Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello, Heres my story

deloriearddeloriear Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in New Member Introductions
I stumbled across this site and it has been a huge help in my information gathering process regarding the next step with my pain. Heres the scoop:

About 2 years ago I started to feel pain in my left arm with some numbness down into my fingers. I went to the Dr who immediately referred me to Nuerosurgery. I went to get MRI which revealed I had arthritis with some degenerative spinal stinosis in c5, c6.Also, have some nerve damage but I forgot what was causing it..its been a while since I've seen a Dr. Nuerosurgeon is very nice, gave me some pain meds and referred me to pain management. This is where the nightmare begins.
I showed up for the pain management appointment and they had planned an injection that same day. B/C I have a blood disorder which causes me to bleed a little more than normal he refused to intervene until I had a full workup with the hemotologist...fine, but it didn't stop there. He had asked me what I used to relieve pain and I told him the nuerosurgeon (his colleague) perscribed me 2 mg of dilaudid b/c nothing else worked. The pain management Dr immediately said do not ask him for pain meds b/c 80% of people become addicted to them and it will not be used for long term pain management. I felt attacked by a guy who knew me for 15 mins, who himself said for a young man of 33, has a lot of issues with his spine. He immediately assumed I wanted pain meds from him which I didn't b/c I have my nuero Dr taking care of that. I have since gotten the blood work and the pain management office will not return my calls. What is it with Dr's and painmeds...I've never had pain like this, just b/c certain people abuse pain killers why shouls us who suffer be treated like this? I've read many posts on here from people who experienced the same thing. On top of that, my wife thinks I'm not in as much pain as I say b/c how could I at 33 yrs old. My last MRI was 2 yrs ago, is it time I get a new one, I've had muscle spasms like never before recently and if I lift anything I'm in really bad pain. I'm so depressed b/c I love to work out, golf, etc and I can't do any of it at such a young age....I'm a high school teacher who can't be on pain meds during the day b/c it interferes with my cognitive thinking. Any ideas? Thanks for all of your help, this has been a great site and I enjoy reading your posts to get me through this hard time.

• I am so sorry that you are dealing with an uncaring PM on top of all of your other issues. I would definitely find a new PM that you feel comfortable with. There are alot of folks here that have dealt with PMs with the exact same attitude. It seems that the only thing that can be done is to find a new PM. Most of us sympathize with you and know what it is like to be thought of as a drug seeker. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • Hi and Welcome to Spine Health..
    There are many good compassionate people on this site. I have gotten alot of help in many ways over the past year.
    Hugs to all & sending Smiles for Miles
  • Oh boy...I'm so sorry that you've been treated in this manner. It won't be the first or the last time unfortunately. See if you can find an integrative, multidisciplinary pain clinic in your area. They provide a variety of treatment ranging from prescribing pain meds, PT, and spinal injections to doing neurostimulator and pain pump trials. You have to check ahead of time to see what they offer because there are a lot of places where they do only injections and that's it.

It also is difficult when someone can't really understand what you're going through, and this includes our family and loved ones. Pain does not discriminate, as you know it hits you at any time, whoever you are. I came down with fever and swollen joints at 14; was treated as having arthritis, went in remission for years, then fell ill and I was thought to have Lupus, then my diagnosis changed to UCTD.

Anyway, it's bad when people don't believe that you could be in so much pain just because you're young. When I blew out 2 discs in my lumbar spine, I was only 33. I had MRI's and other tests to justify my pain and I never had to prove it to anyone thank goodness. I've been on strong meds since I've hurt my back and I couldn't get out of bed without them.

Well, I hope that things work out for you and we're here if you need someone to talk to. Take care O:)
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. good luck dealing with your pain issues! :D Jenny :)
  • A link to a post I made recently that may help you with explaining your chronic pain:

I wish you the very best. If your pain has changed or worsened, a request for a new MRI sounds reasonable to me.

• Nuerosurgeon was able to get me in tomorrow. Wow, thats fast. Well, just mowed the lawn and arm is on fire. Don't think thats supposed to happen. Thanks for all the quick responses, my wife and I enjoy reading this site to help us through this painful time. Hopefully, my Nuero can rec a new PM Dr.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm glad you got in so soon with your NS. I hope that they are able to help you find out what's causing your pain and find a way to manage it. I know that a lot of people think being 33 is to young to have spinal problems but there are many more here who are dealing with it. I wish you luck tomorrow with the NS.
  • I was looking around the forums to find the answer to a question but couldn't find it. I have had a pain in my legs for the past few weeks, especially after walking around for 30 mins or so. My wife and I have been to the mall 3 times in the past few weeks and each time my leg kills me when we are done. The first 2 times I thought it was my leg muscles telling me they are mad at me for no longer working them out. I'm not sure if I should call the Dr. or if I am just paranoid b/c most of the pain has been in my arms and some in the neck. What has been some of your experience with new pain?
  • Yes, I would call the doctor if the pain is getting worse despite taking your meds. You should always seek medical attention if your pain levels are 8 or above, and/or you are having incontinence and trouble holding on to your bowels. This is a sign of Cauda Equina Syndrome which is a medical emergency.

When I've had new or worsening symptoms, I would call my doctor and follow his recommendations. If I have to go to the ER, he will call ahead that way the staff will know what to do and work with with doctor in treating me.

Is your lower back hurting too? Are you having nerve pain along with muscle spasms? How far down is the nerve pain radiating to? Take care
  • this is a common theme and is brought up time and time again on here and i am sure on other sites .they all think that we want pain meds to get high ..well that's not the reason we want pain meds .i have been through it with a so called pain consultant who refused to give me pain medication {a few days later i was in theater having my second operation after being told that i was not in pain ...again by some one that had only known me for 15 minutes !}the hypocritical oath says to do no harm and to relive suffering {there is more but that's the bit i can remember!}if you are in genuine pain your doctor should diagnose and treat normally this includes pain killers and if you are still in pain you should keep getting pain killers .to be denied pain killers is barbaric .
  • I've had probs with pain management doctors and not being able to get enough meds. One neuro told me to learn to live with it ! I have issues with different areas of my spine, but the lower back (with leg pain) impacts on my daily living.

You've probably been to see your doctor about your leg pain by now - if the pain is continuous, would be a good idea to get an MRI done on your lower back.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Hi all. New to the site, looks like theres tons of info here. At 19 I had a car wreck in 1993. Compressed 3 vertebra. The doctors first put in rods and screws which went from T10 - L2. Took bone from hip for fusion. Year later, the rods had to come out.. so they let me go with just the fusion. the next yr I had to have a 3rd surgery. They took out a rib. put in a cage and some screws and thats what i have now. T11 - L2 is fused together and one of my Sacral vertebra did not fuse together like the other 4 did. This causes pain in my tail bone and other areas. I had 2 caudal injections about 4 months ago. It helped, but now I fear that they are wearing off.I have had to many SI injections, nerves burned. Its just a never ending ordeal.