Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A Poll please. Cervical, thoracic, lumber, or a combination?

I am curious to know where your back problems are. More specifically I am curious to know if there are many of you who have more than one affected area.

One Love,

• Stephanie,
    I have pain in my lumbar area and radiculopathy. Of course if you look at my MRI's my lumbar spine is fine and I have 3 levels of bulging & stenosis in my cervical spine. No symptoms directly from that though! :)
  • I have cervical and lumbar, a combination I understand that is quite common.

• good morning...i'll get it started with three for three..now let me see if these parts of me are talking to each other this am... >:D<
  • :D Lumbar and sciatica.

• That was a typo. Lol, I feel like I am made of wood sometimes. Old dried out lumber, not a young fresh sapling.
  • with pains in feet as well, numbing in feet, aches and pains everywhere really (|:
  • C-spine,L-spine,T-spine,arms,legs,knees,right hip,feet,my mind and heart...
    hmmm,where does it not hurt?

• When I left my neurosurgeon's office after my second spinal surgery he said"see you next time"-It seems it is common for people to have repeat spinal problems.Why? I quess it is different for everyone.I was in a car wreck 25 years ago that probably shifted all my vertebral disc's just a tad-or slightly weakened them.I wound up having repeat surgery on the same lumbar site 20 years after the first.Taking proper care of myself-{learning my limitations and relearning my strengths}has been as much of a challenge as the surgeries.
  • is where my problem are! I am scheduled for a 2 level 360 fusion L4-S1.

• I started with lumbar problems (2 level fusion 2003, another 2 level lumbar scheduled for Jan 2010).
    While my lumbar area was crumbling my neck started to completely fall apart too. Oh well....
  • My problems are mainly lumbar (severe stenosis, spondylosis, degeneration, herniated discs, etc.), but the neurologist who did my EMG and nerve conduction tests thinks I may have cervical/thoracic problems too. I haven't had any scans done for those areas yet. Basically, when my back pain is at its worst it radiates over my entire back, up my neck and down my arms, and also down my legs.
  • C-spine: ACDF in Oct. 08 on C4-7 with plate and 8 screws.

L-spine: L4/5 facet joint problems, bulging disc and stenosis, causing lower back pain, tingling, and sciatica in both legs. Injections Aug. 6: ESI worked for now, only one bout of sciatica, but LBP is returning after facet joint injections.

DDD throughout cervical and lumbar spine.
  • I have been having acute pain in my shoulder and left side of my neck for about 3 weeks now. I have previously had pain and discomfort there. I went to the doctor today and he wants me to get an MRI as he thinks I may have a pinched nerve in my neck. :(
  • I have pain in all 3 levels, mostly in Lumbar and Cervical.
  • Hi Stephanie,

I have most problems with cervical and lumbar spine, with a problem mid-thoracic thrown in for good measure. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I have had 4 cervical surgeries and 2 lumbar surgeries. The surgeries started with cervical issues then proceeded to lumbar. I hear it is common that once one goes out the other will follow.
  • I have pain in my cervical spine. Had two fusions (one C5-6 and then a revision), and posterior foraminotomy from C4-6. Now have problems with C7-T1 that is giving a heck of a time with radiculopathy and hide-and-seek symptoms. I also think there's a bulging disc at C3 or C4, but the orthopedist says it doesn't show up on the scans, xrays, etc. THen why the pain?

I would love to be pain free, even for a week.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    Hi Stephanie, I like your post. It will be real interesting to see how the results come in.
    For me:

- Lumbar (surgeries)
    - Cervical (surgeries)
    - Thoracic (to date, no surgery)

I believe that when one part of your spine is impacted there are good chances that another part will have problems also.
    In my situation, it was Lumbar first (no fusions) then Cervical (fusions) That basically left my lower spine and upper spine rigid. So guess where the stress went to? The thoracic area.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • The pain and discomfort I was having back in Sept 09 got better for a while. Now it is worse again. I can't turn my head to the right very far. My shoulder hurts all of the time. My neck hurts. PT is not helping. I think the doc is going to order a CT with myleogram. Joy and Elation! Keep me in your thoughts and prayers please!

One Love,

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    when we dont see a member for a while, we always hope that it is good news and that they are feeling so much better.

It's something about spinal things. We get the problem, we get a solution, things look good for a while and then it can come back , either the same way or in another fashion.

Sometimes we can explain that and sometimes it just doesnt make any sense.

Well, I hope your upcoming tests just show some flare ups and nothing to really worry about.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • early acquired, mid teens, started cervicL, then progressed to lumbar then thoracic

all levels in cervical and lumbar

multi level severe spinal spondylosis, multi level severe degenerative facet joints muti level, ddd muti level, severe stenosis multi level, crushed nerves muti level, multiple osteophytes thru entire spine, pressing into cord in cervical, complete massive disc shattering in lumbar, pieces broken off, led to caudia equina and complete motor paralysis in legs, permanent nerve damage, bone on bone vertebrae, limited rom in cervical and lumbar, pain, cant walk far, sit long or stand long, driving limited, adl's severly restricted, cerviogenic severe headaches, awfull back spasms

• I have problems in my lumbar, thoracic and cervical spine.

The cervical and thoracic problems have seemed to get worse since my lumbar fusion. My doctor thinks it could be just that the awful pain I was getting in my lower back and legs is now so much better that I am noticing the other pains.
  • lumbar, stupid lumbar.
    2 surgeries and it still hurts.
  • Chipped C-3 25 years ago. Still stable. No surgury

Thoracolumbar Scoliosis Rototary right

DDD everywhere

Osteophytes all lumbar levels

Multiple diffuse disk bulges T-12-L-5 indenting Thecal Sac , moderate Spinal Stenosis at these levels

Multiple Tarlov Cysts at T-12 L-1, L-4-5,S-1

Oa in Lumbar spine and left hip

Osteopenia in Left hip and Spine
    Severe Radiculopathy Left hip,leg
  • Lumbar
    Pain in arms, legs, neck , upper and lower back with headaches. 25 years of walking on concrete plus rearended.
  • Still waiting for cervical MRI results, xrays show arthirtis, but I have a lot of symptoms.

Two T vertebrae have fused themselves.

Lumbar is a mess, L5 is sliding over S1 (Grade 1); sciactica & I just found out spondylosis with myelopathy.

• Started out actually when I was 21 having a car accident where a semi pulled out in front of me while I was cruising at 50 mph. I slammed the brakes on and tried to throw myself down in the seat because my car was going under the semi trailer. My head jerked back on the steering wheel on impact. That was the start of my spinal problems. At that time I had traction, acupunture, some meds, and dealt with alot of pain in my right shoulder and arm for the next 10 years on my own. Was told I had soft tissue damage that took time to heal. By the time I was late 40's the lumbar issues started. Discetomy at 50 that did not help, and now at 52 my Thoracic is going crazy on me. I wonder now if maybe the whiplash at 21 wasn't the start of all my problems to start with and threw my whole spine out of wack. I never had my neck MRI'd, they only Xray'd back then. So I guess I am a triple decker.
  • a bad fall in the bathroom while hospitalized. Hit the front of the shower in the low thoracic area. CT scan on Tuesday. The results are less than pleasant. There are two fractures in T12, but also a lesion that is most likely a tumor. Will have a full body bone scan next week to see if there are more lesions.

Don't know what the treatment will be, guess it depends on the type of tumor it is.

I have dealt with back problems since I was 18. The disk at L5-S1 is narrowed, apparently I was born that way. Extra stress on the rest of the spine is why I have lived with chronic pain for 48 years.

I get injections every 3 or 4 months and they help quite a bit. I refuse to take narcotics, so 800mg Motrin will have to do.

DDD along the length of the spine
    Laminectomy at L4-L5 in 2002
    Neurostimulator Implant in 2003 because of nerve pain in both legs
    Implant replaced 3 times (This last one is a good one!)
    Herniation at 5 levels of the lumbar spine with stenosis, especially on the left

• No problems right now with thoracic. Lumbar is awful. It stops me from going anywhere. Some pain in neck stating back on Lyrica...Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN