Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The little things that regular people take for granted

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:35 AM in Chronic Pain
I just clipped my toe nails. And I have to laugh at myself every time I do it. Because of the way I have to "contort" my body to do it. There is a mirror across from me, and when I look over in that direction I laugh at that guy and wonder what the hell is he doing.
At this point I'm as stable as I'm going to be. So I'll get a laugh for years to come!
Good luck, Jim :''( =))
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement

Comments

• laugh and we all laugh with you. i'd be happy too if i sould even cut mine. i wont tell you how long its been :-C
  • I can picture you Jim..
    (Good physical therapy for the Mind & Body)

I still cut my hubbies toe nails.. he is as squirmy as a worm being put on a hook..
    Makes me smile thinking about it.. You would think I was pulling out his tooth.
    hugs to all..Patsy
  • I'm so happy you clipped your toenails <:P It IS a big deal for us and an accomplishment. Congratulations =D>

PS. Hey, could you clip my toenails? And throw in a pedicure while you're at it? :D
  • As long as you are good at it, I will join meydey for a clip and pedi, and since I have surgery on Fri could you shave my legs too. People dont realize how many things we cant do sometimes. Good thing I have a wonderful hubby!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,047
    The first method requires a lot of attention and quick reflexes, so this should not be done after taking any pain medications.

1- Startup your lawn mower
    2- Very carefully, with now shoes move your toes, one at a time 1 1/3 inch past the white marker on the lawn mower deck

Works great

Second method, somewhat easier

1- Start your weed whacker. I like to go with the electric kind, so the whacking can stop quicker.
    2- Carefully tilt your weed whacker at a 37 1/2 degree angle and start to move in on your bare foot.
    3- As you get to the first toenail, give it full throttle for 2.3 seconds and let go.
    4- With good experience you can get all 5 toes done on one pass.

This offsets the matter we have in the fact that we cant bend to see our toes.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I had to laugh at your post. When I was about 5 weeks out of lumbar surgery I had to go to a wedding. I wore sandals so I wanted my toe nails painted. Of course there was no one around to help so I painted my own toe nails. Not only were my nails painted,my toes were painted and even a few spots on my ankles. I had to bring a bottle of polish remover to the wedding and pull a member of the wedding party into the bath room to get my feet cleaned up. We got to laughing so hard we were crying. Long story short she had to redo her make-up causing the ceremony to start late. No one in family to this day will let me live it down. I still get tickled everytime I think about it.
    Susan
    But hey at least I did it!
  • Ok count me in on the free pedicure, I need it bad, whe your toes start talking to you its pretty sad, what is even sadder is trying to reach what is not close enough. I bet we would all look funny if we had a mirror, as for the heavy equipment I think I better pass on it, besides gas is to expensive to try and chop of a limb.Good idea though, someone had to much time on their hands when they came up with that one. Let me know when and where for the free pedicure.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    But if you show up in the Sierra Nevada mountains in California tomorrow at 9:00 am I'll give it a try.
    Good luck, Jim image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • A bench grinder works really well too...
  • I was so hoping to get that free pedicure, but I am to far away, go figure. Thanks for the offer though maybe someone else closer to you can take my place, gy the way I forgot to ask, which method did you plan on using,lol Sorry I had to ask. Take care and enjoy those little things, they are what counts, it means you have adapted. Good Luck and laughs. Hey we can picture this in our minds, I wonder how close we are.
  • I can't help but chuckle, but the sad part is I understand how difficult toenail cutting is! Mine grow slow so I guess I'm lucky. But I dread it so much I wait until they hurt when I put my shoes on. I have grinding wheels I can hook up to my air compressor, I wonder how they'd work?

Jay
  • Great post! Nothing better than a good laugh to start the day. Hmmmm, pedicure would be nice and a trip to the Sierra Nevada mountains to go along with it!!! I'll take a room with a view please, lol.

Best to you,

Marianne
  • I am with you Mari, we will share a room but we want the penthouse, the very best one .That way we can have champaign with our pedicure and maybe while we are there we might find someone to do a manicure and a massage, and so on. Sounds like a plan to me.
  • As I sit in my recliner, toes pointing up, I can see the disasterous remains of the pedicure I had pre-op 5 weeks ago. Not a pretty sight. Since I can't talk anyone in the family into having a go at them, I think I'll have to pick up the phone to make that airline reservation. A suite sounds good. Maybe we can get a group discount on the pedis. While we're at it, I'll see about scheduling mud baths for us - but only if your incisions are all healed up!
  • Jim I'll ship my air compressor and grinder wheels to you, sounds like you're gonna have your hands full!
    Jay
  • I love your posts, and the humour you bring, I've missed them the past little while!!!
    My hubby always laughs at me when trying to cut my toenails, it's not so bad with the right foot, but man, do I ever have to contort myself to get my left foot done!!
    I also had to buy a mirror for the shower, with suction cups so I can see when shaving my armpits!! I like to think of myself as an "au naturelle" kind of gal, but I do have a line... LOL
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
    And no one showed up! I spent all last night thinking of how I could do all the pedicures.
    Pete, Yours sound like the most serious. I figured my portable gig saw with a high tensile 32 teeth per inch blade would work.
    All of you girls need the tender touch. So my Dremel tool with all it's accessories would have cut, sanded and buffed. And as for color I have some Forest green rust oleum spray paint left over from a project. And for contrast I have some locktite, in red. I could also sprinkle some left over metal shavings from another project.
    And for Dilauro, You Savage, well lets just say I'll need the help of my local tree trimmer.
    Now I could have done all of this from the comfort of my shop. And the wainting room would be in the house with a view. A sound proof room of course!
    But to bad no one showed up! The fun we could have had! Or the fun I could have had anyway!!!
    Good luck, Jim image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />
  • You are so funny, I too would have used the soundproof both, wouldn't want to scare the others away with the screams, as for the see through , I dont think that would be a wise idea, maybe a one way glass one you could see in but thet couldnt see out, and last but not least I would have the paramedics standing by. Oh by the way I think I speak for the girls we like pink so it wouldn't have worked out anyway. Thanks for the laughs we all neede that.
  • You're a hoot.... Might need a chainsaw in the mix, too.
    Do you do tuneups too? I got a screw loose.
  • i just got back from trimming my nails under water...it's soooo easy. just use snorkle, grab foot and when your in water the toe comes right to you. trim away, float away, no picking up remnants of nail. oh by the way wd40 for the trimmers!!!
  • On the porch on the swing, takes a while. Have to do it there as I am not picking up clippings!

Noticed last time I did it there is about 3 clippings worth gathered around that swing....

I was hoping mice or insects would carry those off?

Darn, I guess I'll have to sweep....or...maybe they'll be gone by spring? NO!, that's what I'll do, set up a camera and website so people can watch the clippings and see if they get carried off!
  • I use the belt sander - I just pull off the socks and kind of let it drop on my toes -one at a time. The toes knuclkes do get a little chewed up, but what the heck, It gets the job done!

LOL
  • a pedicure post would be controled by women but us men are doing well on this one...we are so creative...RIGHT?
    Pete, I think your really on to a discovery there.Better get a patent!
    Good luck, Jim
  • I am rolling LMAO.....that made my day!!!!
  • Two things come to mind I was just going to look at what was lose under my truck I got the creeper out and with some creative moving got on the creeper … I saw the loose muffler pipe … ok now get up off the creeper … I could not get up at all I waited 30 minuets for my wife to get home …..

The next smart thing my Harley has been in the garage for a bought 5 years I got it running climbed on a quick ride down the street before my wife came hoe (she would freak out on me )…. Home safe in the garage …. You guessed it I could not get off the bike … busted ….

Sometimes it’s more a bought things you usta do … and the reminders that you still can’t do them……
  • I never thought of that and I am a toe picker for sure. Okay -laugh- its true - the lady who does my pedicure shakes her head everytime. I only reply that I was JUST trying to help her out. - Her response is ALWAYS the same- "DONT help me Shannon, Ive got this!" How on earth am I gonna pick at my feet if I can't get to them -DAMN IT- why did I ever think of this?????
  • Love the stories and suggestions :))(

Hubby does take care of mine ( Thankfully ). I "can" do them myself but it is very hard and painful.

Hubby says mine are so hard he should wear eye protection as the clippings fly every where. Guess that is from being a diabetic.

In the past when I could get in and out of a tub ( early into my injury ) I would soak them forever and then get them off myself in the water - was not too bad...

Some of you all sound like you need a dremel ( sp ? ) lol ;)
  • I go to a Nail Shop they are mostly owned by Asians, for 15 bucks and a 5 dollar tip and a foot rub, scales and all how can you beat it. At least my feet feel good. I don't trust my wife cutting my toes, I am sensative, in fact he nipped me one time, I fired her. lol
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.