Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 year update ALIF

matfredmmatfred Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi there,

well it has been 3 years this month since I had my ALIF done.I had no discs left at the L5/S1 level.Now have Peek cages with BMP and a plate with 3 screws. I was thinking about this forum today ( my surgery anneversary) and how much it helped me while I was going through surgery and recovery. a lot of things have changed with the site and a lot of new people have since joined.ot even sure if any of the oldies still look at this site. (bruce/steveb to name a few) I just wanted to say that 3 years later I have my life back. The surgery for me was the best thing I have done. I can do all the things again that I could't do before like running, and just every day life with the family. I still take it easy ( don't vacuum to much or lift heavy things). My scans look great and I was wel fused at the 12 month mark.I realised that my life had changed when I was painfree while walking. Its the weirdest feeling I had. Suddenly you just realise that the pain has gone and that you have a spring in your step again. So, I just wanted to say, hang in there all of you..there are succes stories out there, its just that we are not online much anymore as we are out and about.
This is a great site for info and for support while you go through your journey to better health.It sure helped me a lot when I was going through it all.
take care

• Hi Sandra

So happy for you :))) :))) :)))

Must be such a joy to be able to do most things again.

It's experiences like your's that give me hope. I'll be having an ALIF in 6 weeks time and looking forward to getting my life back again.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • i am sure that you will be fine. make sure that you do your research so you know what to expect. Where abouts are you? I am in brisbane.
    Anyway, goodluck and just remember one day at a time,small steps and you will get there.
  • Sandra,
    Your story is truly uplifting. I am relatively new to the forum and am almost 5 weeks post-op lumbar fusion, but I have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge and support from the wonderful folks here. It is so important to hear success stories to encourage us as we struggle to heal and work towards pain free days - you give us hope. Thank you for sharing and know that you are an inspiration.

• Thank you for sharing. That is so great and uplifting to hear. I just read somewhere that after you have the surgery your other discs start to degenerate above and below and 11 years later you will start again and I was so depressed. I can't go through this again and certainly not if I feel like I am feeling right now.

So it's so good to hear that there is success. Blessings and congratulations. O:)