Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fentanyl Patch - SO SICK. Ideas Please !

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Chronic Pain
I have been on 75 mcg of Fentanyl since late Thursday afternoon.
It kicked in today, and I feel much better pain wise. BUT I am SO sick to my stomach. :&

I am chewing on Ginger Snaps as I type this. ANY ideas for helping to get rid of this.

I do work from home ( Thankfully ! ) But I can't do my job laying down, which is the only thing really helping right now.

Also should this be a temporary thing? Oh I sure hope so!

Thanks, Beth :)

• One question- where did you place your pain patch? I had the same problem until a pharmacist told me to put it on my belly. Fentanyl works best where there is a higher concentration of fat cells. Before, I was putting the patch on my chest and I was having nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and headaches. After putting them on my belly, ALL of those nasty side effects went away. I felt normal from there on and never had a problem again. Even when my dose was increased, I didn't have any side effects. I went up to 100mcg and changed the patch every 2 days.

Just give it a try and hopefully you'll feel better. I noticed the side effects went away as soon as I started putting the patches on my belly. Take care
  • will subside in a day or so, and when you change the patch, do as Meydey suggested and move it to your belly. You will probably need to put tegarderm or some other bioclusive type dressing over it to hold it in place, but other than that, you should feel a lot better .
    It does give great pain relief. The nausea thing may just be a side effect since you aren't used to it yet.
  • The nausea should go away if you put it on belly as I have. I had to do that once I realized it was going into my system to fast on my chest. Works alot better for me. Have you changed your patch yet?
  • Sorry Robin I over looked your question - yes last night at 5:30 I changed it but like I said I put it pretty high up ( right under boobs ) ---- so maybe that was the problem.

• Thanks all. >:D<

I just now got back out of bed - still feeling pretty rough.

It is on my stomach but a tad higher - closer to the chest area. I moved it lower today as it was not sticking very well.

When I did I forgot to wash my hands and from there got very ill :sick:

So I am not sure if it was from being too high up or because I forgot to wash my hands after wards and ate a cookie shortly after :(

Hubby ran to a all natural store and got me Ginger "candy" to chew ( warning they taste nasty! ) and that seems to have helped some.

I won't be doing either higher placements or forgetting to wash hands afterwards again.
  • You might find that on your stomache to the left side and then next time the right side should work pretty well. I think you will get used to them and not have much problems. It just seems to take a while to get in the groove. Hope you feel better soon. Also once you put them on, it is really hard to move them. Just make sure you rotate side to side so that you dont have them on the same side each time. Good Luck
  • I'm glad to hear that its finally working for you pain-wise, but sorry that you are having such terrible side effects from it. I hope this passes quickly!! I'm glad that you have been posting about this though, as my PM has mentioned the patch. Now I know what I might expect, and now where I'll put it, if I do get one... Right on my newly acquired, extra padded butt!!! =))
    Feel better soon!!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • lol I was thinking the same thing - well if I ever lose this weight where will I put it - on my rear end of course as it always remains well padded lol

Last night was rough - still not 100% back this morning, but going to give going to work a try :)

A part of me says the Drs. should warn us of all these nasty side effects & another part says that is he had would I still taken it?

I walked out of my bed room this morning without my cane!!!!!!!! :)

First time in a long long time my cane was not right beside me.

I am happy to hear my excessive posting about this med. is helping someone else ;)
  • Just keep putting the patch on your belly. I usually placed in on the lower quadrants and used Nexcare medical tape to make it stay put, and I taped all sides of the patch. I think what happened was that you put it way too high up on your abdomen. Hopefully now it will reduce your side effects too. Take care Beth
  • I used to be on the Duragesic Fentanyl patch what brand are you on?

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.
    Edited by moderator JEAUX

• I am on the watson brand.

Yep this is a mistake I won't be making again ! I am taking everyone advice and remembering it :)

Thanks !
  • I'm new to this - googled "fentanyl pain back" and found your site - did notice from this posting/s that all seem female...not being chauvinistic, but is being male statistically deviant for this type of "condition/issue"? I'm married (22 yrs) & the father of 3 (17, 19, & 21) - we have an autistic son and live near ATL, GA. I'm also a special ed teacher (EBD) and have been DEALING w/ this back thing [C-6/7; C-5/6; L-4-S1 Fusion w/ all the hardware] since 1997!! I was just MRI-ed, & now Thoracic region has another herniation...I've tried ALL the pain meds and Fentanyl (50mg) ea. 2 days w/ 7.5 Oxycodone to cover breakthrough, ea. 8 hrs) - hell can't have any surprises for me. I do place my patch on my chest, but used to the med - my ISSUE is earthquake intensity jolts - I've bitten my tongue many times - once all the way through the tip. Started top take Baclafin (sp?) - sorry for the novel! It is great to read about so many that are so like me (though not good for all of you - I'm sorry!) - thought I was simply & plainly grossly deviant. SMILE. My one down w/ the patch is my lack-luster attitude - loved to read, spend time w/ kids, talk w/ wife, heck, just be cognizant...now after work, I'm Mr. Zombie. Alternatives, besides meds reduction?
    David :-)
  • Beth1187 said:
    Sorry Robin I over looked your question - yes last night at 5:30 I changed it but like I said I put it pretty high up ( right under boobs ) ---- so maybe that was the problem.
    Y'know how every once in a while, we hit those "sensitive" subjects on these boards? Well, here goes one, and nobody even has to answer me.. :))( :))(

When you say right under boobs..

If the girls ain't as perky as they once were and think that removing the bra is an invitation to take a vacation south, right under them tends to be place that builds up heat for many of us, especially those of us with some excess padding.

Even if you're not prone to the fat vs muscle placement issue, having a patch up there under the girls would probably still cause a problem because of the heat, especially if it ends up sandwiched between skin as a result of the girls deciding to take that southern vacation.

• I am sorry to hear all you are going through.

The JOLTS of pain shooting through my body were the worst thing for me to handle!

What about taking a stronger patch and removing or lowering some of the other meds? Hopefully that would help the tiredness & the jolts of pain. OR is it the patch that is making you tired?

How long have you been on the patch? I am really new to it - just started last Thursday, but so far it is not making me tired ( knock on wood! ).
    It has also taken away over 90% of the pain jolts for me. All I take with it for break throughs is Vicdan ( sp? ).

Do you have a good relationship with your Dr.? It is important to have as much pain control as you can & still have as much quality to life as you can.
    Which requires a good Dr and/or Dr relationship.

You may want to repost your situation under a new thread so that more people will read it and you can get more ideas & support.

Please keep us updated how you are doing :)
  • Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you're so sick. I have a lot pof nausea just from my pain alone, even though I take Oxy contin and have been on them for years. As a matter of fact my pain level was so high lastnight that I hurled all through the night. Sorry for the description but I feel for you. I have a prescription for Phenergan, it's for nausea. I didn't take any lastnight due to the fact that I've been traveling, hence the increased pain, and can't find them in my luggage yet. Ask your doctor and I'm sure he/she will give you a prescription or just call it in. I've been taking it for years now and get a new bottle filled every month. They are a lifesaver! Please look into this, it may be just what the doctor ordered. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

P.S. Phenergan will make you a bit sleepy but I find that side effect to be good since I never sleep. The pain wakes me about every hour or so. So I love that it let's me sleep a bit more.
  • place a Fentanyl patch under the girls because I'd never find it again. Thanks to my very sedentary lifestyle they have ballooned and have their very own zip code now :D
  • :))( From you it's a big compliment =))
  • With Friday coming and nerves on edge you made me bust out laughing, thanks =)) >:D<
  • When I started losing weight, the only thing that changed was my bra size. Life can be so unfair!

• Thanks for the laughs ladies lol :))(

Mine have nick names ( from hubby ) wiggles & jiggles :$ lol

I put a new patch on last night & am PRAYING today does not go as the last patch change did!

I did place it lower on my stomach this time - about lined up with my belly button, but off to the left side and then if this works I'll go off to the right side and switch back and forth.

I am very overweight ( sigh ) as a result of not being able to move much the first several yrs of being injured. SO my stomach is a hard place to get it to stay as I have the "apron" belly thing going on :( I did apply paper tape to it the last time and had good success.

Again my THANKS to ALL who have helped me through this >:D<
This discussion has been closed.