Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I guess I'll introduce myself now

JennyfooJJennyfoo Posts: 81
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi fellow pain sufferers! I won't lie, I'm not happy to be here, but I'm glad I found a forum that deals with other pain aspects than those caused by my autoimmune arthritis disease. My other board I frequent is good for those issues though, so I won't get into that here, other than to say I have Ankylosing Sponsylitis which affects my back, knees, ankles, hands, wrists, and shoulders mostly. I'm on Humira which really is helping.

I'm 32 years old and have been a SAHM for 12 years now. My kids are all special needs, having been adopted through CA foster care as infants except my oldest. They were prenatally exposed to drugs and alcohol. My 11 year old daughter has high functioning autism, my 7 year old son is mildly retarded, my 6 year old daughter has severe ADHD and oppositional defiant disorder plus a sociopathic personality, and my almost 2 year old son(and all the others) has a sensory processing disorder, but is fine developmentally and intellectually, speaking full 5-6 word phrases and sentences already. He's a smart cookie and the light of our lives. It's not easy raising such wonderful and special kids, but the rewards are so worth it! My problems did not really begin until AFTER placement of the baby.

In April of 2008, I started having pretty bad sciatic pain, cramping in my calf, lower back pain, and edema in my legs and feet. I went to the ER fearing I had a blood clot due to the calf pain and my high risk, having an autoimmune disease(at that point, I was just beginning diagnostics and they thought it may be Lupus. My doctor blamed my symptoms on the autoimmune disease, never investigating further. In August, I bent wrong or something and one morning I woke up, barely able to stand, walk, etc. 3 weeks of sheer Hell ensued until I had surgery to remove the bone fragments and protruding disc material. My results are covered in my sig line.

About 7 weeks ago I simply bent over to pick up a toy off the floor and I felt an extreme sharp pain in my mid-back. I felt semething slip to the left as well. I immediately went to bed and iced it off and on for the rest of the day. The following morning I was locked in complete spasm from chest to thighs. I saw my dr. a few days later and she ordered an MRI. Had that a few days later that revealed a new T12-L1 herniation, and T10-11 and L1-2 bulges. She referred me to the neurosurgeon I'd seen last year, who passed on seeing me and told her to send me to pain mgmt for ESI series. My idiot dr. staff did not include my MRI with that referral, so my neuro assumed it was due to lumbar bulges that had shown in prior MRI that were causing my problems. Pain mgmt got me in quick and I had an ESI at L4-5 area. It didn't help. It made my pain much worse, caused increased radiculopathy, numbness, and weakness in my leg, making me barely able to walk at all. I no longer could get relief lying down and spent 2 weeks in absolute agony from that shot.

After the shot failed, I scheduled a consult with my neuro. After an exam and ordering my MRI readout, he informed me that it was the T10-L1 causing the probs and ordered a new ESI done in the correct location. He told me to go home and lie flat on my back with my legs elevated for 4 weeks. It's almost 4 weeks later and I'm not much better except the spasm. I'm still waiting to hear from pain mgmt to schedule my ESI. Ridiculous I'm having severe pain still, especially after I walk - even just to the bathrom- rediculoparhy in my thigh, groin, etc in addition to the sciatic.

Sorry this was so long. Kudos to those who read it all. Please excuse the typos and grammatical errors as I'm lying down, using my iphone which can be tricky. Thanks.

• No surgery here - So I cannot comment -

A BIG WELCOME though and I do trust that you find some information that helps you.

On the front of the site is a lot of information and video that covers issues and surgeries that we have along with good explainations of how to reduce symptoms.

• You've got quite the story! I assume you have some good help with the children you have adopted. You're a special person!

Frustrates the heck out of me when office staff don't follow through as they should. Did you know of the MRI results before you had the ESI into L4/5 again? Its so important for us as patients to be right on top of everything that is being done.

Best wishes to you. Hope to hear that things are improving.

• Sorry to hear of your problems. The best I can do is offer you a warm welcome! >:D< You'll find friendly spineys here who will commiserate with you and offer you helpful advice.

Hang in there--moral support is on the way! :) :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Welcome to SH :H You are a strong woman with a heart of gold. You are my hero...I don't know how you do it and no ordinary person could handle so much responsibility and dole out so much love. I'm sorry you've been sidelined with all these problems. We're here for you and you'll find that many of us have faced tribulations like these and understand what it's like just trying to make it through the day. You are no longer by yourself in this battle because you have our support and friendship. We look forward to getting to know you and we hope that somehow you will find relief from your pain. Remember that your kids will always love and need you, no matter what condition you are in. Take care
  • Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I don't have good help with the children other than my hubby and 11 year old(who gets easily overwhelmed due to her autism, but is a trooper). Unfortunately, I don't qualify for SSI or SSDI, so we've been thrown for a loop, having no income to hire help. We are petitioning for an increase in the aid we get for the children due to their special needs qualifications, but that takes months. We did hire a housekeeper to come in 2 afternoons a week and she's been wonderful. She does help with the kids while she's here. We really can't afford her, but can't afford not to have her. We're managing with hubby working from home, but he puts in 60+ hours a week and spends a lot of time on conference calls. He's quite overwhelmed as you can imagine. I've had to step in and care for kids on occasion when we had no other option and it always aggrevates my back and radiculopathy.
  • Yes, I did know of the MRI results, but since most of my pain was in the lumbar region, I didn't question the placement of the ESI. My MRI said the upper herniations were small, so knowing nothing about the thoracic region, I also assumed the pain was mainly from the L4-5 bulge which is broad. Had my MRI been provided to the neuro, who assumed I'd not had one, he'd have known right where the problem was because the lumbar bulge is exactly the same as it was last year.

Jenn Bosch
  • hi!! :H i see by your avatar you like to cook! how do you find the time? :? we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.. i wish you the best in finding a diagnosis and a recovery program to suit you best. :D good luck! =D> Jenny :)
  • Well. I don't find the time lately, that's for sure. Can't cook in bed. I do love to cook and I'm predominantly Swedish, hence my avatar :)

Thanks for the warm welcome!
  • :D :H

You know when I was laid up in bed with sciatic pain I always thought what in the heck would a mom do in this situation -- you are amazing!

I'll keep you in my prayers that you get better quickly -- keep bugging that PM office about setting up your ESI -- it's not bad enough you're dealing with severe pain and a houseful of kids but you have to take the time to deal with unresponsive medical office personnel.

I know how tough it is for you right now but you've got lots of people on this forum who are ready to give you support any time.

Take care and welcome to the forum, >:D<

• good to meet you. we have a few things in common...i was father to two adopted children and we both have health troubles. at least you have your husband handy to pitch in with the household responsibilities. i've been a member now over three months and never heard of more than 2 days for bed rest. i assume that is because of your other health issues...
    your muscles must be weakening by this extended time in bed.
    keep us posted on what your dr recommends. and dont hesitate to get 2nd opinion....pete
  • I keep getting conflicting information about the bedrest issue. My pain mgmt dr. was shocked I was put on full time bedrest and suggested I walk as much as I can tolerate and swim if I can. I have not totally been following the neuro's recommendations cuz I just can't. I did strictly for 2 weeks, until the spasm that had me locked up from armpits to groin, improved. I've been having to care for the baby while hubby is on conference calls, I go sit on the sofa and fold a load of laundry now and then. I get the baby snacks, etc. I am very careful not to stoop or bend, and to keep my spine as straight as I can. The problem is that every time I do get up, pressure is increased on either the nerves, or possibly my spinal cord, and I get esevere radiculopathy that basically has me screaming in pain until I lie down and then it takes about1/2 hour to calm down again so I'm relatively comfortable. The radiculopathy shoots from hips and right below buttocks. I also have labor pain type cramping in my abdomen that is relentless. What's most concerning is the bladder retention and loss of sensation down the front of my leg. It's definitely indicative of nerve impingement. I do know that my herniation bulges in towar my spinal column, which is why the neuro is being so careful and ordered bedrest. Scary. One wrong move and I could permanently injure my spinal chord.

One of the most especially sucky things about this injury is that it happened just as I got my Humira dose increased and started to finally feel better after 18+ months of debilitating arthritis pain. Grrrrrr!

I did finally get my ESI scheduled just yesterday. Their 1st available appt. Isn't until the 22nd. Augh! I'm quite ticked. I found out, after some digging, that my neuro did not follow up with pain mgmt as he said he would. I kept on top of things, calling pain mgmt after my appt on the 11th, and they weren't calling me back, so I called neuro about a week after my appt to see if he had spoken with pain mgmt, and the med asst. told me there wasn't any notation in my chart even saying he was going to. Pain mgmt didn't get the request for ESI from him until the 20th, then auth from my insurance took 6 more days. So, the ESI the neuro recommended I have ASAP is not going to happen until 6+ weeks after he told me to have it. I so need to switch to a different medical group, doctors, something.
  • Hi Jenny

Hope you can get some pain relief soon and can do more for your special children again.

I think you need to be referred to another neuro who wants to help you.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Trish, I called my regular Dr. mid week last week and asked for a referral to another neurosurgeon. I'll follow up Tues afternoon if I've not heard anything yet. Thanks for your concern.
  • My doctors office has been trying to get me in for a 2nd opinion ever since. All the neurosurgeons in my med group are in the same practice, so I can't see another one. My dr. tried to get me an out-of-network referral and was denied by one other network, now trying another. I hope that I cann get in to the one she's trying now, since they have a Neuroscience Institute and are among the top 25 in the country for spinal disorders and surgery. I've already contacted them myself- last week, planning on switching networks if they would see me.