get back to swimming again...you felt better doing it.
    my second thought is to see an orthopedic or neuro surgeon who specializes on the spine. this kind of dr would have the most knowledge to find the root of your pain. the xrays and chiro evaluations would not carry the weight of a spinal surgeons diagnosis. sounds like youll have to wait till insurance kicks in.
    keep us posted bobbi and best of luck....pete
  • Thank you for taking the time to read my post. My Medicare will have to "kick in" in the next several months or so and perhaps I'll seek an ortho or neuro opinion at that time.

There was an interesting experience with the "sensations" today. After a yoga therapy session and a slow and gentle walk, the "sensations" became more and more strong and captured my attention. For an hour or so all I could think about was getting home and finding some relief.

Instead of the method of relief I was planning on, I turned on a Buddhist meditation talk session titled: "Making Peace with Pain." Through some relaxed breathing, visual imaging and simply following along with the speaker, the "sensations" have diminished.

Though I am not without pain, it is less consuming, less intense and, at this moment, my mind can open to more of my world that simply: in pain - want out.

This is very new to me, this concept of the power of our mind. However, I've experienced the power of the mind in its capacity to damage. If the mind is powerful enough to cause physical damage, it only makes sense that it is also powerful enough to heal.

Thank you again. I was concerned that the length of my post would discourage comments.

Bobbi1762
  • you seem very open to try all sorts to help your pain, have you tried having spiritual healing, available free from spiritual church ? i may upset some people by suggesting this but it has helped me in the past.
    it is very calming and also calms the mind, things you are already doing like the yoga etc.
  • Bobbi,

have you tried NUCCA?

Popeye7000

advertisement