Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need a bit of advice

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
This one is a long one..

But, cumulative car accidents (2 rear enders, one head on collision) and getting knocked unconscious during a hockey game finally caught up with me 2 years ago.

2 years ago, I took a desk job and right away, started getting bad intense burning in my fingers and upper neck pain. Shortly there after, I lost the use of my left bicep, it went mush and had bad discoloration of my left hand.

I went to a doc, was diagnosed with a pinched nerve, C-5 area, x ray revealed mild osteoarthritis in the same area.

Eventually, left arm came back, although my brachial muscle still wont fire, its gone.

When I had this initial injury, I would lie back at night and get twitching throughout my whole body, including my legs (which also got tingling). I went back in, asked for an MRI and basically waited every since (note, I'm in Canada, US folks, consider saying NO to universal health care).

Eventually, things got better, started going back to the gym and training. Put on some weight, became a fitness instructor (I'm, 39).

About three months ago, started noticing some neck pain and numbness down my entire left side to my buttocks.

This time though, it hit my right side too. Burning and twitching in my right arm and fingers. My left side became quite weak again. And now, its spread into my legs. Cannot use my left big toe that much, had foot drop for a bit. I'm getting bad atrophy in my right and left legs, walking is a chore. I also hurt my left knee now as well, which pulled out my left hip badly.

MRI of my lower back revealed two minor bulging discs, but not bad enough to cause the problems in my legs. Then started testing for MS, which also came back negative. Finally got the MRI for my neck and brain, after meeting two neurologists. They are both saying that its good, some minor osteoarthritis, but no pinched nerves anywhere. Only sinus disease which may be contributing to my sleep apnea. The one figures that its a neuromuscular condition somewhere in my upper body, which has caused a chain reaction down to my lower body.

I've had two doctors tell me that my neck cannot be causing the problems with my leg, now. And Two neurologists who basically say that they dont really know whats the cause. I feel weakness in my whole left side of my body now and I know that I'm not imagining it.

All last week, I did deep tissue massage and its helped greatly with the symptoms in my right arm. IT was getting to a point where I couldn't sit longer for a minute without burning, pain and eventual numbness in my right arm. Today, was able to sit down for a long period of time, and not much burning, but my left arm, hand feel week, as does both my legs.

Any thoughts at all ?

• that youve got all these problems. i'd concentrate on those two bulges. first off the mri might not be showing everything. there could be a tear inside the disk thats causing your trouble. a study like a discogram would shed more light on the condition of the disc. another diagnostic tool is the standing mri. sometimes a big pain problem isnt shown when youre laying down.
    also have you had any physical therapy to help heal those bulging disks
    youve seen a lot of drs but have you seen a spinal surgeon. if not i would...maybe either an orthopedic or neuro surgeon who specializes in the spine.
    meanwhile welcome to our group. youll learn a lot here and also make some friends. take a look under FAQ at top of page and get into whats available here...best of luck and keep us informed....pete