Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update Monday::ANOTHER PROBLEM see #44

iowarobiniiowarobin Posts: 1,268
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:SS Friday I am going to have the surgery to remove my hardware. I am hoping that the recovery is fast and alot less painfull than the fusion was. I am anxious to get my life back. I hope it works! Getting nervous.
Got my stitches out from my knee this morning. Went to PT and it is going really well. So I guess I have that to be thankful for. Hope everyone is having a good day.

• just wanted to wish you good luck with the removal of hardware...you need to be in good shape to keep up with the new grandchild >:D<
  • Good Luck on the removal of your hardware.

God Bless
  • I'll be thinking of you Robin! I hope all goes smoothly and looking forward to hearing from you afterwards.

Best to you,

• we'll be thinking of you & hoping that all goes well/quickly/"uneventfully" as they say..

Please keep us posted afterwards on any pain reduction, etc, after you feel well enough, of course.

I'm glad your knee is doing well!

I'm so happy for you! Truly! It's my dream to someday have my hardware out, as it is the cause of most of my on-going & chronic pain. May you "sail thru" this & go on to a great new life! Thumbs Up!!

All the best!

• Just want to say hi and let you know I have been thinking about you.!
    One more time Congrats on that new grandson.. Grandma!
    Hugs and good wishes to you....Patsy

• Hi Iowa Robin,

Wishing you the best outcome for your hardware removal and a great recovery/less pain.
  • I am getting so scared. I just remember waking up the last time and remembering that I thought I had gone to he***. I cant find enough people that have had the pain I do that have had it out, and know what I am up against. Its the not knowing that scares me. What if it doesnt work? What if I wake up feeling worse then when I went in...I am just nervous, as even though it was 8 months ago, the fusion is still to clear!!! I will be ok..I will be OK..I will be OK... :SS :SS @) @)
  • Iowa Robin,
    yes, you will be OK. Bring a positive attitude with you, you'll do great!
  • Hang in there and try to push the scary thoughts aside. If you are like me, the current lifestyle is unsustainable and while surgery is a last resort for most of us it can lead to a better, pain free life. Best wishes for an easy recovery and pain free days!
  • Hi Iowa Robin :)))

Hope all goes well on Friday for you and that there will be pain free days ahead. It's normal to be scared, but try to have some relaxing moments - I get immersed in music; or perhaps you could have a facial.

Here's a >:D< for you from Oz.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Not quite as scared,now. He told me recovery would be alot like last time only instead of feeling like a Mack truck hit me it would be more like a volkswagon. Now that helped =)) He told me I would be in 2 days, and be up walking as soon as I wanted. My restrictions would be the same, for muscles to heal, but it would heal faster. He said having a fusion first the pain wouldnt feel as bad, but still be ready for pain. He tried to reaasure me that things would be better, and said enjoy my last week of pain. HA HA Anyway, Friday at 1:00 is surgery time, unless something changes. Looking forward to getting my life back from the PAIN MONSTER =)) =)) =))
    Thanks to all you for you prayers and well wishes! I love you all and cant wait to report back to you how easy it is :jawdrop: . So that you all can go forward with yours!!!
  • Dear Robin,

Well, tomorrow is the big day!

I'm glad to hear the talk you had with your ortho gave you some indication of what your recovery will be like. It always helps me to know ahead of time, what to expect. I will be hoping this time around will bring you less pain during your recovery and the healing process isn't as long.

Best wishes to you, my friend. Many prayers are coming your way as you get ready today, have your surgery tomorrow and then every day thereafter.

Wish I could give you a hug in person... >:D< >:D< >:D<

Much love to you,

Tammy :*
  • I'm sending a 1,000 special prayers your way! I love hearing it will be more like a VW running you over, lol.

Best wishes to you,

• I think your surgeon tells the truth. I haven't had hardware removed, but when I had a second surgery this past Jan. over the site where I had my fusion, I was really amazed at how much easier it was.

My incision was as big as for the fusion and right next to the first one, so it seemed to me I should have had similar pain. The doc sent me home with 5mg oxy and when they handed me the prescription, I almost laughed, and was thinking "why bother??" But you know what? I never took one of them...I just didn't need it.

I don't know if we become slightly numb or desensitized, but, at least in my case, it was not painful. I came home from the hospital and immediately baked brownies. I healed quickly.

I hope the same is true for you, too!!

• Just remember "you will be OK, you will be OK, you will be OK". And according to your doc it won't be any worse than what you've been through.

I will be thinking of you. Must be great to finally get that "monkey off your back" so to speak. :) I mean, your hardware. :)

>:D< >:D<

• Hi Robin. I just wanted to say that I'm hoping things are 1000 times easier for you than before. I'm wishing you a good and positive surgery and recovery.

Take care and we look forward to hearing that you're finally home and recovering.
  • I am ready to get this over with. Thanks to all for the warm wishes and prayers. I am looking forward to the Old- New- Me! =)) I am hoping that I can tell all of you to do this surgery and that it is totally worth it! See ya when I get home! :SS :? :H
  • Good luck, Robin dear! Save your hardware & make a Lucite paperweight out of it so when you look at it you can appreciate having it OUT!

I saw mine b4 they put it in--it's Teal Blue (this falls into the "Who Cares?" dept---like the color makes any difference?!) Let us know what color yours is/was, if they give it to you --or is it considered bio-hazard waste, but @ $21, 000 dollars(what they charged my ins co) I'd sure want to see it! Make a necklace from it! Dangly earings! A trendy brooch! (What a converstaion starter!)

Seriously, I will be thinking of you tomorrow @ 1:00 & sending special thoughts & prayers your way. Write later when you can about the whole experience--many of us are facing this in the future & would like your expert opinion!

All the best!

• Good luck my friend! So sorry that I have been away this week. I hope your surgery goes smoothly tomorrow and that you are pain free soon. That would give the rest of us some hope.

Post when you can and let us know how you are. >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • I hope it all goes well with your surgery and a fast recovery. I do hope you'll be painfree soon. I'm saying a prayer for you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hi Robin

I hope all goes well during your recovery, look forward to seeing you back on the forum with good news on your progress. Thinking of you.

Take care

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I had my surgery and it was not so bad. I had good pain control, the hardware is out and the fusion looked good. Now I have to take it easy no BLT unless its a sandwich! =)) I kill me! As you can tell my mood is better. Dr says no shower til Monday. My poor hubby! But the dogs dont care ;) I think it went well, but I am still under alot of meds. But let me tell you, no NEAR as bad as last one. For all of you aprehensive ones. Had blood pressure problems all night, too low. So they watched me really close. But all in all, all is Well so far. Thanks to all my friends here for all the well wishes and prayers. I know it helped! I will hopefully be giving you positive updates soon. Have a good weekend. Love, Robin >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • That didn't take long. Hope the recovery is just as easy and that you'll be on your feet, feeling better before you know it.
  • Hi Robin, I am so glad that you came out ok. Just take care of yourself.

God Bless
  • So nice to hear that everything went well, you're over the biggest hurdle. Now it is just the healing process :) Did they give you your hardware?
  • I am so happy that things went well. I wish you a speedy recovery. Hope to hear that every day is getting better and better.

Best wishes to you,

Marianne >:D<
  • I'm so glad you're home and doing well. Rest up and don't worry about the shower. I'll bet the dogs like you better without one!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • and that you are home. Will definetely be discussing hardware issuses with my doc on the 17th. thank you for taking the time to message me! Keep us posted!!! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers
    Mom to Tony 13, Gavin 9, and Donovan 7
    Surgery 1/07/2009:
    1. L3-4 decompression laminectomy and foraminotomy
    2. Left complete L3-4 discectomy with decompression of L4 root.
    3. Posterior lumbar interbody fusion, L3-4 with 10-mm Capstone cage and autograph.
    4. Posterior spinal fusion L3-L5 with iliac bone graph and BMP
    5. Legacy instrumentation, L3 to L5
  • That's excellent news.

• HURRAY!!!! <:P so glad all went well!! now on to a perfect recovery. =D> follow all your doctor's order's and get plenty of rest.. :D i am sorry i did not hear about this sooner but my thoughts are with you now.. :D best wishes! >:D< Jenny :)